Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How to remove the front grilles

64K views 143 replies 48 participants last post by  solstice1319 
#1 ·
Does anybody knows how to remove the twin front grilles from the body?
I just wanted to paint mine like the Kappasphere car.

Thanks.:)

#2 ·
Two metal clips must be released from inside the bumper cover. Access is gained by dropping the intake ducts from the front underneath.

#7 ·
I saw on Marbylm's before and after a painted rear grill...but what worrys me is exhaust staining....is there a coating to prevent this or make it much more cleaning friendly....I really want to do this!!! also what kind of paint should I use....Spray or brush...brush sucks if you ask me! also still would love to take the part off any input?

#8 ·
I was probably one of the first to paint the rear grill, although it was done Professionaly by the dealer's paint and Body Shop, they use the same paint that comes with the car, for both the red and silver areas.
The only thing I did to mine afterwards, was to paint the holes black, and then aplied a clear coat.

Attachments

#10 ·
LatinVenom said:
I was probably one of the first to paint the rear grill, although it was done Professionaly by the dealer's paint and Body Shop, they use the same paint that comes with the car, for both the red and silver areas.
The only thing I did to mine afterwards, was to paint the holes black, and then aplied a clear coat.
THAT! I want THAT done!! Holycow that looks incredible. If I can get the blah black plastick done in "mysterious" and make it look as good as that..holy cow it would match the new chrome liscense plate holder I put on (the back looked boring, I had to do something to match the front).

I've been talking with a coworker who has a '98 Dakota that is tricked out. He says he's seen a web-site online with a chrome grille (not black plastic) online but has to find the site. I want that done next. Pure chrome, no painted plastic, same with the rear.

#11 ·
Owe

LatinVenom said:
LV, that looks so good. Every time I see it I want to take mine right down to the paint guy and get it done. I would but my car is 3,000 miles away.
As soon as it gets home it is going in. It looks so good it makes my thing hurt.:(

#12 ·
The grills won't pull off until two metal clips, one on each side of each grill, are released. Don't have to pull the bumper cover. Just drop the air intake duct work from under the front of the bumper. I think you need to release two screws. Anyway, you then can reach inside the cover to release the clips. I have painted mine chrome. Like it. Then just push the grills back on without the clips.

#14 ·
Josh said:
THAT! I want THAT done!! Holycow that looks incredible. If I can get the blah black plastick done in "mysterious" and make it look as good as that..holy cow it would match the new chrome liscense plate holder I put on (the back looked boring, I had to do something to match the front).

I've been talking with a coworker who has a '98 Dakota that is tricked out. He says he's seen a web-site online with a chrome grille (not black plastic) online but has to find the site. I want that done next. Pure chrome, no painted plastic, same with the rear.
You mean like this?

http://solstice.inner-ninja.com/Galleries/2006.02.25 - Solful Seven/pages/image023.html

That's Spirob's car from the Wide Track Warriors car show we did this weekend as a group.

#15 ·
So Karr,

Did you manage to get the grills out? I am painting mine black. I tried desperately to get a spare pair and no such luck.

What kind of paint do you plan to use?

Thanx
karr1008 said:
ThanXs Tuxford.

#17 ·
Had mine removed today to get chromed. Mechanic removed the grills from the FRONT?. Had a special tool and removed them in 5 minutes! Will post pics of them when they are done along with all my other subtle mods.

#125 ·
Tool to reinstall the front clips?

Mechanic removed the grills from the FRONT?. Had a special tool and removed them in 5 minutes!
Is there a special tool to reinstall the clips? Does anybody know the part number or where to buy? I called the local dealer and SPX-Kent Moore, and both said you have to drop the front fascia/bumper. Reaching your arm up and around just doesn't work with a pair of needle nose pliers. (I don't want my grills disappearing after they are chromed.)

#18 ·
SPIROB said:
Had mine removed today to get chromed. Mechanic removed the grills from the FRONT?. Had a special tool and removed them in 5 minutes! Will post pics of them when they are done along with all my other subtle mods.
Decide to go with the chrome color you had mentioned at the show?

