Have any exotic engine swaps been done? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Have any exotic engine swaps been done?

Have any exotic engine swaps been done? I mean something besides Chevy V8 swaps? Maybe even something European?

I mean completed projects rather than just ideas or working in progress.

It would be interesting to know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Only swaps I can think of is a 2JZ swap, and a Cadillac V8, otherwise it's LS engines

There are few YT vids from this person

Saturn Sky w/CTS-V LSA V8

Saturn Sky LS7 TT (skyroadsterforum)

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 04-12-2017 at 07:46 AM.
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Johns car doesn't have a Northstar engine in it. The engine in his car is called the LSA. It is similar to the LS3 with an added supercharger.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 speed
Fujita intake and charge tubes / Gutted cat / 3 bar MAPS / Tuned with HP Tuners / Centric premium rotors / Stoptech Street Performance pads / DDM SS brake lines / ATE Type 200 fluid

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:19 AM

pantherqs swapped in a big-ass-turbo'd Toyota 2JZ inline 6 into his car. Doesn't get more 'exotic' than that!

Full thread and photos: 2JZ Solstice Swap

UPDATE: Apparently most all the photos have gone, sorry. But he DID do it. Here's one video still around:

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 04-06-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 AM

They're still there....that I know of, there's only one shop that has done it and they're in Ontario....

Then of course their is our very own Tony from ASAP Graphics :

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
Johns car doesn't have a Northstar engine in it. The engine in his car is called the LSA. It is similar to the LS3 with an added supercharger.
I could have sworn someone installed a Cadillac engine into their Sky. I thought his name was GMTech1640. He left the forum because he got tired of the BS.

OK figured it out, the engine came out of a Cadillac CTS-V, 6.2 Supercharged, but it's still considered a GM LS engine.

From one of his vids.
"Finally bent the stock rods on the turbo 4 LNF so I decided to rebuild the entire car with a CTS-V 6.2L Supercharged LSA."

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 04-06-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 PM

Garage
That is the engine put in the Mallett without supercharger. Crate engines were called Corvette engines, but all pulleys brackets, AC, power steering were from the Cadilac CTS-V 6.2 LS2 engine. Figured it out the first week we had the car.
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The 2JZ swap is definitely interesting.

The Northstar I would put together with all the LS swaps. It is still a big V8.

I was more wondering if anything more exotic had been done. Such as maybe a rotary engine, or something like an Alfa Romeo, BMW or Mercedes engine etc. Something special and not usual, as all the swaps I have seen are some form of V8.
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Mine is also a V8 but an old school 383 stroker
post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodV View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The 2JZ swap is definitely interesting.

The Northstar I would put together with all the LS swaps. It is still a big V8.

I was more wondering if anything more exotic had been done. Such as maybe a rotary engine, or something like an Alfa Romeo, BMW or Mercedes engine etc. Something special and not usual, as all the swaps I have seen are some form of V8.
As far as I know there are no other engine transplants, other than the ones mentioned. I'm thinking it may be another 10 to 15 years before we start seeing why-be-normal engine conversions. http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-a...you-1673733706

According to this video a Scion FR-S/Toyota 86, w/a Ferrari V12 engine (6,000 miles) costs $42,000. So the entire build is probably $100,000, give or take.

Last edited by ChopTop; 04-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
post #11 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

OK. I thought American V8s were the normal. I was just wondering if anything else had been done.

And in terms of V8 swaps, has anybody swapped in the whole Corvette drivetrain? Meaning also the rear mounted gearbox etc?

By the way, how is the chassis? Does it really ask for a more powerful engine? If you would choose a weakness with the cars, would it be the chassis, drivetrain or suspension?

And looking at the Kappa chassis it looks quite similar to a Corvette chassis. Like a shorter version of the Corvette chassis. I think the Corvette started with this type of chassis after the Kappa?

But I would think most would say the Corvette chassis is better, even if just because it's a Corvette. But is it really? If so, what makes it better than the Kappa? I know the Corvette's is aluminum. But I mean in terms of performance and design apart from being lighter.

These are all interesting topics to talk about.
post #12 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 AM

The greatest negative of the Kappa chassis is weight. As you said, it is the same hydro-formed design as the Corvette, but executed in steel instead of aluminum. It is quite stiff, and the addition of a couple of readily available braces makes it stiff enough to easily lift a wheel.

More power is a difficult question. Some are never satisfied with any amount, and others aren't that obsessed about it. I have a 2.4 and a 2.0 and enjoy them equally, while a lot of people turn their noses up at the 2.4 as too underpowered to even consider. The 2.4 has a brace that the 2.0 doesn't (yet) and I think it handles better, even though the 2.0 has the "better" springs dampers and anti-roll bars.

