How to disable the EDR? 2006 Solstice - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Interior/Exterior Functional/Appearance
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

How to disable the EDR? 2006 Solstice

Greetings.

Can someone please provide instructions about how to disable the EDR while at the same time leaving the air bags operational on the 2006 Solstice? Thanks in advance.

N.B. I'm not asking for opinions on whether this will be a good/bad idea. Please keep the discussion to technical topics on how to do it; thanks again!

Cheers!
ciurana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JewJenk
Not every one understands what letters may always mean. And thus may be able to answer the question if they knew what you meant. It's probably very simple and once it is know, I may say,,,,,,,,sheeeeese how stupid of me, that's what he meant..............

In other words, please spell it out, thanks....................
Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
The Event Data Recorder function is part of the Air Bag System Control Module functions.

I do not remember ever seeing any discussion, here or elsewhere, with successful instructions on disabling that function within the overall system.
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello I cant think of any way of disableing EDR as the two work hand in hand, should the bags go off the ECM has a record of the telementry of why they went off.
normsf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not possible.... It's all or nothing.

I have removed both airbags, as well as the EDR box, but there is no way to de-select any of the functions individually.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JewJenk
The insurance companies, auto manufactures, law enforcement have just about made this impossible to disconnect, after all they want to know why you have crashed, and what you were doing before the crash......

This is a hacker question, suggest you contact 2600. Check the local book store, this will give you a start. That is if the one's in your area have not banned it from their shelves.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello, reminds me of what I have heard " the only way to erase a harddrive is with a Hammer"
normsf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Greetings again.

Thanks for your replies. I'll do some research on the computer itself. I'm thinking that as long as the air bag microcontroller thinks there is an EDR, they should work. Or maybe removing the air bags altogether might be an alternative. I'll have to check what local laws have to say.

As for 2600... that's not a bad idea, in principle. If you have any information about the which microcontroller/microprocessor the EDR uses that could be the first step toward hacking it. I'll start looking for that elsewhere.

(Did I read somewhere that automotive industry is much into the Z-80 microcontrollers?)

Cheers!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here is an interesting overview of the EDR and EDRU setup, with some history and applications. It also lists the events being recorded. Searching now for Vetronix information. Cheers!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Makes me wonder why someone would want to do this.

Years ago I worked for a company that made a machine that assembled a component of an airbag control system. It put me in contact with a group of GM's development engineers. One of the topics that came up was the reliability of the system, and how anyone would know if it failed to work correctly. This was in 1984, and the whole concept was still pretty new. One of the stories:

A GM car was in a crash, and the airbag didn't deploy. The unbelted driver was serverely injured, and sued GM for damages. The controller was analyzed, and it reported that the ignition had been cycled 7 million times with the airbag fault indicator illuminated. Additional investigation revealed that the fault indicator had been on for "a while" and ignored by the driver. After the crash an associate of the driver had rigged an automatic device to repeatedly cycle power to the controller in an attempt to overload its ability to show what had happened.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

I get so tired of seeing the Mercedes commercial where they claim to have the first passenger car airbags. GM had them first in 1974 and doesn't get the credit it deserves. If GM had the foresight to make airbags optional (or standard) on many of their car lines back in the '70's, they would have a safety reputation at least as good as Mercedes. Too bad they missed the opportunity to capitalize on this important safety feature.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.