Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Punisher

879K views 4K replies 187 participants last post by  G-Ram 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#2,879 ·
Making progress on updating the illuminated Norms custom fenders. I am fabricating aluminum mounting plates. They will provide a nice background for the illuminated panels that Stephan made for me. And they will allow me to open up the side vents for air flow from the engine compartment. Going to powder coat them and then install them

Attachments

#2,880 ·
Got the second fender insert fabricated and both through the powder coating process today

Attachments

#2,882 ·
Updated the wiring to each of the light panels. Added connectors and waterproofing. Next I need to mount the light panels and insert the assemblies into the fenders

Attachments

#2,883 ·
Didn't make any progress on the car.

Did this instead.

2 hours blowing in the morning and another 1.5 hours in the afternoon.

Attachments

#2,884 ·
When I was not shoveling snow, I was finishing up the project that she who cannot be ignored put at the top of my list.

This entailed cutting, gluing:smash::banghead:, nailing and final clear coating the steps then installing the tread carpets.

Sigh..

Attachments

#2,886 ·
Did you actually open the picture and see it's taken from the top looking down? You have been in that room my friend

#2,890 ·
Just for you

Where are the pics of your stairs?>:)

Attachments

#2,891 · (Edited)
While working on the stairs most of the week, I did manage to get in one small upgrade to the PunisheR garage. Now I just need to find time to get back to the PunisheR fender inserts. And the side skirt inserts. And the replacement air bag cover. And the laser lights in the dash. And the two additional gauges. And . . .. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The new retracting side steps for the Punisher Hauler.

And the winch and storage modifications to the Punisher trailer . ..

Attachments

#2,893 ·
Cool I look forward to it. :)

I'm going to go 3d with the PunisheR head on the face of the compactor next. I am thinking about carbon fiber.:leaving::cheers::cheers::dthumbs:

#2,896 ·
For completeness posting this here as well as in the 3d printer thread.

Received very good object files from ChickenWire for the fender bumpers. Printed a test part last night and it came out very well. Need to rotate to print with side down to get better infill. Will print in nylon and test fit. The factory part, which is no longer available, is very hard rubber. It deforms only very slightly to slide into the fender slot on top of the fender so Nylon should be a good place to start with for a replacement part.

I lost one of my four bumpers on PunisheR and found that they are no longer available from all the normal sources. I suppose they could be found in a recycler but since CW is skilled and I have the printer - I decided to explore printing my own parts in RED nylon.

If it works will be happy to print for others if they need it or share the file.

Attachments

#2,897 ·
Ordered carbon fiber / Kevlar inner fenders from ShurrThings. He is trying to talk me into some kind of behive pattern or colored CF top side. Not sure though . . . .:woo:

#2,898 ·
New truck grille showed up. The other one was plastic and after considerable consideration I decided that I did not want to go with plastic. It also did not accommodate the active shutters which improve mileage and temperature control. Went with metal grille.

Attachments

#2,902 ·
Spent Sunday afternoon installing the new grille in the PunisheR Hauler. Was with some trepidation that I took the moto tool to it but it all turned out well.>:)

Attachments

#2,903 ·
Pics of the install

Attachments

#2,904 ·
Printed the rubber fender bumpers in red TPU. With a little fine tuning they work fine. And they are RED!

Attachments

#2,907 ·
Got the fenders vented!

Just for completeness, starting with Norm's standard vented fender I asked him to modify them to make them unique for PunisheR. The basic concept was to have the vent hole mimic the factory fender showcasing the Pontiac arrow head. He built them for me and I got them painted and installed.

As soon as they were installed it became obvious to me that they needed to light up with the punisher logo and flames. Cant have too many flames! Or Punisher logos!

So I worked with Stephen at Windrestrictor. He built me Lexan inserts for the fenders that had the Punisher logo showing through the Pontiac arrowhead opening and flames through the rest of the vent hole.

The Lexan plate was lit up with LED lights and bolted to the back side of the fender. This of course blocked the vent hole but at the time I was not looking for more venting.

Go forward a couple of years and it is clear that venting is a nice thing. Also, while the Lexan plates and graphics look great, but the are see through. So during the day all the mechanicals behind the fender vent holes. Not pretty in the daylight.

So I had two issues I needed to deal with. First was to allow the fenders to vent I needed to open up the vent holes, and second was to prettify the view through the vent holes.

So I designed and fabricated a pair of mounting plates that fit inside the fender and to which the Lexan plates are mounted. This allows them to be mounted at an angle with the forward portion creating a vent opening from the engine bay through the fender. It also creates a nice black ground for the Lexan plates so they show much better both in full daylight and when illuminated in low light conditions.

I powder coated the two mounting plates gloss black and mounted the Lexan to them, then mounted the plates inside the fenders. Mission accomplished. It only took me three weeks LOL >:) :cheers:

Attachments

#2,908 ·
Over in another thread I saw a discussion about adding a trim ring for the door speakers. This triggered me to consider printing my own and painting them PunisheR red. I found what are perfect design covers on Thingverse and printed a couple of test units. They turned out very well. I am going to paint them and install them.