Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Punisher

879K views 4K replies 187 participants last post by  G-Ram 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#1,440 ·
Well I finally got enough of the wife's tasking done so I can get back to the car. Tonight I pulled the rear bumper cover off so I can take it to Jeff's for paint on Friday. Then the right hand door ..... Don't ask why... Followed by the hood. And the AC condenser going back to Dave for reman.

#1,441 ·
Here are a few pictures. The damage that is causing the need for repair is cracking in the color layer due to some kind of impact that while it did not damage the clear, it did crack the underlying color layer.

When I remove the fasthers, I put them by location or sub assembly into labled Dixi cups. Makes it much easier to put it all back together.:thumbs:

Attachments

#1,442 ·
I emailed Tom at CED and asked him to order some fasteners for me. The 7mm bolts that attach the cover to the structure seem to go missing over time and the plastic push pins that have been cycled three or four times are shot. Sadly, they are

Item 2 bolts

1605396 retainer $ 2.60 each

Item 10 plastic push pins

11569760 bolt $ 3.33 each

But if anyone needs the info, here it is. :thumbs:

#1,443 ·
#1,445 ·
I have found them at various different sources for ~$180 - $200 a set for solid color. Have not seen the price for color changing set yet.

#1,447 ·
The rear bumper cover at Jeff's getting repaired, and Jeff in a party mood at the Club Christmas party last Saturday

Attachments

#1,450 ·
Bumper turned out very nice looking. I am working on the wiring, then will reinstall the bumper cover.

Attachments

#1,453 ·
The AC condenser and the hose are on their way to Dave. Pictures to follow.

Pulled the front bumper cover, the bottom plastic and the sit intake so I could get access to the condenser. It dropped out through the bottom with no problems. To get the hose out, I had to pull the top radiator mounts and move it forward slightly. The most difficult challenge was figuring out how to get it out.

#1,455 ·
The AC leaked. It got progressively worse till it would not fill. My tech looked at it and identified the location of the leak and Dave said ship it to him and they would fix it. It just took me a while to find the time.

#1,456 ·
Here are some pictures I took of the process

Attachments

#1,457 ·
What has Punisher been more? Apart or together? :)

#1,458 ·
Together, though I have learned to disassemble much of it easily. When you get as much done as this, it comes with the territory.

#1,464 ·
That is the structure that absorbs the energy of an impact. It rides behind the bumper cover and is attached through various structural members to the frame. Its basically a replaceable sacrificial component that gets crushed in an impact and if the energy is low enough to be absorbed by this crushing, you get a new one and replace it.

#1,465 ·
The AC condenser and hose made it to Dave today. Hoping to learn something next week or so ...

Jeff called. Since I had the front bumper off, I took it over to him to get the teo right side mounting tabs repaired. They are ready to fall off because of how many times the cover has been off and on... He called to tell me that he found curb rash on the right side of the bumper just below the grille. $320 to repair, strip and reclear... Which is my price. Sigh...

#1,466 ·
Pics of the curb rash.

Price of having a custom painted car and being driven to keep it "perfect" as possible. Sigh

:willy::willy::willy::willy:

Attachments