Positive and negative color wires for door speakers??? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Audio & Etc.
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Positive and negative color wires for door speakers???

I'm going to replace my door speakers and tweeters for a pair of 6.5" MQ quarts components. I will run these off the stock radio (I'm looking for quality more than anything) and I can't find in the forum for the wiring color codes for the positive and negative for the door speakers and the tweeters for the base audio (non-monsoon).

Could anyone help me out with this?

thanks!
mospeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mospeed View Post
I'm going to replace my door speakers and tweeters for a pair of 6.5" MQ quarts components. I will run these off the stock radio (I'm looking for quality more than anything) and I can't find in the forum for the wiring color codes for the positive and negative for the door speakers and the tweeters for the base audio (non-monsoon).

Could anyone help me out with this?

thanks!
I haven't had a stock stereo in My Solstice for over 2 1/2 years I wish I could remember the wire colors ....go see your dealer and ask the service manager to print you out the wire diagram for the door speakers.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Martin
GM Roadster Club is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

not an audiophile by any stretch, but you couldn't you get out your volt meter and check to see which one had 12v and which one didn't?

Mileage as of Feb 1 89000 miles
silversolstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

You could always use my foolproof method, trial and error. There's only 2 possible ways Good luck!
Mods: AEM CAI, Stubby, Red Calipers, Debadged, Flowmaster 40, Blacked out Lights, Black Headlight Bezels, 2 12" Infinity 1250w subs, 30% tint on windows and 5% on rear, fresh paint as of 8/12/08 + windshield trim painted to match body
Pauliewog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
Since speakers run on AC, you won't damage the speakers or the stereo if you wire them backwards. They'll just be wired "out of phase" and it might not sound right (sound will seem diffuse instead of focused).

But here's a way to find out: Cut the wires to the speaker and strip some of the shield off the ends (of the wire halves that still lead to the speaker). Get a 9V battery and touch those wire ends to the battery terminals. Watch the speaker cone. It will either push out or suck in. If it pushes out, you have the positive lead contacting the positive battery terminal and negative to negative.

I've never seen this damage a speaker, but just in case, use the factory speakers that you're replacing anyway for the testing.
'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah exactly, trial and error wont damage the speaker.
Mods: AEM CAI, Stubby, Red Calipers, Debadged, Flowmaster 40, Blacked out Lights, Black Headlight Bezels, 2 12" Infinity 1250w subs, 30% tint on windows and 5% on rear, fresh paint as of 8/12/08 + windshield trim painted to match body
Pauliewog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Disclaimer: This is how most cars are wired from the factory, not nesc. the way the Solstice is wired.

Each pair of wires should be the same color for each door, the only difference being that one of the wires will have a black line (or writing on it). Pick either one, call it negative and wire all the speakers in the same manor.

Example: If you are going to call the one with the line on it "Negative", then wire all the negative terminals to the wires with the black line on it.

All of the door speakers will be in phase with each other and there is a 50/50 chance that the Subwoofer will be in phase also. But it doesn't really matter. Read below.

A Note about "Being in Phase": Being in of phase is only important in an enclosed environment (of which our Solstice Convertables will never be considered). Also, its more important when it comes to speakers sharing the same enclosure such as 2 subwoofers mounted in a single box. Here's why...

A speaker cone has 3 positions, Nutral, In, and Out. For this discussion, we'll say a negative pulse moves it In and positive pulse moves it out.

If you have 2 subwoofers mounted in the same enclosure, and give them both a positive charge (think hard bass-drum hit), they both move outward causing and increase in cabin pressure which sounds like a dull thud to your ears.

Now, wire one of the subs backwards and you get an opposite, inward movement on it. At the same time, you get an equal outward movement on the other sub. Since there is no rise in cabin pressure, you don't hear anything (o.k. maybe a little since we're not talking about a perfect world here.) This is considered being Out of Phase.

The effect is similar, although slightly reduced, in an enclosed cabin (solid-roofed car) even you have seperate enclosures for the subs. The effect is even less in a convertable, but it would still be noticible.

All that being said, it is less and less noticible the farther the speakers are apart and the smaller the speakers are (think less displacement of air). It's even less noticible (if even at all) with different sized speakers such as a mid-ranged woofer being out of phase with a low-range subwoofer. Trust me, I have a stereo in my Explorer that you can change the polarity of the sub with the push of a button. It makes no audible difference.

The only time that you'd really want to mind your phase between Highs, Mids, and Lows is in an enclosed competition stereo vehicle where they have delicate instruments there to measure pressure, not quality of sound.

Last edited by Go-N Def; 10-18-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Go-N Def is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

COMPLETE! Replaced the 6.5"s up front with MB quarts and the tweeters. MAN what a difference and its running off the stock headunit. the quality is soooo much better.

yes I got out my volt meter. Cut some of the insulation of the speaker wiring. Put the volt meter and checked out which orientation gave me a positive reading and not a negative. Everything worked out great... now time to replace the 4" and add a sub!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
Quote:
Originally Posted by mospeed View Post
yes I got out my volt meter. Cut some of the insulation of the speaker wiring. Put the volt meter and checked out which orientation gave me a positive reading and not a negative.

Cool man. Congrats on the install. It's nice to know that MB Quart still makes good speakers.
'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry for the delay, but here is the answer for reference. According to the service manual:

BASE Radio:

Left Front
Gray (Negative)
Tan (Positive)

Right Front
Dark Green (Negative)
Light Green (Positive)

Left rear
Yellow (Negative)
Brown (Positive)

Right Rear
Light Blue (Negative)
Dark Blue (Positive)

Search:: Wire Color Speaker Hookup Replace Polarity

My Stereo Install--> Ultimate AVIC D3 Install thread

Team Solo Performance

Pioneer Avic D3 - Nav System
JL Audio ZR speakers, Alpine PDX 4.150 amp
Solo Performance Street Race exhaust & High Flo Cat
JPM custom interior (Shifter, wheel, console, handles & door panels)
Painted dash and windshield surround
Custom Valentine1 flush radar display
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
DDM Works Big Brakes, Backbone, intake and intercooler

Last edited by Morfious; 11-03-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good info to have for the search tool. Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U View Post
Since speakers run on AC, you won't damage the speakers or the stereo if you wire them backwards. They'll just be wired "out of phase" and it might not sound right (sound will seem diffuse instead of focused).

But here's a way to find out: Cut the wires to the speaker and strip some of the shield off the ends (of the wire halves that still lead to the speaker). Get a 9V battery and touch those wire ends to the battery terminals. Watch the speaker cone. It will either push out or suck in. If it pushes out, you have the positive lead contacting the positive battery terminal and negative to negative.

I've never seen this damage a speaker, but just in case, use the factory speakers that you're replacing anyway for the testing.
I have also seen a AA used for this. Speaker pops when connected correctly + to + and - to -.
#5520 3 May 06,
Aggresive, Ebony everything but Leather, Onstar & Monsoon
MODS: CAI & Iluminated Wind Restrictor. stuby antenna, racing pedals. SOLD 28K on the odometer.

31 Oct 07, 08 Brazen GXP, Everything but red stiching and turn by turn nav.
unclefester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

i guess your deciding to use the stock head unit as well then?? and even still... i just finished installing my own one of a kind stereo system and running wires in this car was so simple. everything sounds great but if you have an questions what so ever let me know. i've installed about 5 custom car stereos now

Cheers Bro
GM PeRF. eXHauST
PouNDiN CaR auDio
BRaKe uPGRaDe
SCsolSTINGER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.