GXP tune question - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

GXP tune question

I have a 2008 GXP with 5 speed. Car is currently completely stock. I am looking at getting tune from Performance Autowerks later this month in Arkansas. I would appreciate input from anyone who has this tune.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM

I have his tune.

but it's a custom tune, as I have other mods.

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM

I have the trifecta canned tune and have been pleased with the results on a stock GXP.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I was going to go with Trifecta Budget tune, but it appears I won't be able to get that done at the national convention. Performance Werks will be doing tunes, and my main concern is reliability.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM

As far as "tunes" go, there is nothing unreliable about them. The unreliability comes from your motor and turbo. Most canned tunes tune your motor/turbo to within an certain standard. Meaning that it is done for longevity and daily driving. Dyno tunes are a different story. You can tell the tuner what you want and what you use your car for. Like me, mine was a daily when I had it dyno'd. He asked if I was happy with 285bhp or if I wanted a touch more. I told him that was fine as I wanted reliability.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Same with mine.

Pwerks tuned mine to 285hp 355tq

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Founding Member

Any time you can get a tune done live, is better than a canned tune.
That said the tuner should be one with a good track record of happy customers.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Dave at P werks just completed my tune, ( while I waited) this past Weds. Very pleased with the results. As far as reliability goes, Dave says religious maintenance is the key, oil changes ect. Personally I think any car if well taken care of and not abused such as racing, constant rabbit starts will last for years with only the occasional right foot abuse.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
As far as "tunes" go, there is nothing unreliable about them. The unreliability comes from your motor and turbo. Most canned tunes tune your motor/turbo to within an certain standard. Meaning that it is done for longevity and daily driving. Dyno tunes are a different story. You can tell the tuner what you want and what you use your car for. Like me, mine was a daily when I had it dyno'd. He asked if I was happy with 285bhp or if I wanted a touch more. I told him that was fine as I wanted reliability.
i'm gonna disagree, a bad tune will make your car drive inconsistent and unreliable (bad cold start, bad operating temp drivability, ect. ect...) i had a nightmare from trifecta which resulted a waste of 6 months, and bunch of cash...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobalt09 View Post
i'm gonna disagree, a bad tune will make your car drive inconsistent and unreliable (bad cold start, bad operating temp drivability, ect. ect...) i had a nightmare from trifecta which resulted a waste of 6 months, and bunch of cash...
Slobalt, was that trifecta tune for an N/A with an aftermarket turbo or supercharger kit?

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit Meth 16.5 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM

nope it was a 2.0 ldk gt2871 and bunch of bolt ons...nothing uncommon though...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:34 AM

[quoteI was going to go with Trifecta Budget tune][/quote]
I have the Trifecta budget tune and love it. Great bang for the buck. I did however get it turned on/off with the cruise control but unfortunately it works the opposite of what I anticipated. In retrospect I would get it on all the time.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I was going to go with Trifecta Budget tune
I have the Trifecta budget tune and love it. Great bang for the buck. I did however get it turned on/off with the cruise control but unfortunately it works the opposite of what I anticipated. In retrospect I would get it on all the time.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Garage
I was going to drive my auto N/A coupe up to JR performance in Phoenix for a tune but they no longer tune 4 bangers so I went with a Trifecta DIY tune. It was not quite as advertised and did not include a TCM tune as their installation instructions said. They claim shift points are somehow managed by the ECM tune. Also they no longer offer tune selection via the cruise control so it is always on - no way to compare tuned vs stock. Seems to run okay but gas mileage is poor for a small car. That probably has more to do with gearing than tune - 80 mph = 3200 rpm when it could be 2500 rpm.

If you still have your cable maybe Trifecta will send you the new tuning.

SteveBot39
'09 NA Cool Silver Coupe
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 AM

I installed the Budget tune in my 09 GXP 5 speed, otherwise stock. I'm happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode