Cobalt Gauge Cluster Swap - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Interior/Exterior Functional/Appearance
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cobalt Gauge Cluster Swap

I didnt find any info about this swap searching the forums so I did some of my own research and decided it was worth a try. This cluster is from an 2006 Cobalt SS. The swap itself was super easy and completely plug and play. The one problem I've found is the DIC buttons dont work anymore. Odometer shows on start up then it switches to Coolant Temp (what I usually leave it on). Those buttons have been sketchy since I bought the car so its possibly unrelated. If you guys have any ideas I can try to get that working again I am all ears. Other than that little hiccup, I really like this cluster! The black faces and font are easy for me to read, the night illumination is also very readable and I think has a little more contrast between the needle and the scale. The little bit of silver makes not quite as boring and the new "top speed" is certainly fun to dream about!

RacerDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice, but now your refuel opening locator is on the wrong side
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

See my response to this on the KP forum (What did you do to your Kappa today - Part 2). But you didn't post as much info there. If your top speed is different, then the speedo may be registering the wrong speed across the dial. Have you verified this (i.e. using a GPS with speed readout)?

Also, if the steering wheel buttons were flaky to begin with, it could be dirt in the contacts. It's not too hard to remove the airbag and switches and pull them apart to clean them. Steering wheel buttons problems - a possible fix

Also see: New gauge faces - with corrected "trunk open" icon
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
Nice, but now your refuel opening locator is on the wrong side
I Knew someone was going to point that out! lol! it doesnt matter to me, I know where it is!

The top speed has automatically corrected, I verified that with a handheld GPS.

I'll clean the contacts on the controls and I will probably plug the original cluster back in to see if its an issue with the cluster (most likely)

You mentioned on KP about swapping faces, this wont work because then the speed will definitely be incorrect. I would have to swap with a GXP cluster (iirc), Also the cobalt uses a clear bulb because the numbers light up white and the scale lights up red so all the coloring is within the gauge face. I may still go with a custom black cat face but I would want it to look largely stock like this one.
RacerDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not that you're doing this anyway, but the red bulbs in the Sol's gauges are normal incandescents but with little red silicon 'hats' on them. Those hats can be pulled off, but even so the light may still be very orange, because the bulbs are under-driven so don't light up particularly white anyway.

Good luck - seems like you know where you're going!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.