k&n cold air intake - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.4 l Ecotec
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

k&n cold air intake

system good or bad? They say it only gets out 6hp. Has any one done this and if so what kind of power did u get out of it? Thanks.
solsticeguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

+1 on the curious side. Anyone get anything good out of it other then a louder intake sound
lowNslow06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Here I think they say no HP gain, only noise gain.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks i keep away from that and just bye the k&n air filter. witch will not void the warranty
solsticeguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sure someone will chime in soon and blast down that warranty statement. I'll give you a preview, installing a CAI doesn't mean your warranty is voided.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

If I recall properly, a while back someone on this forum provided the real math for how colder air affects hp...it's somewhere along the lines of for every 10 degree drop in air temp you get around 1hp more in engine output given all other parameters remain the same. Point being that "cold air" intakes are over rated. Although there is some benefit to having some slightly cooler air (air that is not heated by the engine before entering the intake), more than likely the greatest hp benefit to adding a CAI to your car is that it probably breathes a lot better than the stock configuration which tends to be restrictive in nature due to its design. Save your pennies and buy a turbo or supercharger if you want real hp gains.

MODS:
DDM S/C Stage II, Exedy Stage II Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel,
DDM Probeam, Eibach Front & Rear Anti-roll bars, 3.73 Rear w/LSD,
Kappasphere Lowering Springs, Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks,
B & B (Billy Boat) Catback Dual Exhaust, Hawk HPS Brake Pads
GXP Dual Exhaust Valance
245/40/18 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs
Dashhawk, Stubby Antenna, Custom Alignment
"Maine"-iac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I would hope that spending $4k on an up grade would gain you more HP than a $300. Up grade. Come guys not everyone wants a T/C or S/C car. Just a little more than what they have.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Most of the "CAI"'s for the na Solstice are a misnomer. They are taking the air in from the same place as the stock intake. The AEM CAI I had on mine came with a dyno chart that showed a peak hp gain of less than 1. It was something like .4 - .6. Although the butt dyno had it at 2 - 3 . With the SQR-II catback I did not notice any noise from it, but it did look very sharp under the hood .

Sold: 07 Solstice, black, 5spd manual, convenience, preferred, and premium packages, LSD, Monsoon, XM, A/C, ABS, chrome wheels.
Mods: DDM Stage II SC, Probeam, Race Backbone. Solo SQR-2 catback. Norm's first Solstice rear fascia. JPM center console. DashHawk.
RevmanII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
PAO

Send a message via Yahoo to PAO
others will also say to complete a system you should also have the CAI, shorty headers, free flow cat, and improved cat back exhaust as well to all the engine to full breathe....the CAI alone doesnt do much if anything....
VIN #4744, Cool, Deposit 5-28-05, Delivery 12-10-05, Traded 12-18-10
VA/MD/DC Solstice Club

2006 Nationals Kansas City, KS
2007 Nationals Nashville, TN
2007 TOTD
2008 TOTD
2008 SE Regional Lexington, KY
2009 SE Regional Myrtle Beach, SC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NASSOA
Founding Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community
Other Cars: 04 Chevy Malibu Maxx, 09 Cadillac CTS, 11 Subaru Outback
PAO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO View Post
others will also say to complete a system you should also have the CAI, shorty headers, free flow cat, and improved cat back exhaust as well to all the engine to full breathe....the CAI alone doesnt do much if anything....
I notice no-one mentions anything about the weight lost difference between the existing air box and the GM CAI upgrade..... I'm going to remove my air-box and install a GM CAI, will put them on a scale and report back within the next week or so....
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIC 1 View Post
I notice no-one mentions anything about the weight lost difference between the existing air box and the GM CAI upgrade..... I'm going to remove my air-box and install a GM CAI, will put them on a scale and report back within the next week or so....
It's just allot of plastic parts. The stock plastic air box doesn't weigh much at all. You not going to loose much weight when switching them out.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

The easiest and BEST thing to buy, or to make, is your own intake while retaining the stock air box and filter. Just buy a K&N drop-n filter and replace the restrictive stock tubing/with baffles.

A good smooth inside tube(less air turbulence from stock rubber flex tube) that is 2.5" or 3" wide with couplers will work just the same if not better than any aftermarket C.A.I. because the stock air box IS completely closed up from any outside heat. There is an opening at the front lower part of the air box that points directly out and towards the front of the bumper. It gets plenty of cool air form this location.

Here is one I made with parts from my local auto parts store. Noticed how I kept the stock air box in-tacked.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-29-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think you are better off just "gutting" the stock intake for more air. The airbox in these cars is pretty efficient. N/A or 2.0L Turbo.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 70k - Paid for, Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme BB/Clamps, Dejon Intake

1998 Civic EX - 5-Speed - 213k - Hey, it is cheap.
Koobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
I think you are better off just "gutting" the stock intake for more air. The airbox in these cars is pretty efficient. N/A or 2.0L Turbo.
That's basically what I did. When you remove the side "noise suppressor/baffle" and stock tube, you are "gutting out" the poor air flow and replacing it with a more direct path with smoother insides when using a solid long tube.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

All of the CAIs are of similar design, basically a straight-ish tube with an air filter stuck on the end of it. None of them provide any appreciable performance enhancement over the stock intake. Why would you think that modifying the stock inake is going to do any better ?

If you prefer the look or sound of a CAI or a modified stock intake, go for it, but don't expect any better performance.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.