Surprised by GXP Exhaust on 2.4L - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Member
 
Ronzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaeton View Post
I have Nissan Z drivers scared to even challenge my Soltice 2.4 with the Magnaflow duels and Gxp rear facia. The sound alone makes them nervous to pass me.
Fhaeton,

I'm thinking about installing Magnaflow duals on my 2.4. I'm assuming that it bolts right up. Anything I need to know before installing ? I'm really anxious for the "new" sound.

Thanks.......

Ron

2009 Wicked GXP

09/04/08 - Bought 2009 "Wicked" GXP
09/04/08 - Traded 2008 "Sly" 2.4 NA
09/04/07 - Bought 2008 "Sly" 2.4 NA

NASSOA Founding Member
MASC/MASSC Member

"Life's too short to be serious"
Ronzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Member
 
idkfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 2,683
the 'sound' of the dual magnaflow is actually incredible from all of the videos i've seen. I don't know about any drone though.

OP - all we heard from the beginning was that with the loss of back pressure due to the more free-flowing exhaust low-end power actually decreased.

have you noticed that?
idkfa is offline  
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Stealthy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 53
To be honest, i didnt really have any high rpm passes on the stock exhaust and i never really even put the hammer down on the car.

Just from taking it easy though around town - I think it may have lost a little on the bottom end and maybe gained a tad at the top...pretty much no difference except for look and sound.

2008 Base 2.4L Manual
Sly Exterior, Black Top, Two Tone Interior
Preferred, Premium, Convenience Packages
Monsoon, Floor Mats, A/C
GXP Dual Exhaust/Fascia

Future:
Sport Metallic Pedals, Spoiler
Stealthy4 is offline  
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Sky Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy4 View Post
You would think. The pipe diameter looks to be the same however i didnt measure it, i just eyeballed it.

I didnt measure the muffler sizes either however they look pretty close too and the hangers on the muffler line right up with where the stock hangers lined up (the rubber bushing didnt change positions)...

Anyway, there must be something different about it because it sounds like it flows much better (it just sounds smoother at idle...the stocker you could almost see each cylinder fire as the exhaust puffed)
I did this mod on my Sky. The Redline Turbo muffler is larger and has more volume. I believe it flows more. It is louder. It makes sense because the system was designed for the extra backpressure and silencing of the turbo.

2.4L SKY
Redline Dual Exhaust
DDM Stage II Intercooled SuperCharged
Vin #401, delivered 4/06
Silver Pearl with Leather interior
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
Clear Bra
Monsoon 6CD
Heated Seats
Extra Trunk Space!
Stubby
Sky Hi is offline  
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
will the sky redline exhaust system bolt up to the solstice base?
oldone is offline  
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Member
 
BANDITCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammond, LA USA!
Posts: 787
I just put a GXP exhaust on my 2.4 and I love the way it sounds and feels (rumbly). I've told everyone that I can hear my exhaust in Stereo instead of Mono now. haha

Install was easy, did it with the front wheels on ramps and the passenger side jacked up on the rear puck.

Show Car: 2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #619 "Falcon"
Fun Car and Daily Driver: 2009 N/A Aggressive Solstice! "Chief"
(ordered 6/28/08 - Built 7/23/08 - Delivered 9/12/08)
BANDITCAR is offline  
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Member
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,721
I've owned a 2.4 before buying my recent turbo 2.0 and I had the Magna Flow dual exhaust installed on my base model with the RK Sport dual rear carbon fiber fascia. It sounded great. With my new 2.0 and stock turbo exhaust, the sound is anything but impressive. It was very quiet on the 2.0ltr. I'm surprised it is loud at all on the 2.4 considering that only the right side of the dual exhaust 2.0 actually works. The left side is totally dead. In the winter no steam even comes out on that side. So the dual is really not a TRUE dual exhaust. It's just for show and only performs as a single exhaust. I can't wait to buy an aftermarket TRUE dual exhaust for my 2.0 and sell this stock one. I'll be sure to let everyone know when I'm ready to sell it.

The Magna flow has a larger diameter pipe, so I would expect it to be louder than the stock dual 2.0 GXP exhaust. I think it was only .25" larger.

Red Devil 07' Solstice - Sport Package ( traded in 2012' )
Black Widow 08' Solstice - GXP
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Car_Colage.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-22-2013 at 10:45 PM.
RedDevil is offline  
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Member
 
Falcon Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 595
Falcon Wing is offline  
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Member
 
ChopTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hooterville, MI
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I've owned a 2.4 before buying my recent turbo 2.0 and I had the Magna Flow dual exhaust installed on my base model with the RK Sport dual rear carbon fiber fascia. It sounded great. With my new 2.0 and stock turbo exhaust, the sound is anything but impressive. It was very quiet on the 2.0ltr. I'm surprised it is loud at all on the 2.4 considering that only the right side of the dual exhaust 2.0 actually works. The left side is totally dead. In the winter no steam even comes out on that side. So the dual is really not a TRUE dual exhaust. It's just for show and only performs as a single exhaust. I can't wait to buy an aftermarket TRUE dual exhaust for my 2.0 and sell this stock one. I'll be sure to let everyone know when I'm ready to sell it.

