Fan shroud cutting into rad hose 2.0L - Page 8 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Solstice GXP Specific
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
People, especially one person, have complained about the length of this thread. Interesting since about half the thread is their rants about the length of the thread. I cannot recall a thread where people would spend so much effort to say that the problem some are obviously concerned about is not a problem. Especially one person who seems to think he is in charge. That we should focus on their problem instead. Well, there is a thread for the airbag issue. This is not it. No one is belittling the airbag issue. If you cant add something constructive to this thread, stay out so those of us that care can discuss it. Again, you one is making anyone read this post.
If that is directed at me, you have your facts wrong. I do NOT have the airbag issue. I DO have the hose issue. I still think the hose issue is overblown and am trying to get folks not to panic (I'm not complaining about the length of this thread, why would I?). Why would you think that I think I'm in charge? 'Cos I disagree with you about the relative importance of this? In any case, I'm not attacking you personally, far from it. Just trying to get folks not to spend money (IMO) unnecessarily.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #107 (permalink)

Just got back from checking mine and it is suspended above the shroud and all is good but I'll still keep an eye on it from now on.
1 of 2
TIRESHREDDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #108 (permalink)

Given my personal experience; I would be less than optimistic that GM would give a rats ass about the radiator hose. Like I have stated before, obviously they are aware of the issue, because they went with the sleeved version for the 09s.

For a large corporation, it is always about the numbers first. They weigh the cost of a mass recall, vs the cost of a few targeted lawsuits.

In the grand scheme of things, I would have gladly exchanged a bad hose for the crap I went through. My sincere advice is to deal with the defect and move on. Save the big guns for more serious issues.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
Given my personal experience;
I would be less than optimistic that GM would give a rat's ass about the radiator hose.
---------------->
KappaKadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #110 (permalink)

I took my car in on Friday for the cut hose problem. Service Manager feels that it is not a good idea to drive the car in this condition for very long. He had to order a replacement part and it won't be here until Thursday.

Parts Department only showes one part number for the hose and they don't think it has any protective shroud on it.

The Service Manager agrees that a new hose will develop the same problem but told me that they could not do any changes when installing the new hose that is not approved by GM. Any modification would have to be done by me. He was very helpful and is attempting to get GM to help with the cost of the repair.

For a temporary fix I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of foam insulation for a water pipe for $1.25. Cut off a four inch section, slit it length wise, and installed it around the radiator hose. Took the car out for a drive and checked it every fifteen minutes to make sure the foam was not melting. Seems to be working fine.

When the new hose is installed I will try one of the other more permanent fixes suggested in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan shroud cutting into rad hose 2.0L-dsc02934.jpg   Fan shroud cutting into rad hose 2.0L-dsc02936.jpg  
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #111 (permalink)

Checked our 2 and both being '09's have the nylon sleeve over the hose. But I like the look with the foam wrap that Jack19 is trying. Seems like that would cushion the vibration better. That or use another piece of rubber hose wrapped around the main hose. Letting that wear through to the main one would probably take a while!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #112 (permalink)

If it's foam, it won't last, the rib will dig a spot right down to the hose and it starts over again. The post several pages back showing the '09 part number is the way to go for a stock fix, shoulda had the dealer order that part and be done.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5873 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
If it's foam, it won't last, the rib will dig a spot right down to the hose and it starts over again. The post several pages back showing the '09 part number is the way to go for a stock fix, shoulda had the dealer order that part and be done.
I agree that is why this is only a temporary fix. I will be watching it carefully until Thursday.

Maybe I am being optimistic but I am hoping that GM would not fix a problem on a model car for one year and not fix it for the same model for all the other years.
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #114 (permalink)

If I were you guys, I'd sell the GXP and go buy an N/A cuz it doesn't have this problem.

Ok Ok - just having a little fun is all.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
Parts Department only showes one part number for the hose and they don't think it has any protective shroud on it.
You need to click this link and follow my instructions, to get the 09 replacement part, with the protective sleeve:
Fan shroud fin cutting into botton of rad hose 2.0L - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #116 (permalink)

from that SKY thread...

from a WERKS thread...
WERKSracing Colored upper radiator hoses on sale - 50% off!!!

.......... I just ordered the WERKS part........

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it

Last edited by sirwm; 02-18-2013 at 04:35 AM.
sirwm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #117 (permalink)

Won't the werks part eventually wear through also since there's no protection there?
buffyfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
You need to click this link and follow my instructions, to get the 09 replacement part, with the protective sleeve:
Fan shroud fin cutting into botton of rad hose 2.0L - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

yea, that's what I'm talking about, all the way back on p4 already.

$32, give the dealer the part number and ensure yourself of the stock fix.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5873 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #119 (permalink)

Just called my local dealer where I got the car from and explained the problem. I have been in a few times with the airbag issues, so the service manager is familiar with me and always helpful, he is ordering the 09 hose with the sleeve. It is also going to be covered under my certified warranty, so maybe it depends on the dealership, but I'm covered here.

Parts for Sale -> http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...trictor-87330/

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
silverfox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #120 (permalink)

If it really bothers you, you can kill two birds with one stone. There's no need to replace the hose for one little divot. Just buy a radiator hose splice, cut the hose, and join it back together with the splice kit. Make it a metal splice where the metal will be resting on the rib, and you'll never have this issue ever again.
By the way; I'd imagine that it would be a small obvious leak far before it suddenly busts, spewing hot coolant and steam all over. Who would ignore such an obvious leak?
kd4pbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.