Question on shorty vs tri-y headers - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.4 l Ecotec
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question on shorty vs TRI-Y headers + various performance mods

Hey everybody, I have been on these boards for a little over a month now, but am more of a "lurker" than anything It's been immensely informative reading all these posts, especially with regards to performance gains on the Solstice. I do have a few question, and be basic with me, I'm not a car techie!

I keep hearing about tri-y headers and shorty headers....what is the difference? Do you do one or the other, or both? ALso, if you order a catback exhaust system, does it include muffler?

Once spring comes and that good ol' tax rebate check comes in, I'll have about 1500 dollars or so. What is the best way to spend that money for the best gains? Here is what I, JUST BASED off what I've read, have come up with:

TRI-Y Headers/Shorty (not sure, see above)
GM CAI
Magnaflow Catback System
ECM Retune

Could I get that for 1500? I'm not a HUGE performance guy who wants to do turboes and what kind of thing, I just want to do the basics to give it a little more "oompf". Thanks in advance!

Last edited by thebacon; 09-22-2006 at 12:08 PM.
thebacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founding Member

Since you are not a HUGE performance guy then go with the Shorty Header, CAI, CatBack (Includes muffler) and ECM.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founding Member

And yes, with a little judicious shopping and some do-it-yourself, you should be able to get all that for around $1500. Even if you aren't that mechanically inclined, you should be able to install at least the CAI yourself.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MDdscheneck@msn.com
dengel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

in a nutshell

shorty = more HP
long tube = more torque
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have the GM CAI, shorty header and magnaflow exhaust and it is a
totally different car. It is a little louder than I like but I don't complain
about the performance improvement.

Eventually I will get the retune, but I find the car to seem to have
many of the benefits spoken about with the return even without.

Better power throughout the RPMS in all gears.

Of course the car will never have that much in 5th like a V8.
Which it is not. It is what it is, but the improvements have helped
quite a bit.

Just got a postcard today about the car being a blank canvas for you to customize.
Pushy, pushy, pushy!!!!!!! To late I already painted my picture.

Later!

Last edited by Bought_It; 09-22-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Bought_It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Beau
Thats actually not true. The "shorties" may make significantly less horsepower, and torque.

most of the power from aftermarket headers comes by way of resonance tuning. THe diameter, and length of the primary has to be a certin length in order to aid in exhaust scavenging. Anything under 14 inches would be putting the resonance tuning very high in the rpm band, probably outside where the head or cam want to breathe, so it would be very minor improvment.

Shorties however, can be beneficial when the original manifold simply cannot flow anymore. So Shorties would be good for some sort of supercharged application.

Tri 'Y's focus on exhaust resonance tuning, and usually create more exhaust scavenging across the rpms band. Providing more area under the curve.

There are literally probably about a dozen of factors that allow headers to MAKE or free up power. Primary length seems to be one of the most effective tuning principals.

Last note. Sometimes you see CRAZY long tube headers, these headers are usually tuned on the First exhaust pulse pressure wave, and usually just make a lot of low end horsepower. While the second exhaust pulse tuning method usually falls mid and top end, in improvments, although each tuning pulse can provide gains across the board.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Beau;362027]Thats actually not true. The "shorties" may make significantly less horsepower, and torque.

most of the power from aftermarket headers comes by way of resonance tuning. THe diameter, and length of the primary has to be a certin length in order to aid in exhaust scavenging. Anything under 14 inches would be putting the resonance tuning very high in the rpm band, probably outside where the head or cam want to breathe, so it would be very minor improvment.

QUOTE]

Not ours!, because we actually have an average of @16" to our primaries. We should have been calling these "mid length, but they got stuck with "shorty"
Oh well!
TCASON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

TCASON, could you give us a breakdown of the difference between your tri and shorties, approx. hp and torque differences, what effects they would have based on driving style, effects to the cars exhaust sound.

I would like to do a header next, just not sure what would be best for me. I am not a racer, it would be more for everyday use driving with a little carrying on every so often.
GM CAI
Alpine with Monsoon Sound
Illuminated Windrestrictor
Troy S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy S View Post
TCASON, could you give us a breakdown of the difference between your tri and shorties, approx. hp and torque differences, what effects they would have based on driving style, effects to the cars exhaust sound.

I would like to do a header next, just not sure what would be best for me. I am not a racer, it would be more for everyday use driving with a little carrying on every so often.
I am unable to give you any hp&tq numbers for our Tri-y Header yet, but by the good old seat of the pants, it puts out more up to @5500rpm compared to the shorty, but with an increase in sound also,( sort of raspy ) which can be controlled with a resonator and choice of a muffler.
Either will work with any driving style, they are both very street-able and really help to turn these cars into a true sports car!
They both will eliminate that struggle getting through the rpms these cars seem to have in total stock configuration. Now you can literally break loose the tires with little effort, especially with the Tri-y Header!!
As soon as one of our customers that "already" has our Tri-y Header and high flow cat make it to the dyno, we will have some numbers
If you really want to have some fun now and then go with the Tri-y Header and high flow cat, unless you have strict visual inspections do at emmissions time, then go with the Shorty and are new high flow converter replacement, the latter being a direct replacement, less obivous of what you have done with swapping the converter.
Our high flow all 304 SS spiral wound matrix core converter (over double the flow rate of stock) will pass even Cali strictest emmissions sniffer test so no worries there.
TCASON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.