The Magna flow has a larger diameter pipe, so I would expect it to be louder than the stock dual 2.0 GXP exhaust. I think it was only .25" larger.
First I've heard 2.0 GXP dual exhaust is for show only?

.
.
.
.
.
Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
ChopTop is online now  
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Member
 
BANDITCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammond, LA USA!
Posts: 787
Yeah, I made sure that I had exhaust exiting both sides after I installed it and it was. Pressure seemed about even, as well.

Show Car: 2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #619 "Falcon"
Fun Car and Daily Driver: 2009 N/A Aggressive Solstice! "Chief"
(ordered 6/28/08 - Built 7/23/08 - Delivered 9/12/08)
BANDITCAR is offline  
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Moderator
 
rob the elder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Posts: 11,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
First I've heard 2.0 GXP dual exhaust is for show only?
On both our 2.0 cars both sides function equally well.

I put magnaflo on my car and it was a bit better. When I put the Solo HF cat it was a lot better. Frankly I like the sound of the wife's RL with the Solo quiet exhaust better than mine with the high flow cat and magnaflo.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

rob the elder is offline  
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Member
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
On both our 2.0 cars both sides function equally well.

Not really. The 2.4ltr is a slightly larger engine so it does show steam exiting both sides during cold winter weather. I good indicator on how well it truly functions. Just a little bit more on the right side. This is normal. Just look at the muffler part. You will see that it has 2 exits, one for each side, but only one entrance on the right side, which is why the steam in the winter months comes out more on that side. It takes longer for it to travel through the exhaust pipes to exit the left side because it has more distance to cover. A TRUE dual exhaust has 2 entrances on the muffler, one for each side. Like the ones sold at SOLO. That's why I say it's really more for show, not much performance over the single exhaust.

Red Devil 07' Solstice - Sport Package ( traded in 2012' )
Black Widow 08' Solstice - GXP
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Car_Colage.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline  
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Member
 
ChopTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hooterville, MI
Posts: 3,568
Got it, makes sense. I was understanding/reading it as if GM had the passenger exhaust exit tube tacked or welded on one end of the muffler with no exhaust muffler opening.

.
.
.
.
.
Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
ChopTop is online now  
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Member
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Erie, Colorado
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Not really. The 2.4ltr is a slightly larger engine so it does show steam exiting both sides during cold winter weather. I good indicator on how well it truly functions. Just a little bit more on the right side. This is normal. Just look at the muffler part. You will see that it has 2 exits, one for each side, but only one entrance on the right side, which is why the steam in the winter months comes out more on that side. It takes longer for it to travel through the exhaust pipes to exit the left side because it has more distance to cover. A TRUE dual exhaust has 2 entrances on the muffler, one for each side. Like the ones sold at SOLO. That's why I say it's really more for show, not much performance over the single exhaust.
A true dual exhaust would have dual pipes, one coming off each exhaust manifold up front, and traveling with both pipes all the way to the rear (or sides pipes on the old vette).

Doesn't really matter in this case, I think there are plenty of opinions on here that the stock GXP exhaust actually flows darn well, and is well matched to a stock or mildly modified car unless it is sound you are after. The single pipe is nicely sized, darn straight thanks to the tunnel design, until you get to the muffler. It has 2 exhaust routes out when you really start to get into it. Idling/low speed you might notice steam from just one side on a cold morning, I've noticed this with ours.

'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 6249 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 20yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline  
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Member
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
A true dual exhaust would have dual pipes, one coming off each exhaust manifold up front, and traveling with both pipes all the way to the rear (or sides pipes on the old vette).

Doesn't really matter in this case, I think there are plenty of opinions on here that the stock GXP exhaust actually flows darn well, and is well matched to a stock or mildly modified car unless it is sound you are after. The single pipe is nicely sized, darn straight thanks to the tunnel design, until you get to the muffler. It has 2 exhaust routes out when you really start to get into it. Idling/low speed you might notice steam from just one side on a cold morning, I've noticed this with ours.
You basically just said the same thing I said in a different way. The sound however still sucks on the 2.0ltr. Needs more growl. Probably why it sounds louder on the 2.4ltr.

Red Devil 07' Solstice - Sport Package ( traded in 2012' )
Black Widow 08' Solstice - GXP
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Car_Colage.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome