k&n cold air intake - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.4 l Ecotec
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoryea1 View Post
Hello Shadofax-
MGA's.. owned/raced a 59 MGA coupe for 10 years on the vintage circuit..got out in 2004. I still have my 57 MGA with a bored B engine ,Sierra 5 spd etc and it will give the sol a run for it's money.
Me too!! (Sorry to interject, but we MGA racers are few and far between). And yes, one of my other MGAs with 3.4 GM V6 and c. 200 BHP and 2000 lbs, would give an NA Solstice a good run with 10 lbs./BHP vs. around 16 lbs./BHP....(the Solstice will have better off the line performance than a live axle car, of course)

1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #47 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Hello Shadofax-
I bought the car last Sept ,drove it for a month ,then stored it in my heated mancave. I was actually researching Sols for my wife's friend..really didn't know much about them. I was always a Corvette guy in my younger days and owned new and old ones. Then in 91, I went British..e-type, MGA's.. owned/raced a 59 MGA coupe for 10 years on the vintage circuit..got out in 2004. I still have my 57 MGA with a bored B engine ,Sierra 5 spd etc and it will give the sol a run for it's money. Anyway, I stumbled upon this sly in Mass,thought it was a misprint. Older couple(oops,I'm 64) bought it new. I bought the car sight unseen,and when I got there, it was a loaded option car(except monsoon) with 2871 miles. Our friend ened up buying a VW eos convertible and I got the sol. original window sticker,dealer key fob, cover.. even at this low mileage , it developed the pinion leak, so the recall will be done in the spring. It doesn't have the torque the the A has,but I think we'll enjoy it here in the Adirondack Mts.
All the best,
John
Malone NY
Very nice find. It never ceases to amaze me when people find essentially new cars that are 4-5 years old.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #48 (permalink)

replaced my Air filter with a KN and noticed a difference immediately. Not horse power but was running much stronger.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
Founding Member

Because of the location of the bolts I never use a torque to tighten the bolts.
As long as they are tight it should be fine.
I usually check them and so far had not had to re tight them.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #50 (permalink)

k&N and misc ramblings

Johnny D-
Did you use a dry K&N? I heard the oiled up ones(like I run on my MGA) can mess with the MAS?
Latin..did the rubber mallet thing..looks great..even better if I take off the wooden handle. Now I can see my venom brace.
Bill- feels like I know you..perhaps it's because we visit MG forums. Nice twin cam! I have a pic taken from my race car,turn one,Watkins Glen, with the two surviving Sebring coupes in front of me. Did you ever race here in the east?
My venues were Watkins Glen, Louden,New Hampshire, Mosport ,Ontario, Le Circuit de Mt. Tremblant, Que. and Lime Rock, CT dark blue coupe #330. I sold it in 2004 , and can be viewed in 2012 Pittsburgh Grand Prix. It's owned/raced by (I kid you not) a meteorologist named Storm Field. It does very well ..
So you own a Fiberfab Jamacian? In the sixties,while in college, I lusted after an Avenger GT-12. I still have all the original sales brochures for the models Fiberfab produced. I graduated in 69,went for my Army physical and bought a 68 Vette ... 327/350 ,M-21 rock crusher gearbox,,gym.susp ,4 :11 rear,as my daily driver. The co owner/founder of Fiberfab,was Eno Depasquale..I raced many times with him here in the east. The company went belly up, when his business partner went to prison for shooting and killing his wife. Eno raced a Lola in the 68 or 69 Watkins Glen Grand Prix..I have an old 8 mm film of him, long before I met him in 1995. He still has the Lola in his garage.
All the best,
John
jcoryea1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #51 (permalink)

Rob-
In my lengthly diatribe, I forgot you! It's true, there are still finds out there. My furnace guy was here today,he just found a long lost 1937 Buick business coupe here in an elderly lady's garage..no one knew..well, someone did.. in the past three years, I have by chance found/bought the following :
1966 Austin Gipsy( land rover type vehicle) very rare
1977 Honda Cb400 f Supersport(rare)
so stuff is out there!
jcoryea1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Bill- feels like I know you..perhaps it's because we visit MG forums. Nice twin cam! I have a pic taken from my race car,turn one,Watkins Glen, with the two surviving Sebring coupes in front of me. Did you ever race here in the east?

So you own a Fiberfab Jamacian? In the sixties,while in college, I lusted after an Avenger GT-12.
I am a West coaster, is I've raced at Westwood, Victoria, Seattle, Spokane, Portland and for a few years down at Laguna Seca in the early 80s when Stever Earle was just getting started with the Monterey Historics. My buddy Ralph Zbarsky is retired and has hauled his Twin Cams all over the continent including most recently to Sebring. Being retired has advantages for him, but then the pay sucks!

I was always a fan of the Jamaican body and couldn't resist buying a relatively unbutchered one when I got the chance. Re-engined with a 3.4 GM V6 with 200 BHP, it weighs only 2/3 what a Solstice NA does and has more power, so lots of fun.

Kept it as vintage looking as possible.

1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.