Service Traction/Reduced Engine Power PROBLEM - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Service Traction/Reduced Engine Power PROBLEM

Hey everyone.

Hoping i can find some help. First the specs
07 GXP w/ 50k miles
GMPP Tune
Solo high flow cat
Solo RCD exhaust
19in Gravana staggard wheels
Did i mention the car is matte black?!?!

Back on topic... I was driving home on a neighborhood street going 35 mph or so. Out of no where the traction light comes on and in the dash it reads the following:
"service traction"
"ESC"
"Traction Off"
"reduced engine power"

Now the problem has become a reoccuring issue. When maintaining a constant speed I feel the engine let up slightly for a brief moment and then return to holding speed. My rpms dont seem to change at all and speed holds +- 1 mph. It will do this several times over a couple minutes and then throw the "service traction" lights. I notice this because i can feel my body move forward as it lets up. Its not my foot because i can feel the same effect when i set the car on cruise control. As a matter of fact the problem occurs more often when i am in cruise control.

I took it into my usual GM dealer to service the problem. They return the next day saying it was the throttle sticking causing the computer to go out of whack. Car ran fine for about a 3 days and the problem returned. I took the car back and it has been at the shop for about a week now. They think its a computer problem.

Naturally i start thinking it could be fuel pump/filter/injector or spark plugs, but they seem confident its not a mechanical issue. Either way when it goes into "reduced engine power" the boost is eliminated and acceleration is severlly reduced. I could be all the way into to peddle and it will only accelerate slowly.

Any input on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Sam
SOLO RCD Exhaust
NORMS Rear Diffuser
NORMS Front Splitter
GRAVANA 19" Black J2 wheels
10" Pioneer Premier ib-flat TSW sub
Stubby Antenna
ssandova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you been through any big rain storms lately?
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nothing to crazy in as far as rain storms go. we have been getting a good amount of rain, but I live in san diego so anything other than sunshine is consider out of the ordinary. Compared with those who live in areas that have real weather it may not be seen as much rain.

I was reading some other posts and seen sputtering problems which sound oddly familiar to what i'm feeling when holding a constant speed. Seems as if its due to loose wiring of the new sensors in the GMPP TUNE??? The only difference is that no one else has mentioned a "service traction" reading that i'm seeing go off as soon as it reads "reduced engine power."
SOLO RCD Exhaust
NORMS Rear Diffuser
NORMS Front Splitter
Stubby Antenna
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

The reason I asked about rain storms:

When I first got my car: Went through a car wash, car went into “service traction control”, then full limp mode. Took it to service. First thing they say is bad throttle body. They change that. No improvement. Then they find water in the ECM harness. Clean it out, dry it out and declare car is “fixed”. Two years later car starts acting up badly (but also had continued weird various “electrical problems” during the two years as well). Car dies in traffic, and/or goes into full limp mode, etc. They finally find “corrosion in the ECM harness pins”. They rebuild pins and harness, now car runs normal again. It took a field engineer to properly diagnose the issue, even though local service had observed water in the ECM harness two years earlier. And looking back on the problem, my “weird electrical problems” would always occur in the spring and fall, when we have the big rain storms here.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. I'll mention that to the mechanics today.

Yet another morning with no car... lame. Hopefully we can get to the root of the problem here in the next couple days.

Anyone with any other suggestions as to what is causing my problem please let me know.
SOLO RCD Exhaust
NORMS Rear Diffuser
NORMS Front Splitter
Stubby Antenna
Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am experiencing the same issue with my Solstice... did you receive any indication of what was causing the problem?
tbcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

i have a 2008 solstice with 27,000 miles. same problem just started. firdt it happened when getting out into traffic on during dry conditions. second time it happened just after a downpour and getting out into traffic. it's off to the dealer tomorrow.
tbirdtom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

A good backup reason as to why I don't plan to ever drive my Sky in the rain lol.
IM0001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had this problem for a while.Ended up being an underboost condition...look for leaks around the charge tubing and intercooler. Seems if the engine senses underboost it will kill everything. Try this, clear the codes and shift early to make the engine build boost,. If it triggers this predictably in this mode of operation, you've found your broblem....air leak!....Jim
PASSIONRE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.