Max safe boost - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Max safe boost

Does anyone know what our stock piston can handle? Safely?
Devair28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Asked many times and you can search the fora for more detail, but what I recall having been said is up to ~400hp (engine) for stock GXP. Of course, that statement is worth its cost Or in other words YMMV!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, just to give you an idea....

Those are the stock pistons @ 26psi. If you look at the 1st ring you can see some combustion taking place passed the First ring. While a hair is expected, not a good deal of it is not good. Hope this gives you a good idea of what to expect. These pistons made 368whp 446wtrq on stock turbo.
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.

Last edited by 40rty; 12-12-2012 at 12:49 AM.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
While you are looking consider that GM went to sintered rods in I think 08 which are supposadly much more susceptible to failure due to knock.

Factory LE5 Connecting Rods - PLEASE READ

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
and this from KP forum
2008+ 2.4L weaker motor????? "YES"

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well right now the power is amazing. We are at 25 psi. Should we turn it down one or two? and about the connecting rods, i have an LNF so i dont know if that still applies.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would do 22-23psi. Have you dyno'd?
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok sweet and no we have not. I have another question for you. When you accelerate hard does load ticking happen sometimes then go away once you punch it once or twice?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Where are you hearing it come from?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

@40rty so if those were the wiseco pistons would it be a different story? thinking about doing the pistons and connecting rods soon, im not tuned yet but im going to be and im at 65kmiles.
Antenna Delete
Eibach Sportlines 2" Drop

Future Mods:
Trifecta Tune
Solo Performance Street-Race
Hahn Intercooler
Slik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think the fuel regulator. But once i have floored it a little and let the car run it goes away. and i guess my blow of valve or turbo sounds louder. also feels like i have more power. Its silver disk the connects to the rails
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
@40rty so if those were the wiseco pistons would it be a different story? thinking about doing the pistons and connecting rods soon, im not tuned yet but im going to be and im at 65kmiles.
regarding how they look...no matter what pistons you have you're going to have carbon buildup on the crowns. Now, the Forged Wiseco pistons are much more dense so they will be able to hold up to more horse power compared to the stock pistons. Rods are very import and the LNF's stock rods are pretty good but if you're going to be getting into the 400's then changing them out will be a good idea. I put the carillo rods in my engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devair28 View Post
I think the fuel regulator. But once i have floored it a little and let the car run it goes away. and i guess my blow of valve or turbo sounds louder. also feels like i have more power. Its silver disk the connects to the rails
the Silver disk is the Fuel Pressure Reg. The ticking is the direct injection(HPFP) system. On the LNF its a noticeable sound but normal. If it bothers you, you can purchase from Crate Engine Depot a molding that goes right over the HPFP to help dampen the sound a little( I think it's like $6 or so).
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

thanks 40rty!
Antenna Delete

Future Mods:
Trifecta Tune
Hahn Intercooler
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to oldskool
How much boost depends on what turbocharger as well. The stock turbo is going to make more torque and "hit" harder at lower RPM, which IMO is harder on the pistons ultimately than making steady power to redline. Running it above 22psi or so is going to generation higher IATs too, and that is definitely harder on the pistons. These are really strong motors as tested by companies like ZZP, but there's only to much real abuse it is going to take. If you want more power than the stock turbo can generate at an efficient boost, get a bigger turbo and run the same or slightly more boost, and have it professionally tuned. Delta LNF guys are running 400+whp daily, the weak link for them being the clutch and transmission. We seem to be blessed with a pretty strong drivetrain overall.

I should note that I'm not just making conversation lol, i'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'm trying to wrap up an EFR turbo install now with intentions to make high 300s/low 400s on a completely stock engine/drivetrain. I'm pretty confident with a little respect for the hardware that it will take it. It's not a race car, drag car or anything like that. It's a fun weekend car FWIW.
2008 BRAZEN GXP - 5M Loaded Tuned to 22 PSI with HPT, AEM water/methanol injection kit - 4gph, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler. Solo street race exhaust, Catless, LE5 Throttle body, ZFR 6758, custom CAI 307whp on dyno dynamics - stock turbo (21 psi) 463whp/454wtq EFR 6758 26-27 psi,100 octane - tuned by me

2006 SLY 2.4 Comfort and Power - TRADED 28-Aug-2008
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
How much boost depends on what turbocharger as well. The stock turbo is going to make more torque and "hit" harder at lower RPM, which IMO is harder on the pistons ultimately than making steady power to redline. Running it above 22psi or so is going to generation higher IATs too, and that is definitely harder on the pistons. These are really strong motors as tested by companies like ZZP, but there's only to much real abuse it is going to take. If you want more power than the stock turbo can generate at an efficient boost, get a bigger turbo and run the same or slightly more boost, and have it professionally tuned. Delta LNF guys are running 400+whp daily, the weak link for them being the clutch and transmission. We seem to be blessed with a pretty strong drivetrain overall.

I should note that I'm not just making conversation lol, i'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'm trying to wrap up an EFR turbo install now with intentions to make high 300s/low 400s on a completely stock engine/drivetrain. I'm pretty confident with a little respect for the hardware that it will take it. It's not a race car, drag car or anything like that. It's a fun weekend car FWIW.
i hope everything works out, i would too like to be in that power range for a daily car, i just have to keep researching lol oh and yea the money
Antenna Delete

Future Mods:
Trifecta Tune
Hahn Intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.