End all, be all: Curt Trailer Hitch (and accessories) Thread - Page 9 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Interior/Exterior Functional/Appearance
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #121 (permalink)

So I installed the Solo Race exhaust (single outlet) and the Reese/Draw-Tite/HH that is supposed to work with the stock GXP exhaust... and they interfere. I can get one hanger on in the back but not the hanger furthest back. Anyone else have that combination and how did it fit/ how did you get it to work? The hitch went on really easily fwiw.
BW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #122 (permalink)

Is there room to cut a notch out of the hitch? I seem to recall someone had to do that for one of the hitches and one of the exhausts.

Any pics?
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #123 (permalink)

Has anyone wired up a connection for trailer brake lights without splicing into the car harness? There's one thread that mentions the HHR harness connector being similar, but I don't see any mention of an HHR T-connector being successfully used. There's also some mention of an active controller box, but I'm not seeing any success stories for that either. Is the only practical method to splice into the car harness for the 4 wires?

-Bob Lutz
12_month_wait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #124 (permalink)

Anyone with a trailer light connector wired in care to comment?

-Bob Lutz
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #125 (permalink)

Following in the footsteps of Flash's Owner (Flash has a new sibling: M.T. (Mobile Trunk)), I found a scrapyard HHR to pirate a set of connectors off of. The front right corner was the location under the hood.

On the HHR, the connector only has 7 wires in the 8 wire locations. The 8th location has a plug in it. I found a 2 wire connector set in the back left corner near the firewall to use as donor contacts and wires for the 8th spot. The scrapyard charged $5 for both sets of male/female connectors. Also, the colors used on the HHR connectors will not be the same as the wire colors used on the Solstice. This isn't a problem, it just require beings careful when matching it up.

The parts counter guy at a Buick dealership found a mechanic familiar with the connectors. He took a few minutes and added the last wire into the connector for me.

I used a wiring harness from U-Haul. It has LEDs to show that each plug connector wire works. That's a nice easy way to check out the wiring without needing a multimeter or connecting to a trailer. It also has a dirt cap for the connector when not in use.

-Bob Lutz

Last edited by 12_month_wait; 01-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Is there room to cut a notch out of the hitch? I seem to recall someone had to do that for one of the hitches and one of the exhausts.

Any pics?
Yeah ..that was me. the Curt hitch will not fit with a Solo NA axle back..if that's the Solo you're using.
I ended up cutting a square hole out of the driver side vertical support. Then the 180 degree bend in the supplied Solo exhaust bolted right up. Just eyeballed and estimated the hole size. I got lucky.
I jumped up and down on the luggage carrier I made, no issues with the hitch. The vertical part on driver side is wide and thick, so structurally it's sound. The Solo guys offered to exchange the muffler for a shorter Mach, which they didn't have to do..I made it work anyway.
Now we can carry several suitcases on the back JC
JC
jcoryea1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #127 (permalink)

I'm getting either the Draw-Tite (#24833) or Hidden Hitch (#60224) put on my GXP in the near future for around $200, installed.

My question is in regards to the cargo carrier. I am looking at an ATV carrier (#TR65852). The drawback is that it is smaller (20" x 36") than the typical (20" x 48") carriers but I am thinking that the built in 7-1/2" rise will be a positive factor and also there won't be a problem with blocking any turn signals, etc., that might occur with a 4' carrier. I think the aesthetics will be better with the smaller carrier as opposed to the larger one, as our cars are thinner than 48" in the back.

