Any ideas? Buzz with Galaxy s3 to aux - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Audio & Etc.
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Didn't read the posts, but I believe it's a ground loop, happened to me with my iPhone...they make cables that have the ground built in, sorry on my
Phone or I would try to link it...it's the same type aux input cable, just is specifically for this purpose
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yah, sounds like you basically need to reference the ground off that cable from the power supply.

I had a very minor buzz/whine when I would occasionally plug my iPod classic into the stock aux jack, one of those worked for me.

If you can reference the ground like I mentioned, it should do the trick. But like others have said you may be able to buy a cable that would essentially do it for you, it should do the trick.

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 11-15-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

But that is what I did, which helped but did not completely solve the problem. Or am I missing something here?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Oh, is that what you did? I thought you just tried one of those "filters"? If one of those ceramic filters didn't do it, you will need to basically do what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
The choke may work, but I think you have a ground loop. Basically your phone is grounded through both the power adapter and the audio cable, forming a loop circuit that acts as an antenna for electrical noise. If you can get an audio cable that has ground (/shield) only connected at one end (or modify one as such) it may well cure your issue.

Try the ceramic choke you ordered first. If it doesn't help, I'd try the above.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Sorry if I am being dense, but I know very little about electronics other than plugging things in and turning them on. This is what I bought, which reduced the buzz that varied with engine speed to the crackly white noise that doesn't. I think this is what you are still telling me to get - or not?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Last edited by Treeman; 11-16-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

Treeman, the thing you got is a ground noise isolator, but it works (at least most do) by using a pair of isolation transformers between the phone and the head unit. So it breaks the ground loop, but can introduce noise and signal loss of it's own. Depends on the design/implementation/parts quality

I see that the RadioShack version of this has good reviews, but it has RCA plugs and so you'd need adapters at both ends (I think it comes with at least one from the description): Ground Loop Isolator : Isolators | RadioShack.com

What *I* was suggesting was to just get a cable that disconnects the ground-side wire (usually a woven shield around the signal wire(s)) at one end of the cable. The signal ground is then made via the power connection. This, however, may or may not work, depending on the actual hookups in your phone. Plus, you'll need to leave the 12v power connection on all the time (or use a different sound cable) because if you don't have power connected, you've lost the ground connection and you'll have no signal in.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ah, thanks! I want to avoid having to connect the power every time I jump in the car, so let me try what you found. Thanks!
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Treeman, the thing you got is a ground noise isolator, but it works (at least most do) by using a pair of isolation transformers between the phone and the head unit. So it breaks the ground loop, but can introduce noise and signal loss of it's own. Depends on the design/implementation/parts quality

I see that the RadioShack version of this has good reviews, but it has RCA plugs and so you'd need adapters at both ends (I think it comes with at least one from the description): Ground Loop Isolator : Isolators | RadioShack.com

What *I* was suggesting was to just get a cable that disconnects the ground-side wire (usually a woven shield around the signal wire(s)) at one end of the cable. The signal ground is then made via the power connection. This, however, may or may not work, depending on the actual hookups in your phone. Plus, you'll need to leave the 12v power connection on all the time (or use a different sound cable) because if you don't have power connected, you've lost the ground connection and you'll have no signal in.
Indeed, as mentioned earlier, I needed to install some of these recently to get some "noise" out of my stereo.

Again, I mentioned I wasn't aware of they made these for 2.5mm aux jacks. Apparently they don't, but like TS said, all you should need are some 2.5mm to RCAs.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

Treeman,

If you're going to Radioshack, pick up a pair of these ferrite chokes as well (like CS said earlier): Snap Choke Core - RadioShack.com

Then try combinations of these clipped over your signal and power cables. If they have big enough holes (I'm not sure if the linked chokes do or not) loop the cables first and clip the chokes over the paired wires part at the 'bottom' of the loop (like photo below).

Try in this order, until you find a combination that works:
  1. Over power cable alone (with original signal cable)
  2. Over both power cable and original signal cable
  3. Over power cable alone (with eBay GL isolator cable)
  4. Over both power cable and eBay GL isolator cable (try the choke in different places on the eBay cable)
  5. Combinations with RadioShack GL isolator cable if necessary
  6. ... etc.

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 11-17-2012 at 09:46 AM.
TomatoSoup is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks, will do!
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Same thing happens with my 1st generation HTC Evo. What makes it really disheartening is when you're listening to anything and the whole left side of your car provides nothing but speaker buzz with the AC adapter & aux. jack in use. AC charger removed...problem solved.
flowride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.