Changing of the leaves in Arkansas this fall? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Southwest > SWSC
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founding Member

Changing of the leaves in Arkansas this fall?

http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/virtual_tour.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/bestroad...-scenic-byway/

http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

On our Possum Kingdom run this weekend, several people discussed doing a run up to the Talimena highway this fall to see the fall colors. Any of you Oklahoma/Arkansas brethren know what the proper weekend would be? I imagine the Queen Willimena Lodge is probably already booked up, but maybe we could all meet somewhere close Friday night, and do the drive on a Saturday. Maybe even extend it into Hot Springs territory Saturday afternoon for those who wish.

Just tossing out ideas. Would be fun to take the wife on a leisurely sight-seeing cruise. She gets a little freaked out on the speed runs. It would also be fun to have an event with OK and Arkansas Solstices. We could reminisce about the glory days of the Southwest Conference.
How to lower your front license plate How to install an aftermarket headunit Upload your BEST pics here!

Last edited by AztekzRpurty; 06-19-2006 at 01:09 PM.
AztekzRpurty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great plan Aztekz. Wife and I are in and we'll even show up in the Solstice this time!

Are you thinking: go up on Saturday - spend the night - return on Sunday?

Schedule might be -

Ride - eat - ride - eat - sleep - eat - ride - eat - ride
Founding Member #2
1st 1K #781
310whp DDM Custom Turbo System
DDM Pro-Beam, A-Pillar Pod, PLX gauges
DDM Race BackBone, center feed fuel rail
Starlight red I/C pipes and coil cover

GReddy Profec B Boost Controller, HKS BOV
3" DDM/Magnaflow cat-free exhaust
Werks radiator / Precision billet grilles
Norms vented fenders / GXP Spoiler
Riken Raptor's 255/45/18
carlintexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founding Member

Not sure. Could be drive up Friday night, spend all Saturday driving, spend Saturday night for those that want to, and come back Sunday.

We could even look into renting a big cabin and splitting it. There are lots around Broken Bow/ Beaver's Bend.

Just throwing ideas out there for now.
How to lower your front license plate How to install an aftermarket headunit Upload your BEST pics here!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice Chica
I think my hubby and I would like to try and make it. Do you have any idea when you might wanna plan it? We are not going to be able to make it the Nationals so this might not be too bad an idea
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Founding Member

Schedule permitting, sounds like something my wife and I would really enjoy!

--Chemist
Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'd be up for leaving earlier on Friday so we're not so trashed on Saturday. The cabin thing, not so much. My idea of roughing it is basic cable.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Friday's good for me! Some of the multi-bedroom cabins with large living areas are pretty nice.

Did a trout trip in Sheridan, Wyoming couple of years back that had a 4 br lodge that came with a chef! Long story, but the guy has cooked for some pretty famous people!
Founding Member #2
1st 1K #781
310whp DDM Custom Turbo System
DDM Pro-Beam, A-Pillar Pod, PLX gauges
DDM Race BackBone, center feed fuel rail
Starlight red I/C pipes and coil cover

GReddy Profec B Boost Controller, HKS BOV
3" DDM/Magnaflow cat-free exhaust
Werks radiator / Precision billet grilles
Norms vented fenders / GXP Spoiler
Riken Raptor's 255/45/18
carlintexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

That's what I'm talkin' about.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like a great trip...I've been on that highway once before and the turns and hills are beautiful...going in the Fall would be a wonderful idea. I would definitely like to be include with my Sweetie!

Pauliegirl
Pauliegirg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SO SLY Send a message via MSN to SO SLY Send a message via Yahoo to SO SLY
OK sounds great Jen & me will be there form the North! Mabe a complete group from Green Country will show up.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sounds Great

My sweetie and I might be able come up. Keep us posted on what weekend would be the best for the colors. Sounds like we my need more than one lodge
Vin #102757 Sly/2 Tone, Loaded, No XM/On Star
Delivered 11/25/05 SOLD after over 125,000 smiles!

Bought 08 Sly GXP 1/15/12
CLSOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SO SLY Send a message via MSN to SO SLY Send a message via Yahoo to SO SLY
Prime Time

Arkansas fall foliage tours should be planned around the peak color times of each region of the state. Generally, significant color change begins in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas in late September or early October. The trees in central Arkansas and the Ouachita mountain range of west central Arkansas are changing noticeably by early to mid-October. Southern and eastern Arkansas foliage usually begins changing during mid-October. Most people, however, are more interested in the "peak" of color. There is usually a period of a week or so when the fall foliage in a particular area is at its best. The peak may be for a large area of the forest, or different areas may peak at different times, even though they are close to each other. Normally, the peak of color occurs around two or three weeks after color changes begin, meaning late October for the Ozarks, late October or early November for central and western Arkansas, and early to mid-November for the southern and eastern sections.

http://www.arkansas.com/calendar/fall_foliage_pg1.asp

Prime time will be late October or early November for central and western Arkansas

October 28 & 29
November 4 & 5

Last edited by SO SLY; 06-30-2006 at 02:56 PM.
SO SLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meallen1220
Arkansas fall foliage tours should be planned around the peak color times of each region of the state. Generally, significant color change begins in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas in late September or early October. The trees in central Arkansas and the Ouachita mountain range of west central Arkansas are changing noticeably by early to mid-October. Southern and eastern Arkansas foliage usually begins changing during mid-October. Most people, however, are more interested in the "peak" of color. There is usually a period of a week or so when the fall foliage in a particular area is at its best. The peak may be for a large area of the forest, or different areas may peak at different times, even though they are close to each other. Normally, the peak of color occurs around two or three weeks after color changes begin, meaning late October for the Ozarks, late October or early November for central and western Arkansas, and early to mid-November for the southern and eastern sections.

http://www.arkansas.com/calendar/fall_foliage_pg1.asp

Prime time will be late October or early November for central and western Arkansas

October 28 & 29
November 4 & 5

Thanks for the great info!

Now we need to pick one of those weekends and start looking for someplace to stay. I'll start poking around and post back.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mena Local here

Been to the Queen several times. An absolute wonderful drive from either OK or AR. The food there is definitely NOT 4 star! Just to let you know. Buffet is about 5 out of 10 and menu is about the same. Never booked a room there, being only 12 miles from there. Lodge is very pretty and scenic. Several decent eateries in Mena. But hey!! you would have to drive that curvy mountain road twice or 3 times ... down to eat, up to lodge or up to check in , down to eat and back to bed ... even better!! There are some nice trails at the lodge, so bring you walking shoes and bottle or O2 if need There are several places to stay in Mena, none are 3 or 4 star ... just a small little town with small town motels.

Now if you want the ultimate drive with scenic folage .... Drive to Fayetteville on the interstate from Ft. Smith OMGGGGGG!! Breathe taking. We have Hog tickets and will enjoy every Saturday we drive up there for the games

Just let me know about a Meet and greet ... I can set one up here at the Mexican Rest... great food!!
"Taz" hot and aggressive #10489
Bob from Mena, AR

Last edited by pogo765; 07-10-2006 at 02:55 AM.
pogo765 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 02:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

any takers for this summer??
"Taz" hot and aggressive #10489
Bob from Mena, AR
pogo765 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.