Water pump! - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 02:07 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mayhem
I bought these parts on July 7, 2014. My total price on my invoice is what I paid. After re-doing the purchase of same items, it is now $103.42. So, sometime in last 2 months the price went up. My guess is they saw lots people buying it because the the factory ones are a POS and should be recalled. Don't know what to say, but even $103 is not bad for doing it yourself. Add another $22 or for the stat and $4 for the oring gasket(on the stat block) I did not have. Get the Instructions printed off here from DDM and you are good to go. I found the instructions about %95 complete. It just lacked all the tool sizes you will need. The MOST important was the special hose clamp pliers, they are a must. 2 months and no cooling problems with the bosh pump, I am happy to say. I have even stopped watching the temp sensor..lol

2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Bone stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 02:26 PM

Thanks, Mayhem.

The internal debate I'm having is whether I should just go ahead and buy the water pumps and other parts now in expectation of needing them later!

I was able to obtain some service records for my car from the original selling dealer, at which it was apparently serviced for the first 6+ years (and 70,000+ miles) of its existence. Those records show that the water pump was replaced at 36K and 66K, so with 95K on the car now, I'm thinking that another water pump failure in the near future sure looks like a distinct possibility.

Having the parts on hand would save time waiting for them to arrive if/when it happens.

On the other hand, it's a car I don't drive a lot and could let sit for weeks and not really be TOO inconvenienced.

Are there ANY easy, obvious answers in life anymore?

;-)
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Thanks, Mayhem.

Are there ANY easy, obvious answers in life anymore?

;-)
YES!! absolutely, a non-failing water pump would of been nice!

I'm wondering if the latest iteration of the 2.0L engine they are using/selling on their 2015 Buick Regal GS AWD has the same water pump as our cars. My understanding is that our water pumps can be used on both the 2.4L and the 2.0L engines...

I'm also hopeful that this Bosch pump is better than the OEM only time will tell...

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 09-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
I was able to obtain some service records for my car from the original selling dealer, at which it was apparently serviced for the first 6+ years (and 70,000+ miles) of its existence. Those records show that the water pump was replaced at 36K and 66K, so with 95K on the car now, I'm thinking that another water pump failure in the near future sure looks like a distinct possibility.
On your third water pump is definitely frustrating. People should note it's a base 2.4; there are a number of reports of 2.4's with the issue as well.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM

Garage
Sooo.........should we start survey here on how many 2.0 vs 2.4 with water pump issues or is it a waste of time?

'08 GXP stage II gmpp CAI
and a hoot to drive
VIN 8Y100002
1 of 2
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRESHREDDER View Post
Sooo.........should we start survey here on how many 2.0 vs 2.4 with water pump issues or is it a waste of time?
Unfortunately, even if the response is overwhelming with people who've had the water pump fail -- or do so more than once -- I don't see any value in knowing that.

If Pontiac was still around -- although it'd be nice if GM saw it as GM's problem, not just that of Pontiac -- maybe huge numbers of failures could be used as the basis for claims that coverage should extend beyond the warranty period.

Now if the same WP has a high failure rate in other GM cars, too, that may actually qualify as the basis for something akin to a class action suit.

But in my case, with a car with 95K miles on it, no one could reasonably argue that any WP should last that long -- even if some or many actually do.

Continuing my apparent choice to argue both sides of this issue <g>, the OTHER side of the argument that I'd make is that mine didn't fail at 95K (not that it HAS failed [yet?]), but rather that the original failed at around 35K and the replacement failed at around 30K.

What might bother me even more than failures at this rate is that EVERY Solstice problem I read about costs more to fix than the "normal" repair cost of the same problem on most other cars -- because (from what I've read) of poor design/how hard and time consuming it is to do the repairs.

For example, GM's instructions for replacing a battery call for the removal of not just a wheel (which in itself is bizarre) but also the FRONT FENDER!!!!

From everything I've read, everything you might do yourself on this car is a LOT of work -- and that also means that it costs a LOT to have done by someone else.

Those are the type of unexpected hidden expenses that that, when coupled with what appear to be a much higher than expected/normal (for most cars) number of things that seem to need repair sooner and more frequently than with many other cars, make someone like me -- i.e. someone who can't do nearly as many things as most of the more active membersof this forum appear to do to their cars -- wonder if I'm in for a lot more work and expenses than I'd have ever expected.

Especially after finding that some very expensive things have already been done, more than once, to my car -- suggesting that I can expect to have the replacement parts (or the replacements for the replacements) fail the way the originals did.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Garage
Just had to replace mine on the road in Watertown, NY, cost me $865 installed at the GM dealer there. I had no other options, the shop we were originally towed to did not have the special tool that was mentioned earlier. Oh well, s*** happens!

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 01:22 PM

"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!" An REO Speedwagon album title from 1978.

If you change the waterpump, remember to add a can of Prestone Water Pump lubricant to the coolant. The new pump seals will last much longer.

1954 MG Magnette ZA
1971 Triumph TR6 (Supercharged)
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Conv
2015 Ford F350 4X4
2014 Jaguar XF Sport
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2012 Fiat 500 Sport
1971 Corvette Conv.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 AM

When I had my water pump replaced at my "authorized Saturn service center", I got a lifetime warranty with it. Unfortunately, it only covers the part, and not the labor, which of course, is the most expensive part of the repair.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Whats up all, I got my GXP about 3 months ago and have driven about 1k miles without any issues. In the past two weeks I've noticed the fan stay on longer than usual after turning the car off (i found it strange but with the Florida heat, i decided to ignore it). Today i decided to drive it to work (19 miles) and noticed the coolant temp light went on. I didn't check the actual temp of the car (will do it during lunch today). It went on and off about 3 times. I finally got to work and saw that it was dripping/steaming from the drip hose on the resevour container (not sure what that is called. lol). It either dripped everything from the resovour or it was low becasue the resovour is pretty much empty now. I have not started looking into anything yet. Just walked into worked and started reading about what it could be. I already knew the waterpump issue with these cars before i purchased it so i was some what ready for the expense. Should I flat out go straight into thinking about changing the waterpump? or could it be something else? whats the best way to indicate the actual problem? thanks all
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 PM

There is no "drip hose" from the coolant reservoir, it's a sealed system. If anything is dripping in that area, you simply have a bad reservoir with a crack or other leak (may even be just a bad cap).

From the symptoms you've stated, probably NOT the water pump, you'll be happy to hear.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
There is no "drip hose" from the coolant reservoir, it's a sealed system. If anything is dripping in that area, you simply have a bad reservoir with a crack or other leak (may even be just a bad cap).

From the symptoms you've stated, probably NOT the water pump, you'll be happy to hear.

This picture is not from my car but it also has this hose here. This is what I'm talking about. When it got super hot it was overflowing and blowing steam/coolant through that onto the floor. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 11:04 PM

Water pump!

I also just noticed the heater does not blow hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Myllertime; 10-14-2016 at 11:17 PM.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:16 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
That is the overflow hose. As TS said its a sealed system but the radiator cap is spring loDed to allow excess pressure to escape. I would recommend you keep an eye on the temp so you don't damage the engine. Sounds like a classic water pump failure

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 09:33 AM

Well, sounds to me like it still could just be a cap failure. I would replace the cap first and see.

At this point though you definitely have air in the system and need a proper bleed - that's why you have no cabin heat.
rob the elder likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Orlando Sol Group? | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode