Ping, Boost, New Tune Issues OH MY! Suggestions welcome :) - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Solstice GXP Specific
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ping, Boost, New Tune Issues OH MY! Suggestions welcome :)

So, the story begins like this. Bought my car in May of this year and it boosted to 18#'s all through the warm summer weather and as it got colder the boost level dropped to 14#'s. I have read on here these boost numbers are normal for my area. Supposedly the ECU pulls the boost back in order to achieve the same peak power with the denser cold air so. This would all seem normal but, the first issue showed up shortly after I bought the car when the weather was still warm. When I would shift quickly and abruptly after a full or even part throttle run (say 3 to 4000 rpm) I would get a brief moment of pinging. As the weather got colder the pinging became abit worse and easier to make happen. On the flip side, if I drove the car normally or floored it to the redline then threw in the clutch and paused for a split second before completing the shift it wouldn't ping. At no time during this whole issue has the car thrown any codes. The check engine light remains dark. So I decided to search this forum for someone with similar problems but, no one had the same exact problem. I did find an old post that mentioned an issue with the 2007 GXP factory ECU programming that said the maps for calculating torque, or something like that, were not correct and it caused this pinging issue. I thought ok, I've been wanting a tune so, I contacted Vince at Trifecta and he said all his tunes were based on updated base files so, I ordered and installed the budget tune. My thought was by reprogramming the ECU I would replace the bad factory calibrations with the updated base file and a hot tune to boot. Sooooo, after much over-analyzing I ordered and installed the Trifecta budget tune. After installing the tune I haven't noticed any increase in performance and my boost level max stayed at 14#'s,sometimes momentarily spiking to 16#'s which is what it was doing before the tune. The only positive effect loading the tune had was it seemed to almost completely eliminate the pinging problem but, not completely. It's still there just not nearly as bad or as easy to make happen. My first thought was to look for a boost leak so I lifted the hood and the only thing I found that was obvious the one way valve and braided hose that apparently is part of the crankcase ventilation system had snapped off the air inlet elbow where it mounts just after the MAF sensor. I figured that this engine used metered air and a closed system to vent the crankcase. The day I found this problem was the day before I was to go on a trip so I didn't have time to order a new part. I simply used high heat epoxy and fixed the broken nipple and reconnected the hose and valve. I then disconnected the battery for about an hour then hooked it back up and took it for an extensive test drive. The result was no change. Currently the car does not behave any different with the tune switched on than when it is switched off. It still only boosts to 14#'s. It runs great, pulls strong, hasn't thrown any codes but, it does get bad gas mileage compared to what its suppose too and what other people have reported. Recently on a long trip I averaged about 26 MPG on the highway with the cruise set at 75 most of the time. Lastly let me just say I am NOT blaming the Trifecta budget tune as many people have had great success with it. I am convinced that their is something going on with my car that is preventing the tune from doing what it was created to do.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies
Chitown racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check your spark plugs for proper heat range. Make sure you are actually getting premium fuel. I thought my engine had a serious problem one time. It was the fuel that cause the detonation and black smoke out of the exhaust. I suspect that I got regular even though I paid for premium. I couldn't put the throttle more than a quarter of the way down before it would act up. I never went back to that Sunoco station.
sahein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanx for the reply Sahein but Ive had the tune loaded since Wednesday last week and put over 1000 miles on her since then. I went to visit family over the holiday and have had three different brands of premium from four different stations. I normally fuel up with 93 octane from the local Shell station which is where I fueled my supercharged mustang for years without issue so, I'm not inclined to think its bad gas.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Something happened tonite to further baffle me. I decided to reload the trifecta tune just for the hell of it. When I ordered the tune I selected the ESC button to use as the tune on/off switch. Now ever since I loaded the tune for the first time 5 days ago I had been pressing all the buttons that I would have been able to select just in case they programmed another button by accident. So after reloading the tune tonite I let her warm up abit and start by pressing the ESC button and making a test run. When after several trys that didnt works I started pressing and testing with the other buttons, still nothing. Then I messed with all the buttons including the ESC button and all of the sudden I make a pull and it boosts to 23#'s and starts to break loose. WoooooHOoooooo the car felt AWESOME! The traction control was off but I still have no idea what happen to make it work. Soooo, I then tempted fate and I hit the ESC button once and poof back to 14-15 lbs of boost. I then attempted to turn the tune back on by pressing the ESC button again and NOTHING! No change. The tune seems to be gone again. Ugh! I do think that rules out the leak theory as I drove it for 10 minutes and boosted to 21 to 23 lbs several times before I switched it off.

