LS1 Swap DIY - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine/Transmission Major, including Transplants
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

company called Speartech can make you a custom integrated wiring harness....they've done them before for the LSx to Solstice swaps
SolGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jag767 Send a message via MSN to jag767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolGTP View Post
company called Speartech can make you a custom integrated wiring harness....they've done them before for the LSx to Solstice swaps
u wouldnt happen to have their contact info would you?
jag767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 12:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolGTP View Post
Thanks for the tip, SolGTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag767
u wouldnt happen to have their contact info would you?
Here's the link, jag: http://www.speartech.com/

Personally, I'm not afraid to do my own harness. I worked as an audio/alarm installer for a few years and I've even done some projects integrating into factory harnesses at the fuse panels, BCM and ECM connectors using Delphi-type connectors. I have all of the tools and knowhow.

However, if a Speartech harness will be truly "plug and play" and allow me to keep the gauges without going cross-eyed over wiring schematics, it might be worth the $1,700 and change. Even though I am waiting another two years to start, I'm all for getting it on the road sooner!
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelen84 View Post
The width is fine, but you do have to drill new holes. The ls1 mounts are symmetrical whereas the ecotec are not.
Drilling holes I can do easily! For me, the less welding, the better. I have two years to practice, I suppose. As of right now, I've only messed with welders on one occasion. My father has all of the equipment (MIG and ARC) and he had it for years. I have no excuse for not being a capable welder already.

Last edited by 2KWK4U; 06-30-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U View Post
Thanks for the tip, SolGTP.

Here's the link, jag: http://www.speartech.com/

Personally, I'm not afraid to do my own harness. I worked as an audio/alarm installer for a few years and I've even done some projects integrating into factory harnesses at the fuse panels, BCM and ECM connectors using Delphi-type connectors. I have all of the tools and knowhow.

However, if a Speartech harness will be truly "plug and play" and allow me to keep the gauges without going cross-eyed over wiring schematics, it might be worth the $1,700 and change. Even though I am waiting another two years to start, I'm all for getting it on the road sooner!

that looks very interesting, and would allow me to do this myself. well for anyone who is interested i priced out all the parts for this and with the ls2 and t56 trans is about 13,000 for everything and i mean everything. thats even putting cadillac cts-v rear gears into it. then when you sell your factory engine, at least for the gxp's your probably under 10k... not to shabby if you ask me
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag767 View Post
that looks very interesting, and would allow me to do this myself. well for anyone who is interested i priced out all the parts for this and with the ls2 and t56 trans is about 13,000 for everything and i mean everything. thats even putting cadillac cts-v rear gears into it. then when you sell your factory engine, at least for the gxp's your probably under 10k... not to shabby if you ask me
Or... use that GXP motor to build a kickass Ariel Atom and sell it for a hefty profit when you're all done. Then again, who could part with one of these babies once they were done building it? :

http://www.arielatom.com/
Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

I bought my LS1 w/ T56 complete (ecm, wiring, accesories, etc.) w/ 12k miles for $5,000. I also have a rear differential out of a cts-v as a backup in case the solstice one gives out. I paid $500 for that with 500 miles on it.

jag, what all did you include in the $13,000 estimate?

-Adam
thelen84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelen84 View Post
I bought my LS1 w/ T56 complete (ecm, wiring, accesories, etc.) w/ 12k miles for $5,000. I also have a rear differential out of a cts-v as a backup in case the solstice one gives out. I paid $500 for that with 500 miles on it.

jag, what all did you include in the $13,000 estimate?

-Adam
ls2, t56, all the peripherals for the engine, ac components, clutch components, rear gears from cts-v, ac components, driveshaft, wiring harness and ecu, i think thats it. the list for the components from hot rod magazine helped a little bit
Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

All, I'm going to be stalled for a few weeks as my real job is taking up most of my free time and I'm waiting for some custom parts to be machined. However, I'm still going to be working on the custom gauges and throttle-by-wire, so if my updates are unimpressive, that's why.

A few things to note regarding clearances:

1.) Whether you're using an LS1/2/6 you will want to use an oil pan from a C6 Corvette. Other pans will not work. C6 oil pans have a rear pickup tube and the pan is only 4 inches deep.

-GTO oil pans have a front pickup tube and the deepest part of the pan is 5.5-6 inches.
-Camaro/Trans am oil pans have a rear pickup tube but the pan is 5.25 inches deep.

In order for the motor to sit low enough and have the throttle body clear the hood, you need the C6 oil pan.

2.) Now that the oil pan allows you to drop the motor further down you also need different motor mount brackets. The stock LSx brackets do not allow the motor to sit low enough. I'm currently having some brackets CNC'd to lower the mounting position 1 inch. I'll post pics when they're done, but this could be a few weeks.

That's all I have for now, waiting for parts... and free time. Later.

-Adam

Last edited by thelen84; 07-01-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

2KWK4U,

Here are some pictures that might explain the motor mounts a bit better. The first picture just shows the two new holes (the ones that are symmetrical from side to side). In the second picture you can see the mount stands and the mounts. Had I known that I was going to be making custom motor mount stands I would've tried to use the original mount holes in the frame. -Adam

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...66_45_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...66_41_full.jpg
Old 07-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
MTS

Im pretty sure hotrod mag said they used a cadillac cts-v wiring harness as well.
2002 Trans-Am Firehawk - PT76-GTS, 230/230, 15psi. woooh!
2005 Legacy GT, T3/T04S 61-1 rotate, 22psi. woooh!
2007 Solstice GXP, EBC, Magnaflow. woo...limp. doh.
13.85@101 w/ 2.0 60' Damn it, I need a tune!
13.56@106 w/ a sideways 2.3 60' Better tires required.
MTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Founding Member

Thanks, Adam. I had seen those pictures on cardomain before, but now that I study them I can see what's going on. Could you please post pics of the corvette brackets next to your custom fabbed brackets when you get them?

Have you contacted Werks to see if their mounts are available yet and if they would be any cheaper than having your own CNC'd?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

No, I haven't contacted Werks. I have a buddy that does CNC work, so I really only need to pay for material. Hopefully they work out, if they don't I'll talk to Werks.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Founding Member

Adam,

Any progress lateley? Have you run into any roadblocks, or is it just that you're still in Ireland? How did those mounts come out? Are there any specs on them that you can share, or is your friend willing to make and sell a few more sets?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #30 (permalink)

I basically took 3 weeks off from working on the car due to my job. But, I took this whole week off and have been working on the car. Look for a big update on Monday as I put the motor in for the last time, mount the radiator (hopefully), finish 90% of the wiring and start reassembly of the front end. The gauges are in too and they look sweet. I'm going to start putting together a spreadsheet with all the parts/part numbers of everything I'm using, look for it on cardomain. Once I get a bit more time I'll start on the wiring diagram as well, the throttle-by-wire should work fine, but I'm still working on it. Anyways, look for the update Monday, that should answer your questions.

Thanks for keeping up,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.