Have Trifecta Budget, wanting K&N CAI, compatible? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Have Trifecta Budget, wanting K&N CAI, compatible?

Hey guys, 07 GXP is stock besides Trifecta Budget Tune (really love it!) was thinking about a K&N Typhoon CAI for my next upgrade, I was wondering if it would throw anything off with the tune? I understand I probably won't make any/much performance gains from the CAI, but I really like the "breathing" sound (intake and BOV) the car makes, and I have heard this increases
Sound. Basically, I'm just wanting to know if the CAI will not mess up any
Type of timing with my budget tune...I do plan to add more mods and will have to retune in the future, but for now, will it be fine? What can I expect sound or performance wise from this install?
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

You will most probably be okay. I was okay with GMPP intake. K&N intakes in my experience usually are okay without a tune. If you go with another intake, or notice drivability issues at idle etc., you may need to upgrade to a datalogged tune or see if maybe you can switch to a ECP Budget tune that does not use the MAF. Your Trifecta dealer can help you.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! What all did u notice from the intake? Sound? Acceleration gains?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I had a CAI on my GXP and was an interested observer when there were a LOT of threads discussing the utility of a CAI.

The end result was
1) GM powertrain engineers made it clear that the factory filter was very efficient and not a limiting factor on HP
2) Several people with tuned cars noted that the CAI did not provide any measurable improvement in performance
3) The CAI is not truely a CAI as they all take in air from the same location as the factory airbox
4) One member ran tests and found that once the car is in motion, the temperature at the intake for either the CAI or the factory airbox is essentially ambient temperature
5) All CAIs eliminate the sound trapping design provided by the factory airbox and as a result you get a lot of intake noise that some find disturbing
6) Some CAIs were found to actually reduce performance
7) Several members noted that using an oiled aircleaner element resulted in MAF contamination. This elicited a lot of discussion.

The consensus opinion I came away with was that I would not use an oiled filter element, that the CAI isnt, that there is little or perhaps no improvement in performance and I can testify to a lot of intake noise.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you Rob, can I ask which brand CAI you had/have? Seeing as how Solos Hi-Flow Cat is around the same price...would this be a better option and would I be able to use it with the budget tune for a while? Also would the hi flow cat make the exhaust (stock) louder?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
Thank you Rob, can I ask which brand CAI you had/have? Seeing as how Solos Hi-Flow Cat is around the same price...would this be a better option and would I be able to use it with the budget tune for a while? Also would the hi flow cat make the exhaust (stock) louder?
FWIW, I had both GMPP and AEM intakes at different times. Both used non-oiled filters. Both had minimal to no effect on horsepower. Both made a lot of extra intake noise.

I'm back to a completely stock intake.

Someone else will have to address whether the Solo Hi-Flow cat will work with the budget tune. It will make the exhaust sound louder.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

It seems like no one had really been happy with their CAI purchase...would a louder exhaust drown out the louder intake noise from a CAI?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I had the Dejon CAI. I liked it but it was cosmetic more than anything else.

The high flow cat is one of the few after market bits of hardware that actually provide increased performance. I saw +18 HP after the GMPP tune unlock. The "accepted" range is 16 - 18 + hp.

I dont have any specific knowledge about how the increased flow affects your specific tune. But I suspect that it is great enough that it will probably need to be accounted for in the tune data. If you have already installed the tune, talk with the tuner and ask him directly.

I highly recommend the Solo HF cat.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
It seems like no one had really been happy with their CAI purchase...would a louder exhaust drown out the louder intake noise from a CAI?
I bought mine before there was a lot of experential information on the forums. As soon as I started the car after installing it, I immediatenly understood what others were complaining about. At start, there is a giant sucking sound as the ECM calibrates the MAF sensor inputs. It sounds . . . bad. If you wait it will steay down and go back to a more normal intake sound, or if you blip the throttle it will go back to a more normal sound.

When ever you put your foot into the throttle and let off to shift, you get a very loud blast of sound as the building boost is shut off by the intake valve. It was so disconcerting that for the first 2-3 days I was convinced that I was going to pull the CAI and reinstall the stock airbox. But I found over time that I grew to accept if not particularly like the sound and it was just easier to leave it as is.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you again Rob! I have heard (and no disrespect to Dejon at all) that the Dejon CAI does increase noise possibly more so than the K&N , do you have any experience with hearing a solstice with the K&N typhoon CAI? I think I may make the Hi Flow Cat my choice for now , over the CAI
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Founding Member

The issue is the oil on the K&N filter. I had the K&N dropping filter and had to take it off because of the oil residue in the MAF. I was very careful when installing the filter making sure there was no excessive oil on it. After a few weeks of use the problems with the MAF showed up. Put the OEM filter back on and has been there for a long time with no issues. Performance was the same
As others have said the Hi Flow cat will be by far a better investment for you.
You do need to talk to Vince and see if the budget tune needs any changes.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ok thank you guys...LV, would the changes be just to see a better gain, or would they be something that if I did not retune, it could hurt my car
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ditto on going with the Solo High Flow cat. Plus much less chance of it affecting the tune if at all.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Guess I'll be going Solo! CAI can wait, if at all...now just gonna hoPe they have a holiday sale :-)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think you will like the Solo cat.

There is at least one good video on Youtube about R&Ring the cat that is good to watch. If you are doing it yourself, while the video shows jacking up the engine to gain clearance, many have swapped out their cats without jacking the engine. It is an interesting challenge but it can be done.

Also, make sure that the O2 extension tube is installed on the sensor AFTER the cat and you will have no problems. When we did mine, the instructions were text only and a bit ambiguous so we did it incorrectly.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.