Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Weight on autoline Detroit - Weight of Solstice Discussion

11K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  FieroKyle 
#1 ·
Weight on autoline Detroit

On the Autoline Detroit show they interviewed the head of the Kappa platform. One of the interviewers said that the rumor was the Solstice was going to weigh in at 2900 lbs in the context of competing with the lighter weight Miata. She did not correct him but pointed out that they could compete through more hp.

I sure hope that they don't let it go up to 2900 lbs.
:mad:

#5 ·
I have seen the 170HP numbers, but has anything been mentioned in regards to torque? In thinking about a car the same weight as the S2000, the Solstice would be at a substantial disadvantage in HP. However, the S2000 makes horrendous torque, so the Solstice engine will likely make up for it there, although surely not to the same degree. Then again, the S2000 costs about what the supercharged Solstice will cost.

#16 ·
Re: Why so heavy?

db7am said:
I think the Solstice is quoted to being 2800lbs. How can a 2 seater be so heavy? Look at the Miata, not the Z4.

Also, 18in wheels? Does it handle so poorly that it needs 18's?

Tony
The car has similar structure as the C5/C6 making it a very rigid structure. It is bigger than the Miata, (unbelievable leg room), and the wheel size only enhances the handling, not sure why you think a tire would correct a handling flaw anyway?:confused

#18 ·
As an owner of a Miata, WRX and 300ZX TT, and a potential customer for a Solstice, I was immediately concerned with the probable relatively heavy weight projected for the Solstice. While my Miata is the slowest of my cars, it is often the most fun to drive. Its light weight makes the handling and feel an experience you can never get enough of! :nono

#20 ·
L8APEX said:
Even if the tires helped for some reason why wouldn't you put the best handling tire/wheel combination on? :rolleyes It all adds up.

What size tire/wheel does the Miata use?
The Miata can be had with 15's or 16's depending on package and I think the upcoming Mazdaspeed version will have 17's.

Actually, I don't mind vehicles coming with larger wheels because it is easier to get light weight aftermarket wheels that will improve acceleration, but 18's are a little big out of the box. It's hard to find lightweight 18's and the ones that are out there are astronomically priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.