2006 Pontiac Solstice Turbocharger Install - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Engine 2.4 l Ecotec > Forced Induction 2.4 l Ecotec
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

2006 Pontiac Solstice Turbocharger Install

So I'm heading home to my parents house this weekend where my car is stored for the winter so as to begin installing the turbo kit that was on Jinsuko and Compression's car. This is my first ever installation of forced induction onto a factory n/a car, So i figured i'd snap some pictures and include some advice for those that are in the same boat as me. I have a few questions for the veterens out there though. How easy are the exhaust manifold bolts to pull? I dont have torches pn hand but was going to warm the car up and break them all free. also, how involved is removing the front bumper? Im using oil lines from perfprmance autowerks' is it easier to install and route the oil lines before installing the manifold? look forward to some pics tonight guys!
2.4solstice06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4solstice06 View Post
So I'm heading home to my parents house this weekend where my car is stored for the winter so as to begin installing the turbo kit that was on Jinsuko and Compression's car. This is my first ever installation of forced induction onto a factory n/a car, So i figured i'd snap some pictures and include some advice for those that are in the same boat as me. I have a few questions for the veterens out there though. How easy are the exhaust manifold bolts to pull? I dont have torches pn hand but was going to warm the car up and break them all free. also, how involved is removing the front bumper? Im using oil lines from perfprmance autowerks' is it easier to install and route the oil lines before installing the manifold? look forward to some pics tonight guys!
I'm no veteran but the exhaust manifold bolts were easy to remove, just use a little elbow grease, (1/2" socket) and it would probably be easier to remove the front bumper, it's just about 10 screws on top and a few on each side of the fender well (7mm socket/wrench). it wouldn't have been bad if you would've ordered a high flow cat, definitely worth the money and can feel the difference in sound and low end power.

good luck on your install, i will stay tuned as i would like to install a turbo kit/supercharger kit on my 2.4.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, So I took some pictures to share with you guys for this round.

1.First, because I feared it the most from my dealings with ford trucks, I removed the exhaust manifold and cat

2. Then I pulled the front bumper.

3. Next I removed the intake and the airbox assembly

4. Then, after removing all the plastic crap in the front of the radiator, I found a mangled radiator much to my surpise

Thats all for this trip, I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to mount the intercooler, but there will be a different thread on that.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure why you needed to pull the front bumper. I didn't have to, when I did my S/C Kit and intercoooler. I did, however find it useful to take the hood off.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I pulled the front bumper just to help me figure out how I am going to mount this intercooler. I was going to pull the hood, but I honestly don't have a good and safe place to store it througout the process
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

*update*

So here is the update, its coming along okay, I have the Turbo mounted and all the lines run.

Here is the water lines being run through the heater core...

Here are a couple of shots of the intercooler and everything mocked up...

And here is where I think I'm going to mount the intercooler using those two studs that stick out of the front of the frame rails...

I haven't installed the downpipe yet as I have to weld in the bung for the wideband gauge, and I haven't routed any of the vaccum lines yet. Its coming slowly but surely, still have to buy injectors, ddm gauge pod, and a boost gauge, but hopefully it will be done before autox starts
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Looking good.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

*Update

So The car is all finished and currently at SMG Motorsports in Hopedale, Ma for tuning. I'll be sure to post numbers when I hear...

Here's some pictures of the final product...

2006 Pontiac Solstice - 76 SSM
-Garrett GT2876R Turbocharged
*Tuned by SMG Performance

1992 Ford F-150 300CI "Big Six"

1986 Ford Mustang LX Notch
-In the middle of a frame off restoration...
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

awesome. can't wait to hear how it runs. so it sounds like there's a debate on taking the hood off vs the front bumper. If it's one or the other, I'd go with the hood since I've removed hoods about 30 times and have plenty of help and room to store. Thanks for sharing.
Kicker 10in Comp RT Sub & Punch 850.2 Bass Amp
8in Antenna, Chrome Stem caps and Tinted Windows.
2006 Sly NA
Bone stock except for 8in antenna:)
Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
TX08manualGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX06manual View Post
awesome. can't wait to hear how it runs. so it sounds like there's a debate on taking the hood off vs the front bumper. If it's one or the other, I'd go with the hood since I've removed hoods about 30 times and have plenty of help and room to store. Thanks for sharing.
You don't need to remove the hood (or I guess the bumper either) but I did the later I had to fab up mountain brackets for my IC as well. The hood has so many adjustments I just left it because I didn't feel like making all the markings and trying to get it refit (also doing it solo). The bumper cover is simple.

OP, nice job! I really like the piping. Any codes?
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

well that's a relief. I plan on getting everything and heading out in the garage on a Saturday morning and tell the wife I'm going to change the oil and if she comes outside and the hood is off and there's piping everywhere, she might get a bit suspicious.
Kicker 10in Comp RT Sub & Punch 850.2 Bass Amp
8in Antenna, Chrome Stem caps and Tinted Windows.
2006 Sly NA
Bone stock except for 8in antenna:)
Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
TX08manualGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
OP, nice job! I really like the piping. Any codes?
I had a MAP code in there as I unplugged the 2 bar I installed just to drive it on and off the car trailer. The CAT is hollowed out so I'm having SMG turn off the CAT monitor. Other than that, no terrible issues so far, although the tuner did call today to say that using the oil drain plug adapter was not the ideal spot for a return line. I knew this going into it but it was the best option for me at the time, and as far as I know, its what performance autowerks and Hahn use in their kits.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4solstice06 View Post
I had a MAP code in there as I unplugged the 2 bar I installed just to drive it on and off the car trailer. The CAT is hollowed out so I'm having SMG turn off the CAT monitor. Other than that, no terrible issues so far, although the tuner did call today to say that using the oil drain plug adapter was not the ideal spot for a return line. I knew this going into it but it was the best option for me at the time, and as far as I know, its what performance autowerks and Hahn use in their kits.

Hahn uses their own setup. Unique to them. You might want to send them an email to pick that up. It's a great option to have.
BlueMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Good call Blue, I'm not terribly familiar with the Hahn kits, I knew they had some kind of easier return line than tapping the block though. I got the lines through performance autowerks, and they'll do for now. I'm going to ask the tuner about ZZP's oil pan with a return fitting. When my clutch eventually goes, and the tranny is out, I may slip one of those in...

Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Okay, so the fix is in. The tuner called yesterday and told me the car made 251whp and 244wtq. I'm slightly disappointed as I was expecting somewhere in the range of 285 - 300, but his reasoning made since to me. He tells me he kept it toned down a little to go easier on the stock clutch, which I am thankful for since I asked for this anyway. He also said the 60lb injectors I ordered were pretty much maxxed out which seems a little odd to me as I figured they would support well into the 300's. He also told me he didn't want to push it because it was a toss up as to when they put those crappy connecting rods in the LE5's. All in all I'm pretty happy and I don't think its that bad for a custom kit I spent less than 2000 on here on the forum. I guess I'll just have to make little tweaks and it back for another go. Will post sheets when I get home.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.