Can I turn off the turbo? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Can I turn off the turbo?

Ok I know I will probably get allot of flame for this one. I love the turbo and I enjoy every minute of it, probably a little too much. I know I don't need to be running boost all around town and obviously the base model owners show life isn't that bad without it. I have driven my friendís base solstice and while there is a significant difference it's tolerable for me and I don't expect the GXP without the turbo to be much different. So let me get to my point.

I am wondering is there a boost controller that I can purchase or an electronic wire that I can tap into that will let me on command disable the turbo and then enable the turbo back to factory (or computer controlled) specifications? My thoughts here are if I take out the variable of my foot making the turbo build pressure and the computer detecting this and adding more fuel that I should be able to increase my regular gas mileage. And then when I am at the track and actually want the performance I can turn the turbo back on.

The other reason I am asking rather than just buying a boost controller and trying it is this. Does anybody know if there are side effects to not running the turbo for say a week or two at a time, while driving the car? And the other thing is does anybody know if the computer truly is smart enough to not add the same amount of fuel at full throttle w/o the turbo as it does with the turbo?

Right now I am getting 260 miles to an 11.5 gallon fill on average, making about 22.5 mpg. I am thinking if I eliminate the turbo from my regular daily driving I should be able to see closer to 30 mpg. Most of my driving is local city driving so I know it will suck either way. But the few times I have taken the Solstice on highway driving I have been getting 40 mpg on average so I know it has it in there. And I used my friends 2.4 Solstice for two weeks just to try it out and I was getting 28 mpg on average so I am sure the smaller displacement should help me with better economy.

While I am sure there are some flaws with my theory I have no doubt in my mind that the 2.0 VVT will make plenty of power for me to use as a daily driver since the 1.8 VVT makes almost 140 hp and the 2.4 makes over 170 in the middle there will be plenty for me.

My preference would be if there was a way to just attach this to a two way switch but if I require purchasing a controller I am willing to do it. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
2005 BMW K 1200 S
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP + GMPP "Turbo Upgrade"
Best Drag Performance (prior to GMPP "Turbo Upgrade") [1/4: 12.97 @ 104 MPH | 0-60: 4.24s]
Best Power Output (100% Stock no tunes or modifications) [WHP: 249 | WTQ: 245]
mbfesta2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

yeah having a hard time trying to understand why you would want to do this. The engine is made to run on boost. I had the pleasure of driving it for 5 miles to get home with a intercooler pipe had popped off. It is extremely slow.

If it's a matter of fuel economy then don't press the gas as hard. If it's a question of staying out of trouble again don't press the gas as hard.

I did run my old turbo civic on the street at 220 or so HP most of the time. But it still had some power. When I really wanted to have fun I cranked it up to 350 HP.

But your talking trying to get around in a 3000lb car with 120hp at most.
turboman808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by encriptor View Post
I am wondering is there a boost controller that I can purchase or an electronic wire that I can tap into that will let me on command disable the turbo and then enable the turbo back to factory (or computer controlled) specifications?
You can adjust the wastegate to open at a lower boost setting...while this won't completely eliminate boost...you won't get nearly as much as before. That written, your fuel consumption probably wouldn't be that much better to warrant the headache of messing with your powertrain, and maybe any warranty concerns that may arise from such a modification.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

You already have the most efficient means of controlling MPG with direct injection, VVT and a Turbo. By having exacting control of the volume of air entering the engine, exacting control of fuel delivery and exacting control of volumetric efficiency the ECU does about as good of a job as possible for a gas engine. The turbo is the key to making the engine more efficient more so that just making more power.
If you could do anything you may want to get an external boost gauge and use that to reference engine load. Control your foot based on load and you'll see a marked increase in MPG.
scdyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

From what I've been told, the turbo actually helps out your car achieve higher gas millage because it helps the engine breathe better. Example 1) The GXP has a higher MPG than the 2.4 solstice Example 2) on my 2.4 Sky I would average 19 MPG after I installed my Hahn Turbo kit I went up to 28 MPG!!
HotRedRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe things work different in the Solstice world than they worked in my Cavalier. I had a Supercharged 2.2L ECOTEC that when I left the supercharger compressing I was getting 25 mpg and when I set the controller to 0 I was seeing 32 mpg. Both motors have the same basic design and I am trying to use the same basic theory. I was just wondering if anyone here had recommendations for a device to use. If I don't get any good advice from anyone for a device to pick I will probably just research what products are available for turbo boost controllers and go about it myself and will let anyone know what my results are if they are interested.
2005 BMW K 1200 S
Best Drag Performance (prior to GMPP "Turbo Upgrade") [1/4: 12.97 @ 104 MPH | 0-60: 4.24s]
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I blew off a loose intercooler coupler once, so basically, I was getting no boost what-so-ever. Kind of the same thing you are talking about by turning off the turbo.

It Sucked!!!!!

I could floor it from a complete stop and it would barely accelerate.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Dejon IAT2 will lock down the turbo, I did it while adjusting it. I don't think you will like it, car has no power. It was dangerous. Car is meant for turbo. But you can do it pretty easily, the IAT2 fools the ECM into seeing more boost than there is and turns the turbo off.
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-N Def View Post
I blew off a loose intercooler coupler once, so basically, I was getting no boost what-so-ever. Kind of the same thing you are talking about by turning off the turbo.

It Sucked!!!!!

I could floor it from a complete stop and it would barely accelerate.

Did this when I replaced the intercooler and you will so not like the results!

Having owned both the base and the turbo I can tell you that you can drive either and get excellent or crappy city mileage depending on modifing how you drive. I have also found that doing the waste gate rod mod has allowed me to shift earlier into the next gear without lugging the engine which has resulted in better city mileage.

I would say if you want better city mileage adjust your driving habits not the turbo
#118042 11/18/06 GXP Mean Darkside loaded wo On-Star
MODS: ED IC Pipes, Dejon IC, Magnaflow Catback

#1922 12/03/05
Mysterious Steel/Sand w/ 6-Disc Monsoon
Conv., Pwr & Premium Pkgs A/C LSD Carpet Mats
MODS: GM CAI & CATBAck
Dover DE

Friend me on FB
JustMike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

NASSOA
Founding Member - Northeast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JustMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Maybe things work different in the Solstice world than they worked in my Cavalier. I had a Supercharged 2.2L ECOTEC that when I left the supercharger compressing I was getting 25 mpg and when I set the controller to 0 I was seeing 32 mpg. Both motors have the same basic design and I am trying to use the same basic theory. I was just wondering if anyone here had recommendations for a device to use. If I don't get any good advice from anyone for a device to pick I will probably just research what products are available for turbo boost controllers and go about it myself and will let anyone know what my results are if they are interested.

I am wondering whether your Cavalier was an automatic or manual transmission.

I used to own a N/A Solstice and now have a GXP. I also used to own a Grand Prix with a 3.8L V6 and now have a Grand Prix GT with a SuperCharged version of the same 3.8L V6.

I find that I can still get mileage as good with the turbocharged Solstice GXP as I had with the N/A. But the supercharged Grand Prix has shown a drop in mileage over its predecessor. I think the difference is that the Solstice is a manual where as my Grand Prix is an automatic. With the automatic on the Grand Prix, the car is more likely to draw boosted pressure for more power rather than downshifting. Where in the GXP I can better control when and how much boost I use by choosing when to shift/downshift.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MDdscheneck@msn.com
dengel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

You cannot compare a turbo car with an intercooler boot off to a car that isnt making boost. For starters your MAF sensor in the "boot off" car is seeing air flow that isnt relative to what the engine is doing.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

Here I go again, So to everyone that already knows how I drive my 2.4.

Don't disable your Turbo, You will get 32+ miles per gallon if you just shift at 2,000 rpm's, and go the speed limit.

The 2.0 Turbo actually gets better miles per gallon than the 2.4 na.

I can get 35 miles per gallon all day long on the Maine Turnpike 50MPH 5th gear, Now I know nobody but me drives that way, but another GXP owner did the gentle shifting, and went right around 50 mph and got 2 MPG's better than me

I am no longer the Gas Mileage King of the forum.

I even drive with my shoes off so that I can gently feel the pedal, for better mileage.

The turbo is your friend, don't disable it.

Mitch
MITCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
I am wondering whether your Cavalier was an automatic or manual transmission.

I used to own a N/A Solstice and now have a GXP. I also used to own a Grand Prix with a 3.8L V6 and now have a Grand Prix GT with a SuperCharged version of the same 3.8L V6.

I find that I can still get mileage as good with the turbocharged Solstice GXP as I had with the N/A. But the supercharged Grand Prix has shown a drop in mileage over its predecessor. I think the difference is that the Solstice is a manual where as my Grand Prix is an automatic. With the automatic on the Grand Prix, the car is more likely to draw boosted pressure for more power rather than downshifting. Where in the GXP I can better control when and how much boost I use by choosing when to shift/downshift.
Both cars are manual transmission. The Cavalier 2.2L used an Eaton M62 making 12 psi and putting out 224 whp and the Solstice is obviously as everyone knows the 2.0L VVT K04 mine making apparently 14 psi on average putting out from the same dyno shop 229 hp (and a few runs showing 240 but I doubt them). Both motors are ECOTEC motors. Difference is how boost is created.
2005 BMW K 1200 S
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Both cars are manual transmission. The Cavalier 2.2L used an Eaton M62 making 12 psi and putting out 224 whp and the Solstice is obviously as everyone knows the 2.0L VVT K04 mine making apparently 14 psi on average putting out from the same dyno shop 229 hp (and a few runs showing 240 but I doubt them). Both motors are ECOTEC motors. Difference is how boost is created.

SuperChargers and Turbochargers work in different ways, a S/C will cost you gas milage and a turbo will gain milage. It's like comparing apples to monkeys. It just ain't the same thing.

Throtle control - that is how you increase your milage. Some say you need to:

accelarate slowly with minimal throtle input to get the best gas milage
others say you need to accelarate quickly to your crusing speed.

I say just enjoy the power and don't worry about the milage. The difference in getting 28 mpg and 32 miles per gallon on 11 gallons is roughly one galon of gas or 3 bucks and change.
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lots of smiles for 3 bucks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.