Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Wade's Garage vs Mallett vs Autowerks

16K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  Yogi 
#1 ·
Can anyone advise me of the pros vs the cons for the conversion shops offering LS2 modification for a 2006 Solstice? Did I miss any? These were the only three facilities I could find. Wade's Garage vs Mallett vs Autowerks Thanks

#34 ·
I think you made the right choice of engine.

The 350 BHP LS1 isn't worth using - you can easily match that output with the 4 cylinder without stressing it.

The LS2 at 400 bhp/400 TQ is the start of where the LS series makes sense for swaps.

The LS3 is sort of like an 'LS7 Light' - pretty impressive as is.

#37 ·
John,
once again I find myself in agreement with you. I looked at the cost / performance data and there is clearly a break point between the Ls3 480 and the Ls7 - the latter is considerably more expensive for not a ton more output. and since my car was already at 350 with basically zero motor mods, just intake, tune and exhaust, it did not make sense to me to spend twenty grand to get a V8 at +50 HP when I could have gotten that by doing work on the existing 2.0 pretty easily.

Plus, there is always the varoom factor.:driving:

#35 ·
#36 ·
This is what Dave is putting in Punisher currently.

Basically my car is the test mule for what I think will be a new kit from DDM works. I have no insider information but when I began discussing this with Dave several months ago, he indicated that they were interested in developing an Ls3 swap kit - I would guess much like their supercharger kits - that would range from full up they do it for you to they mail you the parts and instructions and you do it yourself. They did the install first in Randy's car to figure it out, and are doing it in mine as the prototype to develop a set of standard procedures and parts.

Dave told me that the 480 HP rating is conservative and that he expects to be over 500 HP once he works his magic on their new dyno.

He also promised me pictues and hopefully some video of the install process along with testing once its done.

:thumbs:

#40 ·
Interesting.

Its difficult to compare data from different dyno's and even the same dyno under radically different conditions however I have seen curves from the same motor on a dyno in Grand Junction at well over 500 WHP.

Like a lot of engineering and manufacturing, I think that there is considerable variability among similar products.

I am looking forward to seeing what Dave ends up with once he does his tune to the car.

I also anticipate losses due to the altitude here but that is just physics.

Now with a turbo kit on the Ls3 . . . .:thumbs:

#45 ·
how does it feel power wise? gears feel just right or a little short wirh the power and TQ of the V-8

#46 ·
1st gear is way to low, so I never use It. Torque is high and smooth. I love never having to down shift to pass or climb steep grades.

#48 ·
The TR-6060 is actually the latest trans from GM for the current Vettes, here's a little wikipedia snippet.

You could probably just change the rear end ratio instead of swapping the trans.

"The new synchroniser package features triple synchromesh on first and second gears, and double synchromesh on all other gears, including reverse, which has significantly reduced gear shift efforts and shift travel.
The reduced shift travel provided by the synchroniser package has also allowed increased space for the use of larger gears, which are stronger to deliver improved torque capacity and gearbox durability.
A new single-piece counter shaft also contributes to the greater torque capacity and durability enhancements. ...

Other features of the new TR6060 transmission include:
-Reduced friction in the shifter system courtesy of a new cam and anti-friction plunger to control the side load shift detents.
-Forward and rearward shift detent grooves are broached on the front of the main-shaft with a spring-loaded anti-friction roller, for more precise control of shift detents and positive shift feel.
-Anti-friction ball struts, sintered hubs and fine-pitch splines on all synchronisers for reduced friction between components - delivering improved shift feel and reduced shift efforts.
-Wider, two piece gears with machined clutch teeth for more precise gear engagement and reduced potential for gear block-outs."

#52 · (Edited)
I don't know the cost implications, but I would be more inclined to invest in a rear end upgrade with a better gear ratio for the V8 application before the T56.

I really hope DDM doesn't come out with a DIY LS3 kit. I don't want to be sorry I bought the Challenger :lol:

#54 ·
LOL

Be sorry, be verry sorry

Punisher is the proof of concept for their kit. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

I heard a rumor . . . about a supercharged caddy crate motor at the nationals. But don't quote me.

Attachments

#53 ·
As it relates to Kappa production years, is there a specific year folks would look for? From the many differential issues that have been posted on 06s & 07s, it appears that 08s & 09s would be the cars to look for. I understand some of the companies replace the rear differential, but if I'm understanding what folks are saying that sometimes depends on what vendor & package you decide to go with.

#55 ·
Some of the 06s had differential issues. Some got replaced with new ones. There are several cases of chatter that were addressed in TSBs to refill with additives etc. At least 3 cars? had catastrophic lockup of the differentials that resulted in crashes which highly motivated GM to address the differential issues. Which I believe they have done.

the 07s had the new differential. The only issue with them that I am aware of was some vent lines were short and if they were fully filled when hot they could puke GO90 out the vent. They had a TSB that added a longer vent tube. There was a supplier problem with some of the seals that resulted in a recall for repair on them which once applied, as far as I know, made them bullet proof.

I think I read that the 09s had different software and could not accept the GMPP tune? Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

#58 ·
Wade Linger has already installed the supercharged CTS-V motor in a Solstice.

#65 ·
My Stage III supercharged SLY solstice is going under the knife of Dr. Dave in April for a LS3/480 conversion.

#67 · (Edited)
Well good. Then Punisher needs to be out of the shop to make room.

Actually he told me that the electrical is mostly done, the exhaust faber should be in next week and soon after? Will be engine start!

#68 ·
If you want the best differential, get the 2006/07 unit from the V. The 09 is different & wont fit. The early units are junk. I have plenty of pics of exploded get rag diffs if you want to see them. (sent them to Wade) The Kappa is a lot lighter than the V so the chance of popping them even with the LS motors is greatly reduced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.