stock clutch power and torque limits? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

stock clutch power and torque limits?

So I'm in a dilemma with my clutch. I just bought another sky a couple of months ago after mine had been unfortunately flooded... The car is in great shape even better than the last when I had bought that one. I picked it up with only 41k miles on her. I got home and had the car stock for about 3 weeks and then threw on a e47 tune and intake. The car runs fantastic and clutch held great. Well it wasnt until about 3 weeks after having the e47 tune on that the clutch had begun to slip. Now I've heard some people say this and that about our stock clutch. I'm a good driver with a clutch as I have driven manual transmission my entire life.

My questions is this: As of the near future, I only want to do full bolt ons and e47 tune on stock turbo. I do plan to go with a zzp zfr later, but not in the super near future. So should a brand new oem clutch be ok to handle the roughly 400 wheel ft lbs of torque that a stock turbo full bolt ons set up can make? I've had the DDM works performance clutch and it is absolutely fantastic! However, with a stock turbo and full bolt ons, I believe it would be quite excessive for a smaller amount of power.

Can anyone chime in on how their oem clutch is doing and on your power level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:42 AM

The stock clutch is good for about 350ft/lbs. And I'd give +/- 30ft/lbs. My car has 80k on it, and I have 317ft/lbs at the wheels. Let me ask you a question....are you sure you don't have a rear main seal leak? Mine has a slight leak and when it sits all winter, my clutch slips for the first several hundred miles at higher torque levels. I didn't know I had one until my last oil change at a new dealer I'm going too. I might actually get around to fixing it this winter!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
The stock clutch is good for about 350ft/lbs. And I'd give +/- 30ft/lbs. My car has 80k on it, and I have 317ft/lbs at the wheels. Let me ask you a question....are you sure you don't have a rear main seal leak? Mine has a slight leak and when it sits all winter, my clutch slips for the first several hundred miles at higher torque levels. I didn't know I had one until my last oil change at a new dealer I'm going too. I might actually get around to fixing it this winter!
Thank you for your input! No, I don't have any leaks here! I'm on an e47 tune and have an intake and exhaust system. I'm making about 360ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels. For the first few weeks it held it just fine, but then began to start slipping. If I remember correctly, my old sky that I had didnt have this issue until several thousands of miles later. I do know that the person that owned the car before me (this current sky) learned to drive stick in it so probably slipped the clutch quite a bit. I've heard some people saying oh they have held like 400whp and 400wtq on the factory clutch. If the factory clutch can just hold full bolt ons and e47 tune on stock turbo, then I'd be happy. Even if it only held that power for about 30k miles because a new facotry clutch is so cheap.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 AM

Garage
I run ~ 375 Tq and have no problems, but I'm quite gentle on the clutch, a result of racing all those years and being the one that had to change it if I ruined it.

I wonder if the previous owner wasn't as clutch savvy as you are? Bet you could just put in a stock clutch and have it last very well with your driving habits. If you do drag racing starts, go for something better, though.
Steelmesh likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Mods at http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I run ~ 375 Tq and have no problems, but I'm quite gentle on the clutch, a result of racing all those years and being the one that had to change it if I ruined it.

I wonder if the previous owner wasn't as clutch savvy as you are? Bet you could just put in a stock clutch and have it last very well with your driving habits. If you do drag racing starts, go for something better, though.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you have as far as modifications? If your car is holding 375 rwtq and having no issues thats great news! I hardly ever take off hard from a dead stop. Maybe every now and then like once every 3-6 months when I have a nice stretch of road and no one around which almost never happens in Houston lol.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansalazan View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what do you have as far as modifications? .
Big wheel turbo swap and custom Trifecta tune.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Big wheel turbo swap and custom Trifecta tune.
Which company did you go with on the big wheel swap? I always figured it wouldnt really be worth it but I could be wrong haha. Are you on e47 tune? That will usually pick torque up a ton!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 AM

Garage
Werks mods the stock turbos adding a larger impeller. I run 94 octane.

If you want details on this mod, see Werks Big Wheel Going In - 5-speed Coupe

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Werks mods the stock turbos adding a larger impeller. I run 94 octane.

If you want details on this mod, see Werks Big Wheel Going In - 5-speed Coupe
Thats pretty cool I didn't even know that werks did that. I wonder how much it is. Well thats good to know that you have this and are on the stock clutch still holding that power. Makes me feel a little more reassured
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Garage
WERKSracing WR-1 2.0T LNF "Big Wheel" Turbo Upgrade, Performance Autowerks

That thread I cited has dyno charts of the mod.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Hmm Well this helps alot I really do appreciate your input on this! If the stock clutch setup can hold that big wheel turbo torque and some boltons, I dont see why it couldnt hold up to a fully bolted stock turbo with e47 tune. Hopefully someone has the setup I'm in the process of going and chimes in
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 PM

Do some reading and searching on both options and you can decide for yourself.

I find the big wheel option on gas noted earlier is a small and basic hp upgrade. The stepped hp/tq changes which accumulate at rpm rather than off idle are quite manageable on the stock clutch. The E47 upgrade on a stock car is a fat significant tq increase across the the rpm, from idle on up (as well as hp). Especially as many people have tuned their cars. Ride that hard and it will wear the stock clutch quickly. And as mentioned it depends on the previous clutch wear as well as driving style. Feeding the throttle in slowly is much different than feeding it in fast, which wspjohn appears to allude to but you seem to associate only with hard take-offs. Not rocket science here. Read up (lots of historical posts), digest, and decide what will work or what you need.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-18-2016 at 11:37 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
Do some reading and searching on both options and you can decide for yourself.

I find the big wheel option on gas noted earlier is a small and basic hp upgrade. The stepped hp/tq changes which accumulate at rpm rather than off idle are quite manageable on the stock clutch. The E47 upgrade on a stock car is a fat significant tq increase across the the rpm, from idle on up (as well as hp). Especially as many people have tuned their cars. Ride that hard and it will wear the stock clutch quickly. And as mentioned it depends on the previous clutch wear as well as driving style. Feeding the throttle in slowly is much different than feeding it in fast, which wspjohn appears to allude to but you seem to associate only with hard take-offs. Not rocket science here. Read up (lots of historical posts), digest, and decide what will work or what you need.
Ya after looking and hearing some people stories, I think I'm going to go with a brand new stock clutch for now. It should hold me for a few ten thousand miles.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:25 PM

Garage
Mods are in my sig. In the winter and using the NLS the clutch slips BAD! I've never been dyno'd, but I'd like to think I'm in the 300WHP range +/- 10WHP or so.

DDM I/C Pipes, OCC, Shifter, Adapter & Boot, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolts, trunk & hood lights
Werks I/C, Radiator, Backbone & Swaybars
reBar
K&N CAI
MF Catback
Solo Race Pipe
3bar MAP w/ ZZP Tune
Windrestrictor & Lit Sills
Heated Seat
Quaife
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Ya for the time being I actually ended up going back into the tune and limiting a little bit of the initial torque hit in 4th and 5th gear (where it was slipping) So far it seems to have helped completely! But there a cold front coming in this weekend which will give much cooler temperatures and help with power so we will just have to see if it still works then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode