Who makes a better intercooler Hahn or Werks - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Northeast > MASC/MASSC
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Who makes a better intercooler Hahn or Werks

I'm looking at both Hahn and Werks intercoolers. Which one do you think is the better one?
warrenhotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 1KULSOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhotrod1 View Post
I'm looking at both Hahn and Werks intercoolers. Which one do you think is the better one?
you should also consider the DDMWORKS intercooler .. IMO

http://www.solstice-forum.com/forum/...c=8839.new#new
1KULSOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

DDM hands down
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have personally owned both the Hahn and DDMWorks intercoolers. Both are tip top quality. I personally never had any fitment issues with both. The Hahn(4") in regards to size is .5 bigger than the DDMWorks(3.5") and has nicely curved endtanks for better flow. The DDMWorks though offers a really COOL(hehe) feature......Extruded core. They have a better description on their website but instead of having traditional bars going across like most intercoolers(like the hahn) you have rounded tubes/pipes. The efficiency of removing heat is therefore increased as you have more surface area exposed to the incoming cooler air. This also aids in the way the intercooler flows.

Anyways, it comes down to your setup.... if you plan on getting a larger Turbocharger then going with the Hahn is the way to go. Getting the Hahn and sticking to the stock turbo is fine but a little overkill. Some people will think " Well its bigger so better cooling, right" Well to some degree yes but not necessarly. You also need to think about that K04 filling that bigger core, not that it can't as I had the Hahn on a K04 without a problem, but just something to think about as it can effect booting times vs stock or the DDMWorks. This is why I say that a larger turbo capable of flowing more CFM would match perfectly with a Hahn.

The DDMWorks is slightly smaller and boost times(though small) will be slightly better as it doesn't need to flill as much as a larger core. Safe to say though that larger Turbo's have been used on DDMWorks intercoolers with awesome results.

Let me also throw this out there. The stock intercooler is actually a well designed FMIC for being what you get from the factory. The only time an issue arises is when you run the car hard(ie Road Racing at a Track or multiple passes at a Drag strip) thus having an aftermarket intercooler becomes a good investment. Other than that, you'll be just fine if your going on road trips or just meets(Car shows) with the stock OEM intercooler.
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.

Last edited by 40rty; 11-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

40rty your comments need a like button!
Very informative.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I personally have the WERKs IC, works more than perfectly, no fitment issues 4" thick, and I cannot complain!
2008 Sly GXP (Z0K) Custom Tune, Dejon Precision 5557B Kit, Wiseco/ARP/K1 Built Bottom End, AEM Meth Injection, SPEC Stage III Clutch, DDMworks Backbone, Kappasphere ReBar, DDM Crossbrace, Custom Front Splitter, HKS SSQV, Norm's ZR-1 fenders, Cobalt SS BBK.

SOLD

Last edited by Racer_X; 11-30-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with Hahn.
warrenhotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm putting in a Hahn IC today but I believe any of the aftermarket IC's are going to be quality made. I've not seen much in complaining of any aftermarket IC.

Hahns price is really good right now. I'm slightly upgraded and consider plans for a bigger turbo (not decided how big) and adjusting some internals to handle that power. The Hahn IC will overkill anything I do so if I keep going bigger, I'm set. Oh and the price was really good.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP, Trifecta tune, DDM Race Bckbne,OCC,fndr trim,center console,coilcover and LVKFCB, WERKS tank covers, Hahn IC, KS reBar, Dejon lwr intake,IC and TBE pipes, Solo HF cat with Magnaflow 3" exh, VDI doors, B&G coilovers, ASAP mesh covers, Norms f430 bumper,fenders,side skirts, GTO CAI hood and rear diffuser, Gravana J2's, ZOK bars, custom projector LED Halo headlights and taillights, custom WR & "Madmods" CF dash, pillar & door sills, JPM shifter
Next, Crazy leather int
cdflint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good choice. Wait until you get that puppy in the mail. The size will surprise you.
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.