auto dimming mirror install questions - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Audio & Etc.
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

auto dimming mirror install questions

I'm thinking about getting a gentex mirror (with homelink). How hard is the install? Do I have to rout wires from anywhere else in the car, or do the current wires going to our current mirror (mine has onstar) give me everything I need? I've looked all around the forum, and I'm a bit confused. BTW - I have no plans on using the onstar, so have no problem giving it up.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

There's a pretty detailed post somewhere. You need to jumper one wire to another. 6 to 13 or something along those lines, and then it is basically plug and play. Or you can run wires from the footwell to have the same performance as other cars like adding ambient temp or true auto off.

Try googling solstice dimming mirror. The posts on the site will be easy to find.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Since I also did not care to keep onstar functionality, I went with a Cipa mirror instead of a Gentex one. From my research the Cipa auto-dimming feature was better in the Cipa (faster reacting, the Gentex are actually quite slow between dim/not-dim).

My Cipa mirror has auto-dim, temperature with external temp-probe with a long wire (my sensor is mounted at the front of my engine bay), compass, and map/courtesy lights.

Cipa 36500 Mirror Install
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Jeffgtx, I did look around and saw a lot of how tos, but all of them seemed, as far as I could tell, to be running wires from the fuse box. My understanding from your post is that I could get by with the same wires already running to my mirror?

Carbon sky, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking gentex because of homelink, but if the other performance is actually better and cheaper, the gentex might not be worth the premium.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicMan View Post
Jeffgtx, I did look around and saw a lot of how tos, but all of them seemed, as far as I could tell, to be running wires from the fuse box. My understanding from your post is that I could get by with the same wires already running to my mirror?

Carbon sky, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking gentex because of homelink, but if the other performance is actually better and cheaper, the gentex might not be worth the premium.
Cipa has homelink available as well.

My pops and I have some very valuable tools in our garages, so we prefer to not have to have functioning door openers in the car unless they are hidden, or password protected. He gave me the idea, I just hide mine instead of password protecting.

For example, you know those password door openers people mount to the outside, so they can open/close the garage door with a keypad? My pops leaves one of them in the car he parks outside.

I like to hide mine down here basically just above the OBD2 port:

I've never bumped it by accident, it's hard to find if someone's looking to steal something from inside my garage, and easy to access (no more difficult than scratching your knee).

But if you want homelink, both gentex and cipa offer it.

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 11-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

For my homelink, I 're-purposed' one from a scrapyard car visor. I ran switched (accessory) power to it, so it only operates when the key is in and on (for the same reasons as CS stated).

I used the same power wire for the Malibu (eBay) auto-dim mirror that I used. It's plug and play, including OnStar and interior lights, except for the extra wire and pin you need for the auto-dim power. You can jumper a wire for this too, but it's always-on power, meaning the auto-dim is always powered on and using juice even when you park the car.

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 11-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, my garage just got ripped off. Probably 2k worth of tools and audio gear. Im a musician. Your right about homelink. I'll find another way. Door opener on the keychain is prob the easiest. Maybe flash2pass. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the first time in the history of solstice forum, soup isn't entirely correct.

Yes the power remains on, but only for the 10-15 minutes that the car keeps accessory power on. Then it goes into battery save mode and shuts it off.

When I had a sol with the dimming mirror power jumped at the connector, it also powered the compass. For about 10 minutes after I locked the car, the compass would continue displaying. Then it would shut off.

So it doesn't stay powered the entire time it sits.

That was my experience anyway.

So yes you can jumper. There is a post where a guy did that. I copied him.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's my post on installing the GTNX-341 out of a Chevy SSR.
Another, "Another Rearview Mirror Post" - Wiring Help Needed
You can also install the 50-GENK-42, but while that mirror also has maplights, the circuitry doesn't provide for courtesy lighting when you open the door.

The first issue I see with any mirror other than the above is that maplights are not included. Gentex doesn't currently make any mirrors with built-in maplights.

The second issue is that the pin that receives constant power supplies it to both the homelink buttons and the maplight switch. So, although I could see the benefit of putting the homelink buttons on switched power, it'll also mean your maplights will be on switched power, too.

The last issue is that these mirrors are positive to ground; whereas our cars are negative to ground. So, if you want maplights that act as courtsey lights, you'll need to install a solid state relay to accomplish the task. Otherwise, courtsey lights won't work at all.

The only wire I ran to the fuse box was for my switched power. There's an empty receptacle for a "sunroof", so I wired in an "add a fuse" and haven't had any problems. You shouldn't let running wires to the fusebox bother you though, it's just a matter of removing the passenger side A-pillar and lower trim. Super easy to do.
SSR Rear View Mirror(w/HomeLink), HHR USB Radio, SE Wheels

"Après moi, le déluge."
Black_Out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Out View Post
Here's my post on installing the GTNX-341 out of a Chevy SSR.
Another, "Another Rearview Mirror Post" - Wiring Help Needed
You can also install the 50-GENK-42, but while that mirror also has maplights, the circuitry doesn't provide for courtesy lighting when you open the door.

The first issue I see with any mirror other than the above is that maplights are not included. Gentex doesn't currently make any mirrors with built-in maplights.

The second issue is that the pin that receives constant power supplies it to both the homelink buttons and the maplight switch. So, although I could see the benefit of putting the homelink buttons on switched power, it'll also mean your maplights will be on switched power, too.

The last issue is that these mirrors are positive to ground; whereas our cars are negative to ground. So, if you want maplights that act as courtsey lights, you'll need to install a solid state relay to accomplish the task. Otherwise, courtsey lights won't work at all.

The only wire I ran to the fuse box was for my switched power. There's an empty receptacle for a "sunroof", so I wired in an "add a fuse" and haven't had any problems. You shouldn't let running wires to the fusebox bother you though, it's just a matter of removing the passenger side A-pillar and lower trim. Super easy to do.
I believe Gentex makes models either with Homelink, and no lights, or lights and no homelink.

And yes, you will need a relay if you go with a Gentex, but if you can wire in an auto-dim mirror, that shouldn't be much harder.

The Cipa can do this without a relay, you just need an extra pin like the one I have a picture of in the thread I posted earlier, that Cipa will send to you for free (I ordered mine from Amazon, the instructions say to contact Cipa if you need the pins, I did, they mailed them).
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgtx View Post
For the first time in the history of solstice forum, soup isn't entirely correct.

Yes the power remains on, but only for the 10-15 minutes that the car keeps accessory power on. Then it goes into battery save mode and shuts it off.

When I had a sol with the dimming mirror power jumped at the connector, it also powered the compass. For about 10 minutes after I locked the car, the compass would continue displaying. Then it would shut off.

So it doesn't stay powered the entire time it sits.

That was my experience anyway.

So yes you can jumper. There is a post where a guy did that. I copied him.
The problem is, this ground does not totally disconnect, which is why some people with LED lighting get a constant dim light from their LED lighting long after the car has been locked. It isn't much, but it looks like things that can operate at ~5V will still stay on, and that is within the range of some of these garage door openers.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgtx View Post

Yeah, you're right and I knew that, but as far as I'm concerned it's extra current draw from an uncharging battery, and I'm not happy about trusting that cutoff anyway.

So that's where I was coming from.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
I believe Gentex makes models either with Homelink, and no lights, or lights and no homelink.
That is correct. The only model Gentex makes with maplights is the 50-GENK30, but no homelink. None of Cipa's mirrors have homelink. Since that's what the OP was asking about, that's what I was speaking to. The only models with homelink and maplights are the GNTX-341 (with courtesy light circuitry) and the 50-GENK42 (without courtsey light circuitry).
SSR Rear View Mirror(w/HomeLink), HHR USB Radio, SE Wheels

"Après moi, le déluge."
Black_Out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.