Many drivers dislike the transmission. It is out of a truck, and not refined, but I am more tolerant than most, apparently, and don't mind it. Or maybe I'm just not as good a driver.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #13 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
And in terms of V8 swaps, has anybody swapped in the whole Corvette drivetrain? Meaning also the rear mounted gearbox etc?
As far as I know it has never been done. The modern V8 swaps typically use a front mounting T56 or T56 Magnum(TR6060). Some of the DIY builds and I believe some(if not all) of the Mallet cars reused the stock Aisin AR5. I highly doubt there is enough room in the rear so cutting the tunnel would be required I'm sure. Picture in link.

http://www.performanceautowerks.com/...04496LoRes.jpg

Quote:
By the way, how is the chassis? Does it really ask for a more powerful engine? If you would choose a weakness with the cars, would it be the chassis, drivetrain or suspension?
In my opinion a GXP/Redline with a catless downpipe and a retune of the ECU offers enough power. That will get you to about as fast as a C6 LS2 vette but the power delivery is alot different in a turbo 4 than a V8. Me and most of the owners here would say that there really ins't a major performance issue with the car. It needs the slight bump in power that the aftermarket provides and some frame bracing with stiffer springs and shocks but just about any factory car needs those things. The chassis is a good design.

Quote:
And looking at the Kappa chassis it looks quite similar to a Corvette chassis. Like a shorter version of the Corvette chassis. I think the Corvette started with this type of chassis after the Kappa?

But I would think most would say the Corvette chassis is better, even if just because it's a Corvette. But is it really? If so, what makes it better than the Kappa? I know the Corvette's is aluminum. But I mean in terms of performance and design apart from being lighter.
If you look a pictures of the Corvette frames you can tell the chassis design was already being used before the Kappa cars were even being thought about. The Kappa chassis looks like it was designed like the Corvette not the other way around.

C5 (1997)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.cor...re_4-42064.jpg
C6 (2005)
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...-1600x1200.jpg
Kappa (2006)
http://www.loutrefranc.com/pix/2005/...olstice023.jpg

The Corvette and the Kappa are similar both having a hydroformed frame and SLA double wishbone font and rear but to me you can't really compare the two. The Kappa was designed to be a lightweight FR roadster. It has a short wheel base, excellent handling, and enough power to get you by. The Corvette is a Grand Touring car. It is a little heavier, has a longer wheel base, and more power but still good handling.

The C5 and the C6 base and grand sport (LS2 and LS3) frame is made of steel. The C6 Z06 and ZR1 (LS7 and LS9) are aluminum but can only be had in a fixed roof to make up for the loss in stiffness. The C7(2014) does have an aluminum chassis but it was made 5 years after the Kappa stopped production so it is to new to be comparable.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 speed
Fujita intake and charge tubes / Gutted cat / 3 bar MAPS / Tuned with HP Tuners / Centric premium rotors / Stoptech Street Performance pads / DDM SS brake lines / ATE Type 200 fluid
post #14 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:33 AM

Garage
The Kappas have an excellent engine (LNF) with capabilities far beyond stock given suitable build rules, say 450+ on stock bottom end and 500+ with suitable strengthening mods.

That doesn't leave too much need for engine swaps to get more performance, which is the driving force behind traditional engine swapping. The Kappas get swapped for maybe 3 main reasons.

1 - people that just love V8s and have to have one (some have even said they still want a V8 even if it produces less power than the 4 cylinder)

2 - people that want huge power beyond the easy capability of the LNF - supercharged LS engine etc.

3 - people that just like doing something to be different - the outstanding JZ1 Toyota swap falls into this and the previous category

Given the above, there isn't nearly the inclination to engine swapping there is with cars that are less well endowed in stock form.

Comment to John - all cars are heavier than they were a few decades ago, although the Kappa certainly could have saved a couple of hundred pounds at a price - Miatas save around 300 lbs. over the Kappas. American manufacturers have always avoided weight saving except in some cases (e.g. Corvette). They opted in the past to not shave weight even though it would pay back the minor price increase in a couple of years of gas saving. That's changing now and they are doing a better job with new techniques, a change that was long past due.

And on the Aisin trans, I find it to be one of the less slick ones to use in my experience but far from the worst. I guess it galls me a little because I like so many other things about the Solstice that I would have preferred it to have had a really nice transmission as well, but it really doesn't bother me much.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Mods at http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #15 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:38 PM

I just posted this in another thread, but decided to post it here too. As wspohn says, the 2.0 has a lot of potential as long as you know what you are doing. See video below.

The conversion I've sometimes wondered about, even though it's not exotic, would be the GM's 3.6L V6TT. Or you could go w/a , foreign brand; Alfa Romeo 'Busso' V6, BMW S54B32, BMW N54, Jaguar AJ126, Ford Barra inline-six, Nissan VR38DETT, TVR Speed Six. Though I'd think you'd have to have a master's degree in mechanical engineering to install and get any one of them to work.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...ording-to-you/

Published on Apr 27, 2014, 2008 Solstice GXP - 463WHP, 443TQ - 4/27/14

Ryan's 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP, EFR6758 Turbo, HAHN FMIC, DDM Charge Pipes, Punched Cat, Solo Performance cat back, LE5 throttle body, AEM Methanol Injection, 100 Octane

Last edited by ChopTop; 04-16-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode