Have Trifecta Budget, wanting K&N CAI, compatible? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

I wouldn't bother getting a CAI at all, unless you want the increased noise or simply want to clean up the under hood appearance and eliminate the plastic tube spigot that frequently breaks when changing a filter.

The high flow CAT is a good bit of gear and works just fine with the GMPP tune, although I don't think it gives you as much as 18 bhp on top of that tune, more like 10. Either way, you will have an increase in exhaust noise, so do this on its own and see how you like it, before considering any other exhaust changes. Some of the free flow exhausts in combination with the high flow CAT can result in excessive noise.

Frankly, after the CAT replacement, I'd concentrate on handling improvements, if you are the type that appreciates such things. Let us know how you drive and we can make some other suggestions.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm not really sure what category my driving is in...basically, I drive normal for the most part...but I do get on it quite often, but normally short spurts (50mph-100mph...30-80...things like that) I do have some very curvy roads around here, but I havnt really explored them with my sol...I like accelerating fast, I guess that's my type of driving, and I like coming out of corners fast, and I guess I do normally take corners faster than most...only if it's dry of course
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

I've asked before, and have been answered, but last time... Can someone explain the functions of each separately : probeam, backbone, and LVs (front brace I believe)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
Ok thank you guys...LV, would the changes be just to see a better gain, or would they be something that if I did not retune, it could hurt my car
Yes just to see if the basic tune will adjust itself to the new found cat.
Adding the high flow cat should not have any adverse issues with the tune in my opinion.
However you should just check with Vince, he is just a phone call away.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
I've asked before, and have been answered, but last time... Can someone explain the functions of each separately : probeam, backbone, and LVs (front brace I believe)
What those three mods do is tighten the chassis to reduce flex, letting the rest of the suspension do their job. You feel the car has lot more control while you drive. These is a very quick explanation rather than going into a more detail description of each.
By the way the LV front brace is now sold exclusively by DDM, so you can have a one stop shop for all three items.
These are one of the best mods you can do to the car that will help the way the car feels and behave.
If you want to go further with the suspension then you have to get into better shocks and sway bars plus TIRES.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I now run a "backbone", a Probeam, and a LVFB. I installed them in that order. The backbone takes a lot of the "shudder" out of impacts, imparting a more "european" feel in the chassis through increased chassis rigidity. By also increasing torsional stiffness significantly, it also helps to keep alignments more ideal under high cornering loads, which ultimately leads to better handling. But what you'll "feel" most, is better ride quality, and less "shudder" after impact.

If you've ever noticed how when you're accelerating from a stop say into a left turn, and as you're shifting weight back and to the right rear tire, the car will want to start to break traction, and as it does, you stop accelerating as much, and you get this back and forth load effect that ultimately reduces the traction particularly when you're accelerating. After installing the Probeam, the rear end was sufficiently stiffened up that I know longer get this effect. Instead, it transitions between over and understeer depending on throttle and cornering load . . . not weird oscillating weight shifting as traction comes and goes. It makes the car much easier to initiate a slide, and control it.

As a side note . . .works particularly well with a ZOK rear sway bar and the front LNF sway bar as it brings the car much closer to neutral at the limit of traction, and with the probeam, you can initiate slides, and more importantly, control yaw with the throttle.

The LVFB noticeably reduced hood/cowl shake. Basically, when I hit a bump, my hood and shudder like it was barely attached. The LVFB stiffened up the front end enough to significantly reduce this. It also took some of the "slop" out of the steering. It kinda reminds me of a similar improvement to using polyurethane bushings in control arms . . . slightly more towards that Porsche connectedness feel that you can get from using things like solid metal ball joints instead of rubber bushings.

Oh, and in my opinion, I'd do all of these mods I've mentioned personally, before changing the coilovers themselves. The stock FE3/GXP/RL Bilsteins are pretty damn good and have OE durability/longevity that most aftermarket coilovers can't come close to, particularly if you have a daily driver. I now run GMPP Bilstein coilovers with ZOK springs, and while I do like the setup immensely as a complete package, if you don't want to reduce ride quality by going with stiffer springs, you will still have amazing handling.

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 11-15-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ok, awesome thank you guys! Now on my
List, after the handling stuff, will be exhaust...I would really like the car with a very aggressive sound...wonder if street race and hi flow cat would be overboard...would I still be able to hold a conversation (top up) on the hIghway at 65mph with that combo? Any opinions ?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Founding Member

I do not have either so could not comment on your question.
I do know the street racer is loud when you step on the gas and drive away.

~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
I do not have either so could not comment on your question.
I do know the street racer is loud when you step on the gas and drive away.
Which I would like! But, I'm wondering if it would be to loud? Mostly I'm wondering at cruising speeds, say a 55mph road, and a 65mph road...I would want to hear the radio just fine and have a conversation just fine while at a steady speed, but would love it loud when accelerating!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

JesseB, I would highly recommend the mach shorty. I love the sound on mine. When you cruise it is quiet enough and you can enjoy the radio - when you get on it is sounds great. I will see if I can get a You Tube made this week for you.

Since I have been Trifecta dealer for a long time, I am fortunate to have timely access to Vince for questions and service. Feel free to contact me for any questions. I am 99% sure the high flow cat will not need or benefit from a tuning adjustment (remember asking this before) but I will check with Vince tomorrow (he is out today) to verify.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Verified we would not need a re-tune for a just a Solo HF Cat.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Awesome! Thank you! I do really like the Mach Shorty as well, but it's quite a bit more expensive :-/
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
I had a CAI on my GXP and was an interested observer when there were a LOT of threads discussing the utility of a CAI.

The end result was
1) GM powertrain engineers made it clear that the factory filter was very efficient and not a limiting factor on HP
2) Several people with tuned cars noted that the CAI did not provide any measurable improvement in performance
3) The CAI is not truely a CAI as they all take in air from the same location as the factory airbox
4) One member ran tests and found that once the car is in motion, the temperature at the intake for either the CAI or the factory airbox is essentially ambient temperature
5) All CAIs eliminate the sound trapping design provided by the factory airbox and as a result you get a lot of intake noise that some find disturbing
6) Some CAIs were found to actually reduce performance
7) Several members noted that using an oiled aircleaner element resulted in MAF contamination. This elicited a lot of discussion.

The consensus opinion I came away with was that I would not use an oiled filter element, that the CAI isnt, that there is little or perhaps no improvement in performance and I can testify to a lot of intake noise.

Just to revive this and get it back to K&N CAI.....

Where did anyone find this? If you go out to K&N's site, there is no CAI offered for the 2.0 Solstice/Sky (I know Rob that you are using dejon)?

So with Rob's comments above, items 1-2, look at the dimensions of the stock flat filter, .875 thickness (this is a bit thinner than many other filters I looked at tonight), 14.75" x 9.5" this is HUGE (this is from K&N's site)! Just look at the square inches, go and put in any vehicle on K&N's site and look at filter size. Not that I am complaining but why is the filter so large?

I looked at the following vehicles just to see what was going on around the auto world:

Cadillac CTS-V
'09 Corvette, Cobalt, and HHR (latter 2 turbo)
Ford V10
'09 Mustang shelby
Nissan 370 (has dual filters)
Lambo
Porsche, etc.

K&N has flow data for their replacement drop in filters. The Solstice GXP filter is shown to flow 943.6 CFM. The 2.4 for that matter with almost the same filter flows 842.2. Both are also shown to be very efficient in allowing dust clogging while still flowing.

What's amazing though is that no other filter came close (filter not as big):

The Ford v10: 783.7 CFM
Mustang: 577.2
Corvette: 423.6
Cady ctsv: 428
Cobalt: 371.4
HHR: 176.3 CFM !!!

With respect to item 3 above, not sure about that. From what I have seen the aftermarket CAI's that are available do take air from in front of the radiator like the stock air box, but that's all I would say. The stock box takes air from the very front of the car right at the air intake honeycomb to the right of the license plate (and just a little above). So this would be more of a cold air intake, and as shown above in comparing with other vehicles, don't worry about CFM flow.

Item 7 and MAF, I have always been very concerned with this, but if you read K&N's site, they provide several tests where they seem to be very certain their oil is NOT causing any MAF issues.

I wouldn't mind trying the K&N drop in filter after reading on their site, but I'm not sure this would improve performance much over the stock filter? Do we really need more flow?

K&N does list CAI's for the Cobalt and HHR, but no wonder given their stock flow. Interesting though, they show like 10HP or so increases, yet aren't we all supposed to be rated 260HP from GM? Makes me wonder on fudging numbers here with GM, ie give or take 10hp we're going to list all these 2.0 lnf's as 260hp stock. Reality is the potential is greater with the Solstice/Sky in terms of intake air flow and power output?

just some thoughts/observations.... Can anyone find a K&N filter on their site with higher CFM flow numbers for a stock drop in element?
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5822 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.

Last edited by Shadofax; 03-16-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.