STS Rear Mount TURBO for Solstice..... - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.4 l Ecotec
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

STS Rear Mount TURBO for Solstice.....

Hi guys, Looking for feedback on who would be interested in an STS rear-mounted Turbo System for the Soltice. Our company "Mongillo Motors" is contemplating creating a kit for the Solstice/Sky if there is a demand for it.

For those of you who haven't heard of STS Remote-mounted Turbo Systems, STS won the prestigious GM Design Award for Best High Performance Product at the SEMA show. The turbo is mounted in the rear of the car leaving the engine compartment in it's original, uncramped condition.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Of course, if there is an interest, we would also become a sponsor.
Thanks, Ed

E.T. 11.39 @ 115 mph 1.60 60'

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/5e11c...a24828afd0.htm

Last edited by edgz06; 08-03-2006 at 07:32 AM.
edgz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Would be interested in more information. I'm not to familiar with the purpose of rear mounted turbos. Seems like a rear mounted turbo would increase lag.
Envious, Vin #9234 - AEM CAI, Solo Header, Solo Cat, & Magnaflow Catback Exhaust. Eagle F1 GS-D3's. Werks ECM tune coming spring of 2009 (If i don't decide to to go F/I).
sol4362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rear mounted have larger turbo units so the lag is less that you think. Ask Bradyb about this product.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rear end, the only way to go

Not That.

I want a rear mounted turbo so I can keep my "Personalized" shorty headers.
Really this is the best way to go. You don't need a heat exchanger as the trip back to the engine is all it takes to cool the charge.
VIN#531 AGGRESSIVE / Ebony. Everything except XM and onstar, no need on Maui. No Heated seats either, whatever they are.
Norm's fenders and "SOLSTICE" dual exhaust valence.
DDM stage II with DDM long tube header, high flow cat and Magna-flow cat-back.
-------------------------------------------------
"An armed populace is a polite populace".
Mark Twain.
Little Red #531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Founding Member

I believe someone on the forum was contemplating on doing this but gave up, I forget the reason he gave for not doing it.
Maybe if he sees this post he will answered it.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
SF Celebrity?

Send a message via AIM to dori-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgz06
The turbo is mounted in the rear of the car leaving the engine compartment in it's original, uncramped condition.
But why bother? There's enough room to cram a V8 under the hood, so adding a turbo really isn't THAT space consuming...

...btw, isn't this a 'commercial post?'
#17313 | Scarlett! | AC | ABS | LSD | Pwr | Conv | Single MP3 | Monsoon! | All but lost...
dori-san is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Clear Image Automotive guys said they would be doing one after their under the hood turbo project.

I have no idea what the status is but I'm very interested in a rear-mounted Turbo.

As I remember, OldSoldier had a beta project going with some vendor (not sure who).
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori-san
But why bother? There's enough room to cram a V8 under the hood, so adding a turbo really isn't THAT space consuming...

It's not only a matter of space, it is also a matter of cost and performance as well as reverseability.

A rear mount system is like installing a cat-back in the fact that it can easily be removed and the car can be put back to stock with minimal labor.

Their are several problems with installing a turbo in the engine compartment:

1. A custom exhaust manifold needs to be fabricated which raises cost.
2. The motor and turbo will heatsoak each other which will require an intercooler to reduce intake temps.
3. It is a much harder install hanging over the fenders with the reverse lift hood.

Benefits of a rear mount system:

1. The turbo system replaces your stock exhaust system giving you basically a free cat-back system.
2. The air filter is relocated to the rear of the car which basically gives you a free cold-air kit. The filter used is a K & N high-flow cone filter.
3. The intake pipe that carries the forced air back to the front of the car acts as an intercooler.
4. Your average DIY can install this system at home.
5. Lower cost.
6. Easily removed if neccessary.

This is not an advertisement, this is a discussion to gage interest in a rear-mounted turbo system fro the Solstice/Sky. This kit doesn't currently exist.

STS has prototyped one for the HHR/Cobalt platform (2005 SEMA Show Vehicle) that uses the Ecotec 4.

Please, the STS have been proven over and over in other vehicles, so this isn't a discussion as to wether or not this concept works, this is a discussion to gage interest.

There aren't a whole lot of after-market options out there to substantially boost horsepower in the Solstice and this could be one of them.

Thank you, Ed

Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not going into all of the details but do NOT do any business with STS turbo. My useless $3500 universal turbo kit is now sitting in the garage. This is by far the worse company that I have ever delt with. They sold me a useless turbo kit unless I want to invest thousands of more dollars in order to get it to work with my Solstice. I'm now selling Sassy Sue on Ebay and ordering a GXP. The concept of a rear mounted turbo is a great one and I understand they actully have less lag than the under the hood ones but the Company owners are the problem including the fact that they will not accept their unopened kit back. "We accept no returns!" NEVER NEVER do business with these people....Boy do I feel better now that I got that off of my chest!
Sassy Sue II is a fully loaded COOL GXP. She's not only one fast girl, but she's pretty darn sexy with her vented fenders and toting her Lil' chromies, up shield, and belt extenders. She carries her Kappabrella behind her driver's seat for those times when she's a little shy!
Old Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

A guy i know at the track has a kit on his GTO and loves it but again that is a different car all together but as for the STS Turbo i have seen great numbers on the dyno and track?

seemed like a good company to me?
SpeedMafia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier
I'm not going into all of the details but do NOT do any business with STS turbo. My useless $3500 universal turbo kit is now sitting in the garage. This is by far the worse company that I have ever delt with. They sold me a useless turbo kit unless I want to invest thousands of more dollars in order to get it to work with my Solstice. I'm now selling Sassy Sue on Ebay and ordering a GXP. The concept of a rear mounted turbo is a great one and I understand they actully have less lag than the under the hood ones but the Company owners are the problem including the fact that they will not accept their unopened kit back. "We accept no returns!" NEVER NEVER do business with these people....Boy do I feel better now that I got that off of my chest!

What all is the problem with the STS turbo you got? What else would you need to make the kit work?
chefmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

In three months i should have my money for a turbo.So far im going with Hahns.But wating to see what Mallett is doing .I sent your company an e-mail about 4 months ago about your turbo's.I would love to see what your company comes up with
KLECKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'd like to see some dyno sheets of a rear mounted turbo on a 4 cylinder, lag will definetly be an issue since exhaust gasses have cooled down by the time they get to the turbo. V8's dont have this problem since they're at least twice the size in volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgz06
5. Lower cost.
4000 bucks is not my idea of lower cost. The hahn turbo kit costs 4k and it includes a header/intercooler/ecm retune and other stuff. The amount of parts in the sts kit doesnt justify spending 4k for it.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby
I'd like to see some dyno sheets of a rear mounted turbo on a 4 cylinder, lag will definetly be an issue since exhaust gasses have cooled down by the time they get to the turbo. V8's dont have this problem since they're at least twice the size in volume.

4000 bucks is not my idea of lower cost. The hahn turbo kit costs 4k and it includes a header/intercooler/ecm retune and other stuff. The amount of parts in the sts kit doesnt justify spending 4k for it.

Many people have expressed opinions about lag. Many of these opinions are from people who don't have any experience with rear-mount systems.

For one, heat doesn't drive the turbine, exhaust flow does. The exhaust flow at the tailpipe is the same as the exhaust flow at the manifold. Heat will cause air to expand which can aid in the exhaust flow, but that is not what drives the turbo.

V-8s are twice the size, and they also require turbos that are twice the size so your statement isn't accurate about v-8s.

The intake pipe is pressurized almost immediately, once pressurized (assuming there are no leaks) the pipe will stay pressurized.

It doesn't take any longer for your rear brakes to pressurize than it does for you front brakes, although your rear brakes are at the back of the car and your front brakes are at, well, they're at the front.

Nobody mentioned price, where did you get $4000 from? Does Hahn have a kit available for the Solstice for $4000?? I don't see that on there website.

In the end there will always be different choices, you could choose the Hahn and someone else could choose the STS or a supercharger, or nitrous, or etc., etc., etc.,

Wouldn't you want to have choices?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

The items needed to complete my kit are about 10 feet of tubing, tubbing sealer, intercooler, injectors. In all about $2000 more not counting the $850 install fee plus retuning ECM at between $300 and $500 dollars more. I was under the impression that the universal kit included these items and was not informed otherwise until the local STS installion guy here in Vegas called me asking where the rest of my kit was.
Old Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.