HID kit....which one is perfect? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Interior/Exterior Functional/Appearance
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #31 (permalink)

Should have just bought a SKY then you would already have the projectors on lowbeam and fogs, just have to swap bulbs and wiring. Also, SKY'S have separate high beams so I can use the HID low beams in unison with the factory high beams!
k9onu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Since I started this post, and was told not to do an HID conversion because it blinds on-coming traffic. I must admit, I have watched all on-coming traffic with HID, be it projectors or HID and I (from my personal experience) have noticed that the factory HIDs are WAY more blinding then aftermarket. How do I know the difference? Because I know my cars. And I can say from my experiences that the factory HID is blinding compared to aftermarket. Does that mean I'm going to install them? No..... Just adding my $0.02 like other people have done here......
I appreciate your opinion but it's a tough call. Were the aftermarket installations done more recently and thus better adjusted? When you say aftermarket, are you only talking about HIDs in reflector housings, right? (where the entire housing is lit up like a ricer?)

It's not a subjective detail though, the housing for the bulb is specific to the kind of bulb. I only have 2.5 inches of ground clearance so even factory projectors are directly in my face but the fact remains that there are functional differences between the two.

Here's a highly detailed thread with diagrams and everything

This thread even suggests the Lord himself removes the testicles of those that break this holy decree.

As you can tell, this is a hotly-debated topic between those run HIDs in halogen housings and the rest
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Since I started this post, and was told not to do an HID conversion because it blinds on-coming traffic. I must admit, I have watched all on-coming traffic with HID, be it projectors or HID and I (from my personal experience) have noticed that the factory HIDs are WAY more blinding then aftermarket. How do I know the difference? Because I know my cars. And I can say from my experiences that the factory HID is blinding compared to aftermarket. Does that mean I'm going to install them? No..... Just adding my $0.02 like other people have done here......
I submit, sir, that you're not seeing what you think you're seeing. What you think are aftermarket HID bulbs in cars, are more probably regular incandescent (filament) bulbs that have blued coating and look 'HID white' - just like I suggested for you to try earlier in this thread.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

I read a very informative article written by an engineer that basically said the concept of a conversion kit to HID was wrong. To oversimplify it,he stated that the reflective surfaces in our stock light housings were not in proper alignment with the filament of an HID bulb. So even though there are many kits that fit, the concept will not work as intended. Having had one of these kits( dealer installed prior to my purchase) I thought it would be better, but it just annoyed oncoming traffic. Visability was no better than a good halogen.
Goat67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #35 (permalink)

Fine TS, you're right. There...now can we get on with life?!?! I'm a complete car idiot.... I've spent over 15 career years in luxury car dealerships, but I don't know what I'm talking about. You're absolutely correct.
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.