Last edited by Chitown racer; 11-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does it need to be in "Competitive Mode" for the tune to be active? Hit the ESC button twice in a row; then "competitive mode" will appear in the console. See if you boost properly after that. Hope it helps!
rageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

better yet, send vince an email question about this and get the answer directly from the programmer. I had an issue and sent him an email question and instead of answering what he "thought" was the answer, he simply sent another tune and voila...perfect!!
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanx Rageman that suggestion worked perfectly after I found the right button. Instead of programming the ESC button which, is the one I selected from the order menu he programmed the traction control button. NOt a big deal I guess and the tune is AMAZING! It truly feels like a whole different car. Juspimpin, I did email Vince late last night he just hasn't had a chance to reply I guess and then I found ragemans suggestion. I wasnt aware I had to hit any button twice in a row to activate the tune or look for any specific display like "competition mode". Maybe these instructions are posted online somewhere but, I was never made aware of them. I think Vince should make up a simple instruction and trouble shooting sheet and send it along with the cable or have one online and send the link. Oh well mines loaded and working fine so, I'm all good. Guess I can send the cable back now, thanx everyone who replied for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by Chitown racer; 11-26-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh good; glad you were able to decipher my intent. My Sol is stored for the winter, so I wasn't paying close enough attention :P
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well I live in kentucky and its 57 degrees today so, not ready to put her up just yet .

I do want to share this recent moment with the rest of you before someone catches on and flames me for it...lol. You ever have one of those major DUHHHHHHHHH! moments. One where you can literally feel a dunce hat appear on your head. Well I just had one today. Let me first say I've only had my Sol for about seven months. You'd think that would be enough time to find out everything about a car you own and usually, I make it a point too. So here it is, I thought the ESC was a totally separate button from the traction control, imagine my surprise and embarrassment when I found out that, not only is it just another function of the traction control button but, that ESC is actually a mode I wasn't aware my car was equipped with. I had no idea what ESC mode was...lol. So, bottom line is, I need to make it a point to study my car better and Vince programmed it to the right button I just didn't know enough about my car to know that. So, my apologies to Vince for thinking he made a mistake. Man do I feel stupid...lol
Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh good; now I don't have to look for an ESC button. The traction control was the only one I was aware of. I'm only about 5 months into ownership, so I'll be right there with you!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Huh? If you thought you were pressing the ESC button and weren't, what button were you pressing that your thought was the ESC?
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

If you have an owners manual is all explain in there.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well I bought my car used and apparently the last owner removed the owners manual. I suppose I could find one for sale online somewhere. I wonder if the gxp has a separate manual from the base solstice or if they were all the same?

Anyhow, other than what seems to be a lack of adhesion of my tires to the pavement now, I'm still having serious ping if I shift abruptly. The car pull boost out quickly and I imagine it pulls timing. I'm going to put some fresh plugs in it and see what happens. That is all for now.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Founding Member

I believe if you go to the other forum called Ka....
You will find the GXP manual in there.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you are not timing your shifting and have gas pedal engaged at high rpm similar to trying the no lift shift you will get the behavior you described above with the tune. If you shift quickly with your foot off the gas you should not have the ping.

The Trifecta dealers exist to inform folks of the products and provide more customer coverage. We may actually have more time to help and can still get timely answers if we don't know an answer for folks when Vince gets busy.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.