Does anyone else out there in KappaLand have this carrier? If so, does it perform well? Likewise, does anyone with the full-sized carriers have any thoughts about the size and weight of theirs?
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #128 (permalink)
Founding Member

TomShadow, I am also looking to have a hitch installed on my 07 GXP in the near future. I think I will go with a small trailer to carry the necessary supplies. H***** F****** has one on sale for $349.99, has a carrying capacity of 600 pounds, and is lockable and watertight. The reviews are fairly positive, average of 4.5 stars from 53 reviews.
NASSOA Founding Member #80
First 1000 - Deep with Steel/Sand - VIN #366 - Delivered 9/21/05
GM Catback & CAI - 6/20/06
Traded in on new GXP - 1/2/07
Pure GXP with Automatic ordered 10/19/06 - Took delivery on 1/2/07
Solo Street Race exhaust system installed at Nashville, 6/22/07
Carolina Custom Door Pockets
JPM Console and Door Arm Rest Pads
Wind Restrictor windscreen
Debadged and Stripes Added
ASAP Back-up Light Covers
ASAP Seatbelt Light Cover
Rogobuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #129 (permalink)

Make sure the carrier you get is a 1 1/4" tongue to match the hitch - not a 2" one.

I think most of the HF ones are 2".
Old 01-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #130 (permalink)

Gordon: I checked out 'H-F' a couple weeks ago and they have an ATV carrier like the one I was looking at online for $100 less, so thinking about getting that one. I'm trying to keep it simple (and cheap) so that's why I'm just getting the carrier. I don't want to deal with hooking up lights, etc., for a trailer. I'm hoping your selection will work out good for you and I'll check it out when I see you two in June.

Tomato: I don't have any experience with hitches and accessories, but I do know that they make adapters that will turn a 1 1/4" tongue to a 2" one. I do assume that the extra part will mean a little more 'jiggle' to the apparatus. Are there any other pitfalls to using an adapter?
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomShadow View Post
Tomato: I don't have any experience with hitches and accessories, but I do know that they make adapters that will turn a 1 1/4" tongue to a 2" one. I do assume that the extra part will mean a little more 'jiggle' to the apparatus. Are there any other pitfalls to using an adapter?
Yes they do. But you'd need an adapter that changes a 2" tongue to a 1 1/4" one - which they DON'T make. So make sure you get the right carrier size in the first place.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomShadow View Post
: I don't have any experience with hitches and accessories, but I do know that they make adapters that will turn a 1 1/4" tongue to a 2" one. I do assume that the extra part will mean a little more 'jiggle' to the apparatus. Are there any other pitfalls to using an adapter?
They also sell a "wedge" that attaches to the hitch receiver that takes care of the slack. I ordered one when I ordered the hitch, carrier, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2008 Sky Midnight Blue, Redline, DDM Backbone, Probeam & Venom braces, DDM/JPM Diamond stitched leather/Alcantara 2 cup console, Wind Restrictor V2 & Blue lighted doorsills, HPTuned to 310HP/350 torque, ASAP Graphics Blue Logo & SKY side light overlays, MRZ Blue Anodized Engine Bay covers, Putco Nitro Blue Halogen Hi/Lo beam & Fog Lights, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Dashboss datalogger, Curt Redline hitch with a Draw-Tite Cargo Carrier supporting a Koolatron Cargo Box colour matching the car.
Sun Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #133 (permalink)
CPB

found hitch and cargo carrier on E-TRAILER for good price has anyone used this company? what was service like?
Eye Lids painted to match body color
3rd brake light decal SOLSTICE
Air bag light cover GXP
Back up light covers Black Mesh
Verde Calibre wheels machined with black accent
1/4" pin stripe on top fender body line and across rear deck color match to red seat stitching
Smoked Wind Restrictor Solstice
Black painted calipers,engine cover and fuse box cover
Opel GT antenna
CPB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #134 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 1KULSOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
found hitch and cargo carrier on E-TRAILER for good price has anyone used this company? what was service like?
I bought mine there as well ... it shipped and had a few bolts missing ... contacted them and they shipped out a complete new set .. so IMO .. good service and the best price I found.

http://www.solstice-forum.com/forum/...c=8839.new#new
1KULSOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #135 (permalink)

Just a note for everyone, after I mounted mine I filled the frame rails with light density spray foam like used to insulate homes. I sprayed until the foam came out everwere. Doing this cemented all the nuts in place. so if you want to take the hitch off for a better look it will be easy to put it back on. this works well. I just leave mine on all the time they fit so close I don't think they look that bad
Founding Member #99

Last edited by rob the elder; 04-04-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
red one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.