Breathers, PCV System? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Breathers, PCV System?

So I snapped off the little nipple on my intake tube that looks like is the inlet for the PCV system. Can I just plug the intake tube and run breathers on the inlet and outlet for the PCV system? Does our ventilation system have a built in, or in-line, PCV valve? And where is the outlet vent for our PCV system? Just got this car and have not learned any of the ins and outs of the motor yet, Is this going to throw any emmisions codes? I've run breathers on many cars without any issues.

OR

Should I just get another OEM intake tube/air box piece?

OR

Should I just go ahead and get an aftermarket intake tube and which ones would you recommend? I'm completely stock, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Is this going to throw any emmisions codes? I've run breathers on many cars without any issues.
It shouldn't throw any codes.

Quote:
Should I just get another OEM intake tube/air box piece?
The replacement piece is about $90 through a dealer.

Quote:
Should I just go ahead and get an aftermarket intake tube and which ones would you recommend? I'm completely stock, I think.
Dejon makes a decent one, as does Werks, as does DDM, and there's always GMPP. Replacing that plastic nipple with a metal nipple is expensive, and that's about all you are doing with any of these pieces.

Of course, the plastic OEM part will likely break again.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do they keep the stock size MAF housing? I don't need a tune to run any of these?

And what about this Weapon-R intake?

Last edited by 07 Boss; 11-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
07 Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Do they keep the stock size MAF housing? I don't need a tune to run any of these?

And what about this Weapon-R intake?
I don't know anything about a Weapon-R?

You don't need a tune to run any of the one's I mentioned. All they are is noise makers.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
I don't know anything about a Weapon-R?

You don't need a tune to run any of the one's I mentioned. All they are is noise makers.
Really? I can't believe that there are no gains to be had by freeing up the flow a little bit. Is the OEM intake that good or do the aftermarket ones just suck?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

VERY common problem, you can just glue it back on, or follow some (maybe) more permanent fixes. Not worth replacing the intake unless you really want to do so for cosmetic reasons.

Here's some different fix-it methods:
Need help identifying broken part.
Question - Broken Fitting - @ past MAF
Justa' FYI
Quote:
Really? I can't believe that there are no gains to be had by freeing up the flow a little bit. Is the OEM intake that good or do the aftermarket ones just suck?
The OEM one is just that good. In fact many aftermarket ones actually screw with the ECM (due to poor airflow past the MAF).

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 11-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe I will just plug the hole and run a catch can to breather set up. Can our PVC valve be removed? I know on my Mustang I had to actually cut it out of the valve cover.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had the plastic nipple capped, and a breather over the PCV for years now without issue.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

This valve isn't the PCV valve. See: Why & where you should/shouldn't run an Oil Catch Can (OCC) on an LNF kappa
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I'm thinking more along the lines of venting the crankcase to the atmosphere so the catch can would just be protection against any oil drippage from the breather filters.

This is my set up on my other car.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 11-17-2012 at 05:36 PM.
07 Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Check valve? In any case, mine's been detached from the intake, and a breather filter plugged into the end instead.

I didn't use one like 07Boss pictured because I used one like this:

Because it fit into the check valve perfectly. I sprayed mine matte black so you can hardly tell it's not supposed to be there.

Oh, and I get almost nothing coming out of there.

I have disconnected the other line at the turbo for ****s and giggles, and found some oil, but not a ridiculous amount. Seems I get more oil from the line to the turbo than I do the line to the intake, and in any case, never enough to make a noticeable difference in oil levels after a 10,000 km oil change.

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 11-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
Check valve? In any case, mine's been detached from the intake, and a breather filter plugged in

Oh, and I get almost nothing coming out of there.

I have disconnected the other line at the turbo for ****s and giggles, and found some oil, but not a ridiculous amount. Seems I get more oil from the line to the turbo than I do the line to the intake, and in any case, never enough to make a noticeable difference in oil levels after a 10,000 km oil change.
This is as would be expected. Read that post link again, the broken valve end is an INPUT to the engine - the air intake has an angle to help force air into it. The pipe down to the turbo is the outlet and even though the valve cover has baffles, you could get some oil coming out of it.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
This is as would be expected. Read that post link again, the broken valve end is an INPUT to the engine - the air intake has an angle to help force air into it. The pipe down to the turbo is the outlet and even though the valve cover has baffles, you could get some oil coming out of it.
Input? Isn't there a PCV on that line on the other end? And if so, wouldn't it also be an output for pressure?

I check that lower line once or twice a year, whenever I do an oil change, and I've never found more than a few mm (maybe a teaspoon or so).

And out of the top line, nothing ever but a slightly brown film which I'm assuming is finely atomized oil that's been deposited by vapor/air.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure why you have trouble believing this. If an engine can suck, say 400 cfm at red line, and the stock intake flows 500 cfm, what possible benefit do you think will come from installing a different intake that has a flow limit of 700 cfm, or for that matter 2000 cfm?

Whataver the engine can suck is the top limit. All an intake has to do is be able to supply that without any restriction. The GXP intake does that.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
Input? Isn't there a PCV on that line on the other end? And if so, wouldn't it also be an output for pressure?

I check that lower line once or twice a year, whenever I do an oil change, and I've never found more than a few mm (maybe a teaspoon or so).

And out of the top line, nothing ever but a slightly brown film which I'm assuming is finely atomized oil that's been deposited by vapor/air.
Again, read the post that I linked to.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.