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah, They are going to use the same process as the vendor being discussed on the forum right now. Took the car in @ 8 a.m. 5 minutes to remove grill and will be reinstalled on Friday in the a.m.. Out the door $150. I looked at the black chrome examples they had but they had different hues in them(blue, red) so I picked the application that will look most like the trim around the Pontiac symbols. I've got a problem that everything has to match! :crazy:

#20 ·
Not yet. I just finished painting my calipers red. man, they look sharp on a Sly. I tried removing the front grille but had no luck yet. I must be too tired to do them but I will have them done by the weekend, I hope.

I am planning to use black bumper auto finish matte paint. It will match the finish of the rear part. I bought it in Autozone and is supposed to be very strong and durable against bugs and tar debris. I was hoping to go for the ones like Mallett, jet black with a high gloss finish but that would be a pain in the rear to keep so, matte finish there is.

One more thing, I am replacing my springs with Eibachs as well...they are red and will complement the caliper looks..can't wait to see the cosmetic parts all put together.

As soon as I finish them, I will post some pics.

Karr

#21 ·
Cool, I am doing the grilles this weekend as well. I was planning in using high gloss, black paint to match the rest of the car (mysterious). However, since you mentioned matte, that would match the rear fascia and my splash guards.... hmm.... start with matte and if I do not like it gloss it up? Sounds like a plan.

Are you planning to sandblast the grilles and use a primer? What exactly are your prep steps? I am thinking of blasting them (I have a blast cabinet) and figuring out a proper primer to coat them before putting the finish coat. I want to avoid future flakiness. Are you planning on finish them with a clear coat?

This will be an interesting project for this weekend.

:cool:
karr1008 said:
Not yet. I just finished painting my calipers red. man, they look sharp on a Sly. I tried removing the front grille but had no luck yet. I must be too tired to do them but I will have them done by the weekend, I hope.

I am planning to use black bumper auto finish matte paint. It will match the finish of the rear part. I bought it in Autozone and is supposed to be very strong and durable against bugs and tar debris. I was hoping to go for the ones like Mallett, jet black with a high gloss finish but that would be a pain in the rear to keep so, matte finish there is.

One more thing, I am replacing my springs with Eibachs as well...they are red and will complement the caliper looks..can't wait to see the cosmetic parts all put together.

As soon as I finish them, I will post some pics.

Karr

#23 ·
My hands hurt and I only got out the 2 clips from the middle of the grilles. It doesn't make sense? The sides removed should be lose but nothing, it is as tight as it can be. Also, access underneath the front cover is a big pain...
this seems to be more complicated than performing open heart surgery blindfolded. My computer hand will be soared tomorrow for sure.:(

I need help from those who removed it themselves cause I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks.

#24 ·
karr1008 said:
Yes, I plan on sandblasting properly and then add primer, then the matte paint.
I might not use the clear coat though not to make them glossy but I will see about it until I have them painted matte first.
What about a matte finish clear coat? I've used this on some outdoor fixtures and it looks great. Plus, it will give you a little extra protection from bug damage.

#25 ·
I still wish to know from those who did it how in the heck do you remove those pesky grills. I cannot figure it out. I did remove some black metal clips from each side...2 from each side but still is not lose. DO I have to do some trick maneuver to release them or what?? Also, I was told that you didn't have to remove the bumper cover to do so but I think there is something else holding these suckers. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#26 ·
I am attacking this thing tomorrow morning. My research shows that you have to remove 4 push pins that hold the air dam, get it out of the way, get to the clips ( I think is 2 per grill - 1 on each side ). My understanding is that they may hold the grill with screws? Unknown at this point.

On the top and bottom of each grill there are protrusions that hold it tight against the bumper cover. So, I think you got to start on the top of the grill and coax it downward a bit to free it from the bumper cover before it can finally come out....

I think by the end of the weekend we'll know how to do this.....

karr1008 said:
I still wish to know from those who did it how in the heck do you remove those pesky grills. I cannot figure it out. I did remove some black metal clips from each side...2 from each side but still is not lose. DO I have to do some trick maneuver to release them or what?? Also, I was told that you didn't have to remove the bumper cover to do so but I think there is something else holding these suckers. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.