throttle body - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

throttle body

Can anyone tell me where to locate the throttle body in a gxp's engine bay?
devinslawsby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Follow the end to the air intake tube. When you reach right before the intake manifold, remove that end of the air intake tube and that's where it should be. At least that's how it is on most cars.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to IBDRINKEN
Something wrong with yours..
K&N Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection

Last edited by IBDRINKEN; 12-08-2010 at 10:40 PM.
IBDRINKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDRINKEN View Post
What do you mean? Maybe if I had a turbo, but on my 2.4 it's at the end of the intake tube. Not the part with the air filter obviously. Or are you talking to the person posting this thread???

"Something wrong with yours..." does not help figure out who you are talking to. Are you telling me I'm wrong???

If you said "Something wrong with yours?" Then I would know you are talking to the original poster. lol
Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

lmao, Silver I was talking to the Op sorry for the confusion. I replaced mine over the summer and was seeing if he was having issues with his.
K&N Intake
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection
Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
lmao, Silver I was talking to the Op sorry for the confusion. I replaced mine over the summer and was seeing if he was having issues with his.
Did you replace it with DDMs larger diameter TB? I want one of those.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Not at all, I am just looking to port and polish it. I heard that polishing your throttle body will give you a few horse power as well as better throttle response.

The intake tube that comes from my cold air intake just leads to my turbo i believe. I am still having trouble determining the location of the throttle body because the air intake leads to a turbine wheel instead of the throttle body.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

its on the drivers side under the manifold
K&N Intake
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection
Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinslawsby View Post
Not at all, I am just looking to port and polish it. I heard that polishing your throttle body will give you a few horse power as well as better throttle response.

The intake tube that comes from my cold air intake just leads to my turbo i believe. I am still having trouble determining the location of the throttle body because the air intake leads to a turbine wheel instead of the throttle body.
Like I said, DDM Works sells an after market TB which is basically a 20% larger than stock throttle body. That's the same as porting and polishing the stock one out more. Might as well just buy a larger one instead of doing it yourself. Gains are only going to be about 3hp at the most. Better airflow is what your really getting out of it. Then again, does it really matter if your intake manifold insides don't match the same diameter? Think about it. You would have to have the intake manifold bored out to match it in order to truly utilize the larger TB. Without the intake manifold matching the TB your just going to get what we call the Bottle Nose effect.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

No increase in power from this on a GXP.

Must admit that the location of the TB on the GXP, quite low on the driver side, is a bit ...odd?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Ghost View Post
Like I said, DDM Works sells an after market TB which is basically a 20% larger than stock throttle body. That's the same as porting and polishing the stock one out more. Might as well just buy a larger one instead of doing it yourself. Gains are only going to be about 3hp at the most. Better airflow is what your really getting out of it. Then again, does it really matter if your intake manifold insides don't match the same diameter? Think about it. You would have to have the intake manifold bored out to match it in order to truly utilize the larger TB. Without the intake manifold matching the TB your just going to get what we call the Bottle Nose effect.
Im porting and polishing my intake manifold tommorow, and I found the tb.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
No increase in power from this on a STOCK GXP.
(It said my post was too short so I'll elaborate. Bigger throttle body on a stock LNF won't get you anything except maybe touchy throttle response. On a modified motor, WITH A PROPER TUNE to work with the larger TB, AND a modified intake manifold, you will see a power and throttle response benefit.)
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
(It said my post was too short so I'll elaborate. Bigger throttle body on a stock LNF won't get you anything except maybe touchy throttle response. On a modified motor, WITH A PROPER TUNE to work with the larger TB, AND a modified intake manifold, you will see a power and throttle response benefit.)
Certainly, but these guys are talking about bolting it on a stock engine, in which case my brief assessment covers it - no power boost. Just like the so called cold air intake.

I wonder how much else you'd have to do to the engine and tune to make the stock TB a bottleneck? Perhaps use a larger turbo?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I wonder how much else you'd have to do to the engine and tune to make the stock TB a bottleneck? Perhaps use a larger turbo?
Yeah Bill, it would take a bigger turbo and/or ported head, valve springs, intercooler, exhaust, etc, etc, to make putting a bigger throttle body on an LNF a good idea. Otherwise you'd probably do more harm than good. Hey, weren't we talking about the "bigger is better" mentality on another thread or forum?! It's hard to get guys over that idea. I know you get it.

Devinslawsby, I don't know how to say this without being mean, but if you're having a hard time finding the throttle body, please, PLEASE, don't mess with trying to port or polish it. It absolutely is not something that should be done by anyone that isn't very good at these kinds of things. You will not gain any horsepower and more than likely will cause new problems.

Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 12-12-2010 at 09:29 AM.
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ASETech67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Yeah Bill, it would take a bigger turbo and/or ported head, valve springs, intercooler, exhaust, etc, etc, to make putting a bigger throttle body on an LNF a good idea. Otherwise you'd probably do more harm than good. Hey, weren't we talking about the "bigger is better" mentality on another thread or forum?! It's hard to get guys over that idea. I know you get it.

Devinslawsby, I don't know how to say this without being mean, but if you're having a hard time finding the throttle body, please, PLEASE, don't mess with trying to port or polish it. It absolutely is not something that should be done by anyone that isn't very good at these kinds of things. You will not gain any horsepower and more than likely will cause new problems.
VERY GOOD ADVICE...NO BENEFIT UNLESS EXTENSIVE MODIFICATIONS ARE DONE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM...I ONLY SEE ALOT OF POTENTIAL DOWNSIDE TO MESSING WITH THE STOCK THROTTLE BODY.
2008 Aggressive GXP (VIN 8Y113718) Premium package, CD/w USB, Monsoon Sound, XM Radio, Onstar/Bluetooth, Turbo Center Brake Light Cover, Engine Bay Fusebox Cover, Race Backbone, ProBeam, T-bolt Clamps, High Polished Engine Cover, GMPP Tune, Standard Splash Guards (Front/Rear), High Polished IC Charge Pipes, High Polished Turbo Cover, Mach Shorty Exhaust, WindRestrictor Version 2 w/Red LED's, Illuminated Door Sills (GXP/Red), GXP Leather Center Console.
ASETech67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.