Magnaflow Catback, what do you think? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Magnaflow Catback, what do you think?

As usual I told myself when I got the car I wouldn't go crazy and would do very little to change the car. I had no intentions of changing the exhaust, but of course now I am looking for something to do and I feel I need a bit more tone. The car is my daily so I don't want an obnoxious level of drone, I dealt with that in my last car and changed the exhaust 4 times before I was comfortable with the sound.

I have an opportunity to pick up the magnaflow catback for $300, possibly less if I can negotiate, which is why I am considering this system. I have done extensive searching on the various systems offered for the gxp and have listened to sound clips, but I am looking for the input of those with this system or those who have had the magnaflow at some point.

Thank you

Parts for Sale -> http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...trictor-87330/

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
silverfox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im not positive on this, but Ive been told on here by others that the convertable doesnt really have much drone, ive only heard a few drone complaints and all were from the coupe...cant help much with your real question, only throwing that out there...SOLO has a very good reputation and stand by their products, as well as install them for you, but they are very far from your location...if you do decide on the magnaflow and its not quite loud enough and/or you would like a performance boost as well, you can always add the SOLO HF CAT...
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the input. I have come across the same as well and it seems to be the coupe that suffers from the worst drone conditions. I definitely like the Solo systems and the quality seems excellent, but the cost is a determining factor for me. I went through this with my previous car though because with switching the exhaust 4 times I could have bought a nice prefabbed catback system, so I hope to not go through the same process again. I don't mind the sound of the stock exhaust at times, there are certain moments where I can hear a slight burble that sounds nice, but I wish there was a bit more sound at times. If the magnaflow accomplishes a slightly louder than stock tone, than I will be happy with that.

I also have an opportunity to purchase an mbrp catback, but it will cost me $500+ tax and shipping. I am not sure of the specifics or model yet. I like the sound from what I have heard, but I do not like the motorcycle looking mufflers on some of these systems.

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I had one on my GXP for a couple of years. It was a bit too quiet under power and tended to ...not exactly drone but was there at cruise more than the wife liked.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have the magnaflow with a low back pressure cat. Sound is quite acceptable as long as you keep your foot out of it. Foot in.... very loud. I am going to a more conventional custom muffler to quiet things down a bit .

Sam in CA
CASam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I installed the Magnaflow a few weeks after I purchased my car. I like it a lot. I thought the stock exhaust was far to quiet. Magnaflow is not loud at all in my opinion and I don't get any droning, but everyone has different thresholds for what is acceptable. WOT exhaust note sounds great. Cold start up drone is really amplified, but that is my only real complaint and I am sure we'd get that with any aftermarket option. Also the tips on the Magnaflow look really awesome. I have been complimented several times on the way it looks.

For $300 do it! I got mine new on sale for around $530 shipped.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Love My Magnaflow

Installed mine whin the car was 6 months old, love the sound at WOT and have no drone. Would do it again in a NY minute.

Paid $400 for mine, $350 is a great deal. Have it welded to seal and prevent future leaks. Best up-grade I have done.

Mean GXP (VIN 117835 11/06 )
Name: Growler
Name: Growler (Vin #4878) Traded for Mean GXP 3/19/07
Mean, dark side, ebony leather w/red stiching, LSD, ABS, AC, Monsoon 6CD changer, mats , headliner, stability control, XM, power pkg., convenience pkg., chrome wheels, sport peddles, Fiam Air Horns, Magnaflow, De-badged, shortened waste gate rod mod.
Garage Mates: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300, 2003 Yukon w/K&N CAI, 2003 Honda CRV
David Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm thinking I'll pick it up because for the price it seems worth it. I have thought about just swapping a muffler in place of the stock, but I haven't seen much of this done on a gxp. It's the sound I'm looking for because I know there is not much performance to be had through exhaust on these cars.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the Magnaflow cat back and the Solo high-flow cat. Here's a little three minute video I made with my camera attached to the back near the license plate between the exhaust tips. You can get an idea of the sound. I like it and would do it again. Never noticed any drone top up or down on the highway. I'm happy with the set up and would do it again. Too bad I have to go to the trouble to swap back to the stock cat next summer when registration renewal time comes around and I have to get her smogged. (I loathe the California CARB Nazis.) After the smog check, the Solo cat goes back on.

P1010687.MOV - YouTube

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 11-27-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for that video, I have been looking for something like that to better hear the magnaflow. There are not too many sound clips of that system as others. It sounds very nice and I like the burble on deceleration. It seems to amplify the sound that the stock exhaust has because I have noticed the stock system does have a burble sound, but it is not audible under driving conditions.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox90 View Post
Thank you for that video, I have been looking for something like that to better hear the magnaflow. There are not too many sound clips of that system as others. It sounds very nice and I like the burble on deceleration. It seems to amplify the sound that the stock exhaust has because I have noticed the stock system does have a burble sound, but it is not audible under driving conditions.
You should know that the sound did get somewhat louder when I replaced stock cat with the Solo unit. At the same time I changed cats, I also replaced the BSR tune with an HP tune. Not only did the Solo cat improve the sound over just the Magnaflow cat back (which was an improvement over the stock GXP exhaust), but in conjunction with the HP tune, so was the seat-of-the-pants-feel for increased acceleration.

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.
Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I put the Solo quiet cat back on Green Dragon and she loves it. It gives a nice sound but is very unobtrusive at cruise.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, It looks like I'm going to do it! We agreed on $275, and the guy says he only put 5,000 miles on the kit, either way it's not like it can go bad. I don't plan on changing out the cat or anything else for now, so this should give me the subtle sound increase I'm looking for. Of course I really like the sound and quality of the solo systems, but for the price it is hard to pass up the magnaflow.

I appreciate the many responses and sound clips and if anyone has more input or clips keep them coming! I won't be picking it up until tomorrow afternoon, so there is still time to change my mind.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you just want to do the muffler it's a muffler off of a Camaro used in their kit.
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I never updated, but I did go through with the deal and have had the exhaust installed for almost a month. The sound is great during shifting and produces a nice burble and overall is not obnoxiously loud. There is noticeable drone at 55-65 mph, but can be eliminated by bumping up to 70. It is not as bad as what I've had in the past, but under load there are certain moments where it rattles interior panels, mainly the storage compartment in the waterfall and the passenger airbag cover. I did remedy this by placing velcro around the lip underneath the airbag cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.