Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Mallett owners or those with V8/AR5

11K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  ChopTop 
#1 ·
I would like some input from Mallett owners or those with a V8 and AR5 combination. I have a LS1/AR5 Solstice with the factory 3.91 rear end. First gear is useless. Can anyone with a different rear end gearing give me some feedback? I am considering 3.42 or 3.23 gears to make first gear useable. I appreciate your input.

#5 ·
Not sure what ratios in my CTS diff. The T56 is not much good in first, but workable. Find I can drive in 4th through town at about 40mph so, have considered a taller ratio diff.

On the other hand, I cruise at around 2000 rpm at 70 mph in 6th and need to downshift to 5th if the speed limit calls for 55mph

#7 ·
Although the relative span from 1st to 6th in the T56 is roughly the same as the relative span from 1st to 5th in the AR5, depending on which T56 you have the overall range of ratios is either a little or a lot taller.

Reactions: King-Oka
#8 ·
3.23 would be most beneficial.

Reactions: Red Thunder
#10 · (Edited)
I have 3.23 with LSD and it is great. All of my gears are usable and I am barely over 2000rpm at 80 mph. I am quite able to smoke the tires in first and second gear, if I had a reason. (which I don,t). Here is a video of Dave from DDM testing my car with 3.23 differential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvI32NgLZY

(copy and paste into browser)

#13 ·
Would be able to find the CTS/STS/etc rear end on Ebay for $300 or so.

#17 ·
I have never seen a failure in the actual differential mechanism, so to say the quaife is much stronger is a fallacy. It's probably more effective, depending on the intended use of the car, but it isn't necessarily stronger.

#19 ·
I have read of axle failures. And read of differential failures in non-modified cars. But its news to me to see your post Yogi.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

#22 ·
Looks Like I will also be looking for a 3.23 LSD Carrier soon, but I will have to see how I like the driving experience this spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.