Pal with iPhone - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Audio & Etc.
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pal with iPhone

Up here in the Great White North they lock you into three year contracts for your "smart phone" service. By going for three years the "phone is free"! Obviously this makes as much sense as saying we have "free health care" We don't! We do have high personnel taxes (IMO) and sales taxes that pay for it. I don't want to open a health care debate as our system has been good to me and my family.

I would like open this thread about an iPhone with the PAL ( personnel audio link) from GM. When it comes to technology calling me a Luddite would be kind. So if my questions / thoughts come across as be nice!

As I mentioned my contract is up in the spring. I have an iPad which I love and I will want to replace my not so smart 3 year old phone with the latest iPhone. Ok, now here comes the dumbass questions....
1) When I search old threads and GM they all refer to to PAL with an iPod. I assuming the answer is yes but please confirm....PAL will work with an iPhone 4 instead of an iPod? It will dock etc with the PAL system?
2) If correct and it does work is it worth it? I want to be able to listen to my "geezer music" and control it from the steering wheel ( skip, pause etc) just like I would when I play a cd.

3) Any other comments/thoughts/ on PAL are appreciated.

I have a 2007 GXP factory monsoon system with cd and XM.
Thanks for helping Northern Sol advance into the 21st century!!! Next will be Facebook.....nah I would prefer to be a Luddite when it comes to that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have the PAL and it's junk, only used it for a couple weeks. To be honest just plugging it into the auxiliary port much better.
Alan_L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_L View Post
I have the PAL and it's junk, only used it for a couple weeks. To be honest just plugging it into the auxiliary port much better.
Wow...I wondered about that! So just buy the "portable music player cable" part # 88965274 from Crate Engine for $12.75 versus $200 plus for PAL.
Thank you!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
Wow...I wondered about that! So just buy the "portable music player cable" part # 88965274 from Crate Engine for $12.75 versus $200 plus for PAL.
Thank you!!!
You don't have to go to Crate Engine Depot. It uses a standard auxiliary cable. I got mine at Wal-Mart(Electronics Dept.).

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2

Last edited by Rusty Boltz; 12-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Rusty Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Aux cable is the way to go. I only use aux cables and never had problems. You can get them from any electronic store

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The aux cable works great. The only downside is you have to control your iPhone manually and it does not charge while playing

You can get a plug in charger separately for the phone. Or you can get a GM radio with the USB interface.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
The aux cable works great. The only downside is you have to control your iPhone manually and it does not charge while playing

You can get a plug in charger separately for the phone. Or you can get a GM radio with the USB interface.
Although I dont have the PAL setup in my 2006 Sol, the Aux cable works great. With the iPhone 5 you use the same Aux cable and then just add an iPhone car charger for iPhone 5 (when they come out)! That is the config the I have and use. Controlling the iPhone on the actual iphone is not an issue as it is just one finger away in the Kudo holder/mount.

SSOOO Facebook Group

2006 Solstice - DDMWorks [Stage II Supercharger, Race Backbone, Powder Coated Valve Cover, Coilcover, A-Pillar Gauge Pod & Header Heat Shield Blanket], Privat Gassen wheels (8.5"F & 9.5"R) w/245/40ZR19 (F) and 255/40ZR19 (R) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, Solo [SQR2 Exhaust & High Flow Cat], Eibach Pro springs, VDO Gauges, Razzi wing, JPM [Shifter, Centre console & Door pads], Tint*Master Tint, Kappasphere [KappaShield, KappaROO Pouches & KappaATTIC], Kuda Cell Mount
jackl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I "had" the PAL unit installed in my 2008 GXP and I agree - it's junk. It NEVER worked as claimed. I had it removed after two months as it affected the overall use of the radio - everytime you would start the car, it would go back to the iPod, not where you last left it, so you would have to select SAT or FM EVERYTIME you started the car. PITA.

Much better to just plug into the front of the radio.
mwhited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackl View Post
Although I dont have the PAL setup in my 2006 Sol, the Aux cable works great. With the iPhone 5 you use the same Aux cable and then just add an iPhone car charger for iPhone 5 (when they come out)! That is the config the I have and use. Controlling the iPhone on the actual iphone is not an issue as it is just one finger away in the Kudo holder/mount.
Thanks Jackl!!! Seeing I have the Kuda mount ( love it ) this is the way I will go.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhited View Post
I "had" the PAL unit installed in my 2008 GXP and I agree - it's junk. It NEVER worked as claimed. I had it removed after two months as it affected the overall use of the radio - everytime you would start the car, it would go back to the iPod, not where you last left it, so you would have to select SAT or FM EVERYTIME you started the car. PITA.

Thanks for the feedback!!! I will pass on the PAL unit. This is why I love this Forum...... You get your questions answered and armed with the information you can make the right decision!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhited View Post

Don't know if you ever tried using onstar with yours but everytime it would give you a direction it would go to the PAL even of nothing was plugged in. Then when trying to control the iPod using the radion controls it was seriously about as fast as trying to run a modern program on a out of date computer. Then the reason I bought it was so I could just plug my spare iPod in and leave it in the car since one of the PAL's benefits is that it also charges the iPod, well I guess it was only the early ones because I had a second gen nano and it just displayed "charging not compatible with this device."
Alan_L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
Thank you!!!
Wow... talked about "getting plugged".... yikes!

Agree about just buying an aux cable from WallyWorld. Or, throw in a cheapie one from Amazon if you're doing some online shopping for the holidays.

For the better integration though, which would allow you to control an ipod with your steering wheel, I would pick up a used USB radio from a Chevy HHR or Pontiac G6.
SSR Rear View Mirror(w/HomeLink), HHR USB Radio, SE Wheels

"Après moi, le déluge."
Black_Out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

I drive a vehicle at work that has the GM radio with USB. When I plugged in my Iphone it displayed "device not supported". Aux cable works fine on the same radio.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2
Rusty Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Glad to hear you are going to pass on the PAL. I have had mine since I have owned the car (Jan 2008), and it just sucks. I ended up with a bracket I mounted to a piece of PVC that fits in the 12VDC outlet that holds my iPad. With a cord I bought from Best Buy that has a USB and an ⅛ inch stereo plug, I am able to keep the iPod charged while listening through the Aux jack. I installed an outlet under the center console and use a dual USB port charger. It also supplies power to my Garmin.

That iPod no longer works, but my iPhone 5 fits in there just fine (the Dashhawk is no longer mounted there) and attaches electrically via a lightning adaptor. Plays music through the stereo and charges. This is new, and i haven't used it as a phone yet while in the mount.

Past fun cars: 65 Mustang convert, 69 Opel GT, 73 Olds Cutlass, 70 Chevelle SS, 85 Jeep CJ7

Avatar photo courtesy of Tommyboy, at 2010 NASSM

What do I want to be when I grow up? In denial.
crappa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.