"How To" Convert Side Marker Lights into Marker/Turn Signals - Page 10 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Interior/Exterior Functional/Appearance
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepbluegxp View Post
This works on all KAPPAs.
This mod now has two methods.

NEW easier way to do this mod, no cost.

Relay method for LEDs
Add an automotive relay on each side marker to convert them into turn signals and still retain the marker for the parking lights.
The relay is installed with the side marker +12V brown wire cut in half and connected to the relay in the normally closed position, position 87a to 30. The blinker +12V Light Blue wire is tapped and the black wire, hook them to position 85, 86.

The following picture is what you need to do this mod.

2 Auto Relays Automotive Electrical, Horn Relays | TESSCO 800 472 7373
4 Wire Taps (Wal-Mart) or Advance Auto parts
Crimp connections
Four 6" pieces of 18 AWG wire (2 pieces each color)

I did a diagram on the box to show how it works.

See the difference

FYI, my mod is being sold by a certain roadster club that uses GM in their name... and according to the site, there are more difficult versions around the web. I don't know how much easier this can be? I didn't patent this mod so anyone can sell it but don't get ripped off for something that is clearly documented and easy.

Two versions to the mod:

The first one is completely FREE (other than spending about 1/2 hour of your time).

The second one costs about 15 to 20 depending on where you get your parts.

See my car on cardomain.com
DeepBlueGXP also on the Skyroadster and Kappa Performance Forum.
Deepbluegxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #137 (permalink)

We did a bunch of these at Penticton last year. Kyle was getting 10 dollar or so tips for doing others cars. He used shrink wrap tube and did a really nice job - per the "easy way instructions" posted here. This year in Lewiston, I was surprised to hear of this "new invention", and that it cost 60 bucks. The method used by GMR was to supply a longer pigtail set and tie in back a little further than the "easy way". So it did require a couple bucks worth of parts. I kinda prefer the "easy way" myself, but if you don't know how to do it, I guess to some it may be worth 60 bucks.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #138 (permalink)
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
What I'm looking for is a way to make those side marker lights shine steady WHITE (and bright) when that turn signal is on so I can see if anything is in the area as I turn.

Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #139 (permalink)

No jumper wire

Made splice inside the wire loom behind plug no jumper wire needed
patbfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #140 (permalink)

Do you have pictures PATbfd?
STEREO: ALPINE SPS-610C, PRECISION POWER 8"
DEBADGED
A.E.M: COLD AIR INTAKE
MAGNAFLOW: DUAL EXHAUST
GXP PARTS: BUMPER, SPOILER, FULL FE3 SUSPENSION
EIBACH SPRINGS: SPORT LINE
KAPPASPHERE: REBAR
DDMWORKS: RACE BACK BONE
NORMS FIBERGLASS: DUAL REAR DIFFUSER
ASAP.DIGITAL.IMAGING: SLOTTED BACK UP LIGHTS,SIDEMARKERS,THRID BRAKE LIGHT,TRANSFORMER OVERLAYS
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
SOLSTICE-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Not being a big fan of just splicing together electrical systems I don't have schematics for, I went the route of relays and blocking diodes to prevent cross-feeding and back-feeding voltages.

Here is the diagram. Works like a charm. Be certain to insulate all of your splicing. I tie-wrapped together and then covered with electrical tape the pairs of relays. On the frame behind the headlights there is a convenient hole already drilled in the sheet metal. Use a stainless bolt, nut and washers to hard-mound the relay pairs.

When in daylight the side marker and front turn lamp flash together. When in night the side marker and front turn lamp alternate. Wife was skeptical until I showed her the results after dark. Now she realizes the Solstice is more visible (particularly ours, which is black)

Just doing a little research for a possible foglight/front turn signal delete on my Sky and came across this post . . . never knew about this even though I was aware of the relay and non-relay/easy mod.

I think if done this way, you could have and LED 194 light in the side marker, and a 3157/4157 style LED in the front and it would still work as a result of the added diodes.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
I think if done this way, you could have and LED 194 light in the side marker, and a 3157/4157 style LED in the front and it would still work as a result of the added diodes.
CS, you shouldn't need double relays to make the nod work with two sets of LEDs. First, the reason (though I have not confirmed this) that the two LED setup doesn't work is that the side lamp needs the low impedance of the front bulb 'turn' filament as a route to ground, and doesn't get this with a front LED.

HOWEVER, if you only use a 3157 LED in the front, you'll get hyper-flashing ANYWAY, so you'll need a low-ohm load resistor in series to fool the BCM into thinking there's a filament there, drawing current. In that case, you will again have your low impedance route to ground, and thus the side marker should flash - even when using DBG's simple splice method.

[NOTE: the way (from inspection) the DBG splice method works is that the blue lines are the +12V interrupted signals to the front turn filaments. The black wires are grounds. Thus you splice the ground of the side marker, to the 'trigger' (+ve) wire of the front turn filament.

THUS, when the turn/flash signals are off, the black wire is grounded through the front filament and the side marker lights. When the turn filament is switched ON, both wires to the side marker are +ve and so the side turns off, but then lights again when the the front goes off - which is why it alternates with the front turn.] NOVA will be back next week with another unsolicited documentary!

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 01-02-2013 at 07:44 AM.
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
CS, you shouldn't need double relays to make the nod work with two sets of LEDs. First, the reason (though I have not confirmed this) that the two LED setup doesn't work is that the side lamp needs the low impedance of the front bulb 'turn' filament as a route to ground, and doesn't get this with a front LED.

HOWEVER, if you only use a 3157 LED in the front, you'll get hyper-flashing ANYWAY, so you'll need a low-ohm load resistor in series to fool the BCM into thinking there's a filament there, drawing current. In that case, you will again have your low impedance route to ground, and thus the side marker should flash - even when using DBG's simple splice method.

[NOTE: the way (from inspection) the DBG splice method works is that the blue lines are the +12V interrupted signals to the front turn filaments. The black wires are grounds. Thus you splice the ground of the side marker, to the 'trigger' (+ve) wire of the front turn filament.

THUS, when the turn/flash signals are off, the black wire is grounded through the front filament and the side marker lights. When the turn filament is switched ON, both wires to the side marker are +ve and so the side turns off, but then lights again when the the front goes off - which is why it alternates with the front turn.] NOVA will be back next week with another unsolicited documentary!
Ah interesting. My take on it was, the addition of the 2 diodes on top of the relays would then allow you to use whatever 3157/4157 bulb you wanted LED or halogen, with the relay method and it would still work.

Or alternatively, I figured adding the same 3-6 ohm resistors per branch of 3157/4157 would work as well if I went LED that route.

I finally decided I'm gonna go with some tinted tail lights (will tint some clear and spray it on). And I wasn't comfortable with that for the longest time because if I did, I would want to go with brighter bulbs. Well I found them finally not too long ago, for a price I was willing to pay.

Picked up some 3157 cree, with projector LED bulbs. Kinda like this:

And one like this for the reverse light:

The red 3157 LED bulbs have already arrived and are they ever freakin bright. My fiance thought they were ridiculous compared to lighting up just a plain halogen 3157 I took out in terms of brightness.

The white reverse light without the peripheral smaller LEDs is awesome as well, but it needs a resistor as well or it will be dimly lit when the car is running.

The guy I'm dealing with for the bulbs has been fantastic about everything except slow shipping, albeit free (and prices were better than Stunner Lights even though I didn't have to order an entire package/kit, and you can order as much or as little as you want, and not just an all or nothing kit with bulbs you probably won't want, and some bulbs you might want but aren't provided, and SL is not willing to sell piece by piece).

Furthermore, the guy I'm dealing with has thrown in resistors for free (so far 5 for free, and may end up being 7 if I do the the front turn signal delete). If I did, I'd mount an amber 3157 in the top corner parking light above the projector headlight. I'd also tap the turn/hazard circuit, to include the 194 LED in the fender marker light to alternate flash, and add an LED strip that would go around the edge of the headlight housing. So basically the front turn signal would be deleted (I'd simply paint it off black for now, and perhaps add some auxiliary lighting in the future), graft a 3157 socket ring onto the back of the existing plug for the 194 in the top corner parking light, and add an LED strip on a parallel branch circuit to the fender light. Which is what got me doing some turn signal research.

I've done some measuring, and I should be able to run the LED turn signal strip the way I want to and could even setup an Audi-esque LED DRL treatment as well. Just debating now if I want to add an LED strip for DRL type function since I deleted my DRLs when I went with the 55W HID headlights. When I decide I'll order the LEDs. But still gotta get this breather tank project done, and it's been wintery lately and looks like it'll stay that way till at least next week when I'm back in school.

Oh, and thanks again for being a sounding board for ideas with your expertise as usual TS!

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 01-02-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #144 (permalink)

Just a quick addition to this thread... I've created a new thread at the KP forum to describe how the 'simple' version of this mod works and ways of keeping it working when you migrate your lighting to LEDs!

See: Making the DBG 'Convert Side-Marker Lights into Turns' mod work with LEDs
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.