Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Build pics

30K views 129 replies 26 participants last post by  sjw 
#1 ·
Im terrible at posting progress pics but the last couple I received from Werks have me excited. We are closing in on the completion of a list of major mods. Here is a bit of what is happening.

Custom intake box and intake for the supercharger.

More custom hood work from Norm to clear the SC.

Custom rear diff back from powder coating.

See less See more
#35 ·
One of the memory chips in the ECU decided to take a dump. Glad it happened in the shop and not at home. New ECU from Ken Kelly arrived a couple days ago. Took Dave two full days to transfer the info from the old to the new. He should have the car on the road this weekend putting some miles on it and fine tuning it before hitting the dyno for some full power pulls.

Also, due to Daves Jedi mind powers, decided to add a set of Recaros. Pics to follow.

#37 ·
Looking sweet!!! Glad you finally got it on the road!

Reactions: sjw
#38 ·
Awesome machine !

#40 ·
When the paddle shifters were first being put in the KAPPAs, people were complaining the shifts were delayed or soft, did Dave solve that problem? What brand of paddles did he use? Are you going to start out doing 1/8 mile for shake down? Short wheelbase cars can be a handful on the 1/4 mile top end with that much power! Beautiful car BTW :thumbs:

#41 ·
The paddle shifters are a stock GM unit. The 6L90 trans is programmable so I assume Dave can adjust how it shifts. I havent seen any complaints about shifting from CTSV owners who drag race with the 6L90. From what Ive read its very reliable in stock form in cars heavier than mine with equal, or more, HP.

I was hoping to hit the Route 66 Drag Strip near Daves shop, before they shut down for the end of the year, prior to bringing it home. It is a 1/4 mile track. We do have an 1/8 mile track 20 minutes from were we live so I may end up shaking it down there instead as we are quickly approaching the end of racing season. Its been over a year since Ive been behind the wheel of it and it will now be the most powerful car Ive owned to date. So, quarter or eighth, it will be baby steps before running it all out.

#42 ·
One of the most interesting Kappa builds out there, short of GM Tech's LSA Sky. Props to you for putting a proper rear end in and intending to use the car to it's fullest capability. I think this is some of Werks best work too. When Dave is allowed the time and afforded the budget, he really does have an eye for great attention to detail. Hope it can hit the track before the end of the season!

Reactions: RobertAshby
#46 ·
I have it insured through State Farm. They said that they will cover the value of the car plus mods as long as I have receipts. That is only for normal circumstances. I put it into the wall on a track and that will be on me. I am willing to assume that risk. There might be specific race car insurance but I have not seen it.

#47 ·
On a test and tune night at a strip, you could find it hard to get a second run if you dip into the 11s (under7.68 in the 1/8th) or better on that first run. The rear support braces need to be attached within 5" of the top of the roll bar. My rear braces attach on the back of the top of the roll bar hoop (Chassisworks bar) in my Camaro. Wall thickness of bar, upper and lower mounting plates sizes and thickness, MIG or TIG on various bar materials, front support brace location to driver, helmet to top of bar distance... all come into play. Being a vert, you might have to cage that beast!

#51 ·
First pics of what Dave has been working on to solve the hood issue. I admit, I was getting pretty frustrated with this part of the build but Dave came through again. Its pretty close to being finished. He will be sanding down the edges to be flush with the hood and we still havent decided on the color. He is going to paint it black to see how that looks and then he is going to try body color.

#53 ·
Looking good! :)

#57 ·
The aluminum trim piece for the hood is pretty much done. Dont mind the gaps, it isnt tightened down. Dave is nearly finished with the drivability tuning (he has 30+ hours working on that alone) so it should be hitting the dyno soon.

#58 ·
Any chance youll test the rear end ànd post results or is that next summer ? I'm interested in a Ford 9.…( I test a lot, lol)

#59 ·
Absolutely. Car will be going straight to the strip come spring. Dave has made a couple of mild test hits in it and it goes straight as an arrow. So far, so good.

There isnt much left to do. There is one more issue to be ironed out with the tuning of the new transmission and then its on to final dyno tuning. Dave is working on a dual cooling fan set up, the installation of a Gurney flap and possibly some shifter modifications. Thats it. Its really, really close to sticking a fork in it and calling it done.

Here is a pic of it at ride height with the new wheel and tires.

#60 · (Edited)
So no chance of Ford 9 in becoming available for another year it sounds like. Good to know you'll have it out next year and on the road. Thank You for reply !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.