Surprised by GXP Exhaust on 2.4L - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.4 l Ecotec
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
You basically just said the same thing I said in a different way. The sound however still sucks on the 2.0ltr. Needs more growl. Probably why it sounds louder on the 2.4ltr.
Not exactly. Excuse my pickiness, but you merely stated a true dual exhaust would have 2 entrances on the muffler, which could very well mean single exhaust from motor that splits to 2 at the muffler, not a dual exhaust IMO. I wouldn't mind a more sinister sound, but then again I can't help but remember the sewing machine under the hood. I like it stealth, I don't want to advertise, I just like to win......I have a Hahn IC sitting in the garage now, can't wait to stick that in there since it's really kinda hard to see that mod.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5901 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #32 (permalink)

The muffler from the 2.0 is smaller than that from the 2.4, since the turbocharger acts as a muffler. Lack of the turbo on the 2.4 means that the exhaust note is louder with the 2.0 exhaust.

Purely measuring by feel - with my hand in front of the outlets - the 2.0 muffler flows fairly equally from both. One reason for the lack of vapor from the left outlet may be the design of the outlet pipe, as the left side has a longer outlet after it leaves the muffler body. The cooler pipe would condense more of the liquid before it reaches the air, so less vapor.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #33 (permalink)

You don't WANT true dual exhaust on any inline 4 cylinder engine. The pipes all join before the CAT and after that any splitting you do is for appearance, not for power.

All this dual exhaust nonsense is window dressing - a single suitably sized pipe will give as much power as any number of added pipes will. Silly, IMO, to want to pretend you have a 6 or an 8 under the hood - kind of like wearing a codpiece stuffed full of socks or something.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #34 (permalink)

Re: Surprised by GXP Exhaust on 2.4L

Don't hold back!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

Well I can say that increasing airflow to the engine with a CAI and leaving on the stock 2.4 single exit system was detrimental to the performance of the engine. Adding the GXP exhaust seemingly corrected the constant issues I was having.(ie. RPM drops below idle, backfire, irratic acceleration)
For my case, the dual exit exhaust is quite practical and not silly in the least. I finally have the new car responsiveness back that I remember and with a little added sound.
Show Car: 2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #619 "Falcon"
Fun Car and Daily Driver: 2009 N/A Aggressive Solstice! "Chief"
(ordered 6/28/08 - Built 7/23/08 - Delivered 9/12/08)
BANDITCAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #36 (permalink)

Is the new LTI, C7 quad exhaust receiving the same scrutiny.

http://emwgradstudent.files.wordpres...e-stingray.jpg

Last edited by ChopTop; 01-31-2013 at 08:32 AM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #37 (permalink)

I put the RL exhaust on my car because I wanted a little bit more exhaust note and because I thought the car looked unbalanced with the single outlet. Something about the outline of an exhaust outlet on the other side of the car just looked "wrong".

I did not expect, and did not achieve, any additional performance.

I know that I prefer the look of twin exhaust outlets because I grew up in the era of V-8 muscle cars, when the dual exhaust became one of the features of a performance car. Is it useless ? Perhaps. But it is the look and sound that I like, and it was free.

I think it is a pretty arrogant reach for anyone to assume anyone else's motivations for doing something. Now, if I had put a V-8 logo on the rear fascia instead of the 2.4 ..........
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
I put the RL exhaust on my car because I wanted a little bit more exhaust note and because I thought the car looked unbalanced with the single outlet. Something about the outline of an exhaust outlet on the other side of the car just looked "wrong".

I did not expect, and did not achieve, any additional performance.

I know that I prefer the look of twin exhaust outlets because I grew up in the era of V-8 muscle cars, when the dual exhaust became one of the features of a performance car. Is it useless ? Perhaps. But it is the look and sound that I like, and it was free.

I think it is a pretty arrogant reach for anyone to assume anyone else's motivations for doing something. Now, if I had put a V-8 logo on the rear fascia instead of the 2.4 ..........
I don't think anyone was going there John? No one was posting up the "big gains" they got from the dual exhaust tips, and I think most agree the car looks better with dual tips, so most people were just posting on the desire for looks as the reasoning they did it.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
You don't WANT true dual exhaust on any inline 4 cylinder engine. The pipes all join before the CAT and after that any splitting you do is for appearance, not for power.

All this dual exhaust nonsense is window dressing - a single suitably sized pipe will give as much power as any number of added pipes will. Silly, IMO, to want to pretend you have a 6 or an 8 under the hood - kind of like wearing a codpiece stuffed full of socks or something.
I agree. I can't help questioning the need for a dual exhaust on a 2 liter (or even a 2.4) 4 cylinder engine.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2
Rusty Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
I agree. I can't help questioning the need for a dual exhaust on a 2 liter (or even a 2.4) 4 cylinder engine.
guys, this is getting way off track. This started by me correcting redevil on what a "true dual exhaust" is. I don't think he ever was actually talking about dual pipes from the exhaust manifold all the way back. His interpretation was merely dual inlet into a muffler and dual out. I think everyone is aware it wouldn't make much sense having a true dual exhaust.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #41 (permalink)

The best reason for having dual exhaust: Being able to list "Twice Pipes" in your mods.
kd4pbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Shadofax : I don't think anyone was going there John? No one was posting up the "big gains" they got from the dual exhaust tips, and I think most agree the car looks better with dual tips, so most people were just posting on the desire for looks as the reasoning they did it.
Really ? What does this say ?
Quote:
wspohn : All this dual exhaust nonsense is window dressing - ........ Silly, IMO, to want to pretend you have a 6 or an 8 under the hood - kind of like wearing a codpiece stuffed full of socks or something.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #43 (permalink)

I took that to mean he was responding to this nonsense about true dual exhaust. Would be a waste to put a true dual system in probably any 4 banger. Course no one was suggesting this in the first place, it was just a misunderstanding on what a true dual exhaust really consists of.

So hopefully we can get back to the thread and people with 2.4 putting on the GXP muffler with dual tips.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam

Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #44 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with putting any number of unnecessary (in regard to performance) pipes on any car, if that is your preference. Heck, the manufacturers have been using nonfunctional scoops and aero elements for decades as a come on to buyers.

I just wanted to clarify that there was no performance related reason for it and then added my own feeling on the aesthetics, but I didn't expect anyone to agree with that last and wasn't looking to start an argument. Choices on that sort of thing are personal.

Latest superfluous styling driven exhaust tips now in the news:

The one that always gives me pause because it just looks unnatural to me is this one:

1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #45 (permalink)
Founding Member

The C7 has E-controls that take it from 2 to 4 outlets. The 3 holer has a siamese splice in the middle tube. And I agree it is 'different', but nicely built.

If heat wasn't such a problem , through the tunnel sure would make our under-car airflow more efficient.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.