Mounting Gauges - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Interior/Exterior Functional/Appearance
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mounting Gauges

Besides the A-pillar and DDM radio panel, what other options are you guys using to mount gauges? Are there any other pod mounts made specifically for our cars? Has anyone ever actually drilled holes in the dash to fit a 2 1/16" gauge or two?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

The DDM A-pillar mount and Radio slot mount are it from a non-destructive viewpoint.

Some folks have glassed pods on top of the steering column trim. Others have inserted them in the existing gauge cluster and covered up the idiot lights. Another option is to replace one (or more) of the air vents with a gauge.

There's no room anywhere in the dash to drill a 2" hole. It might look like there is, but there's always something behind in the way. (AFAICT)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Besides the A-pillar and DDM radio panel, what other options are you guys using to mount gauges? Are there any other pod mounts made specifically for our cars? Has anyone ever actually drilled holes in the dash to fit a 2 1/16" gauge or two?
Thanks.
On the solstice, the most common method has been the a-pillar, followed by deletion of an air-vent, and the DDM radio panel, and similar a distant 3rd. Seems most people want the double din.

If you're good with fiberglass, you can pretty much make whatever you want though.

I have a Sky, and for me, I wanted gauges above the center stack, and with our air vents the way they are, it was perfect for it.

I run a blue/red Prosport EVO digital sweeping with center digital boost gauge on the left, and oil pressure gauge on the right. I tend to run it as red most of the time unless the top is down in the day time. In that case, it's hard to see in red, and much easier to read in blue.

I have a concealed Beltronics STi Magnum mounted high in the middle. You can easily fit 3 x 2 1/16" gauges in the pod I mounted. I only needed 2. Plus since the detector is permanently mounted, and heat is a known issue with detectors, I mounted a cooling fan in there, so I didn't want a gauge down the middle.

Then made the pod out of 3 layers of fiberglass. The shelf for the detector also spans in the inside bracing it for even more strength. It's far stronger than the original black plastic piece it's bonded to.

I used body filler to smooth it out. Then painted it black before upholstering it in vinyl leather (figured real leather wouldn't hold up very well in constant sun exposure on the dash compared to the fake stuff with UV protectant on it).

I covered the front face with 3M carbon fiber.

Here's a night shot . . . only caveat is that I usually run the lights in red and not blue.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

that is bright as hell.
BlueMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMotorsport View Post
that is bright as hell.
Ha, yah, totally overexposed. Picture was taken in a dark garage with no other lighting. In person it's not nearly as bright looking, plus you can adjust everything. I have the gauges on max brightness, and run the gauges red at night.

Here's a shot in the same garage with the headlights on, same brightness, gauges on red.

And I almost always have my screen on map, and at night, the map background is black, while right now, it has the bright blue warning screen that the PAC TR-7 allows over ride of video features and what not while the car is moving.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice work and thanks. I have a 3 guage pod from my other car that I might try and cut up and fab up something. The Solstice dash is a bit more rounded and I'm just not sure where I would want to mount anything to mess up the smooth line. Either that or go with the DDM radio panel. With the DDM panel I guess I would have to buy a different radio, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.