Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

OK, what about 2017 Nationals?

10K views 74 replies 23 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
Usually by now we have begun to consider where the nationals after next will be held. So far, dead silence?

Thoughts?

:lurk::lurk::lurk:

#48 ·
I've heard rumors......however, I shall not disclose :devil:

#50 ·
Just a thought but has any one considered Pontiac Michigan ? Yea I know the area has seen better days but I do the Dream Cruise and there is always a ton of stuff for a person to see and do plus if it's timed around the cruise it would make for a hell of a week .Another plus is once you get out of the city area there are some great country roads and for me you could not ask for a greater group of people they have always made me feel welcome .

#54 ·
We camp and ride mountain bikes at Navajo Lake, between, Bryce and Zion. Do trails at Brian Head, and the Virgin River Rim Trail. Beautiful country, but close at 10K, it makes it much nicer than Moab anytime during the summer. Nearest town is Cedar City, 25 miles west on Highway 14 if I remember correctly.

#56 ·
Maybe 2017 is a year to plan a west coast national and an east coast national...then in 2018 do one towards the center, etc. It seems to me that the events draw pretty consistently---just plan and let folks choose. I suspect any and all will be successful because those who plan have always done great work. You are correct that the secret is getting people involved with the planning.

#57 ·
I attend the national events to enjoy the cars and go on the fabulous cruises. Pontiac MI may be a nice name but the city is not the kind of area I would ever like to plan a national. With national meets normally falling around the summer solstice there isn't a lot going on around Detroit area. Yes we have some fair country roads but nothing like the quality roads I've driven in the seven nationals I've attended. We tend to travel five miles to find a nice curve. Around Detroit suburbs there is way to much traffic and most areas north of Detroit is farmland and blocked in 1 mile squares. We find a few fair roads by following some River roads. When I think of 100 or more kappas venturing onto our normal cruises it doesn't seem possible. The upper part of the lower peninsula has the best roads and scenery but June is tourist season up there and difficult to get one room let alone hundreds. I agree with the many others that central locations for the Nationals seems to work out the best. I'm excited about the Ozarks. All this has been just my opinion.

#58 ·
Mike you bring up some good points especially from someone in the area .I've always enjoyed Michigan even before I started attending the cruise to me there is a lot to do especially for someone interested in cars and once you get out of the city the countryside is beautiful .I like Wicked Lady's comment about having an event on one coast then the other the following year .

#59 ·
It isn't for us to decide location of the Nationals, east or west, but to be determined by a group willing to do all the work involved with organizing such events. Obviously we enjoy areas with great roads to take our beloved Kappas onto. Hopefully we continue having those willing to continue our yearly national events.

#60 ·
There has and will be again soon more discussion about where a western Nationals should be held.
I thought there was mention awhile ago about someone trying to do Michigan or somewhere further back east as the 2017 location. Then having it back out west in 2018.
I have made the suggestion to our local PNWR members that someone around Moab should pick it up. I'm all for Rob's suggestion that Moab be the location. There are great roads and majestic scenery to make for great photo-ops. June would be a great time as the weather shouldn't be oppressive yet that early in the season. But are the Rocky Mtn club able and willing the tackle such a large task from their distance from the area. Maybe some of us from the PNWR or Phoenix groups could help in anyway we could.
First things first where is 2017 going to be held? Then Moab 2018 to give everyone out west a chance to coordinate such a meet!

#61 ·
We already did one Nationals. 2009

And I expect we could anticipate the same kind of numbers as last time

So far no one has said they would be willing to host an event.

#63 ·
Your right chop but the problem is is is only one road and we need different events for a national. All the stop lights would really slow us down.

#65 ·
It looks very similar to Highway 74 coming out of Palm Desert, California to Mountain Center. Goes from sea level to over 4K in a little over 15 miles. We drove it two weeks ago, and for the first time stopped about midway up and looked down on it's descent into the desert.

#69 ·
I agree "RTE" I would have loved to go to last year's National but it was tough freeing up the amount of time it wold have taken me to drive there from Ohio and I didn't want to roll up that many miles on my coupe.

I had mixed feelings since it would have been an awesome drive out there in the Coupe. I would have hit many of the National Parks and other POI on the way there and back. I had started to make plans and began mapping it out but bailed at the last minute.

We probably need to pick a sight equidistant for east and west coasters so they can make the Nationals.

I made the Poconos.......it was my first National since I have only owned my coupe for 3 years. It was great meeting up with all the attendees with Kappas. I was inspired by all the work i saw done on those cars in attendance. Nice roads and made it to Bethel Woods (aka Woodstock)

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
"Cool" 5 spd GXP Coupe

#71 ·
We probably need to pick a sight equidistant for east and west coasters so they can make the Nationals.
That was part of the reason we picked Arkansas for 2016

#70 ·
Since the Nationals in 2017 are apparently going to be in the east, which is too far for many of our members to travel, we will probably plan a local event for around that time. We don't want to compete with the Nationals but we want to have some fun for the Solstice. Once their plans are firm we will see how we proceed. I have been getting some excellent suggestions and we have run both a nationals and many local events here in Colorado so some kind of relatively small event should not be a lot of work.

#72 ·
Depending on the success of this event, and I am sure it will be fantastic, this would be a dream location for the annual National. Silver Dollar City/Branson would be to. It is somewhat centrally located for the continental US. The biggest problem for a National it would seem is having the roads to test the car and its limits. Pretty sure Arkansas has those roads. Having the National every year in the same area has a tremendous advantage. Make several regional events around the country, so everyone can attend a major event. But the National should be the same weekend every year, so plans could be made to attend, work vacations days, baby sitters if needed. I am sure Sooner is up for another 10 to 15 years of being in charge. Just teasing man, I know how hard it is, been involved with ours for quite awhile.

Our national summit has been at the same spot every year, this will be the tenth one in July. Numbers have grown every year, and the reason is the location. People want to go there, and once they go, they want to go back again. Easier to plan for, establishes a relationship with the area that promotes the event, year around.

Of course you need to have a group that does it year in and year out at that level. No real learning curve after a couple of years.

Just some food for thought.

#73 ·
Depending on the success of this event, and I am sure it will be fantastic, this would be a dream location for the annual National. Silver Dollar City/Branson would be to. It is somewhat centrally located for the continental US. The biggest problem for a National it would seem is having the roads to test the car and its limits. Pretty sure Arkansas has those roads. Having the National every year in the same area has a tremendous advantage. Make several regional events around the country, so everyone can attend a major event. But the National should be the same weekend every year, so plans could be made to attend, work vacations days, baby sitters if needed. I am sure Sooner is up for another 10 to 15 years of being in charge. Just teasing man, I know how hard it is, been involved with ours for quite awhile.
Here are the roads in Arkansas and southern Missouri, I let you judge whether the roads are up to snuff :thumbs:
https://youtu.be/MGNwCecQlGE

We intentionally based 2016 a fair distance from Branson (although we have a run or two that go that way and we want people to have the opportunity to get over there on their own) because of the logistical nightmares of dealing with a group our size getting around in such a tourist Mecca. But you are right, there are a lot of great things to do there.

I would like to see NASSAM keep moving around. While a central location makes it easier for some people to get there, it's still a loooooong haul from both coasts. So there is also an advantage to moving it around to make it easier for different groups of folks to attend. In addition, you get to see different parts of the country when you move it around. The Poconos and Portland were both looooong hauls for a lot of people, but they were both outstanding events, focused on regional clubs from different parts of the country, and both offered some spectacular scenery and events that you can't do anywhere else in the country. We're trying to do that in Arkansas as well.

I will always be willing to help with NASSAM, but doubt I will run another one, mainly because NW Arkansas was always my NASSAM Mecca. How can you top the one you really wanted to see happen? But I've heard a lot of great ideas for other places. I really hope Canada pans out. I would love a NASSAM in South Dakota, the Pacific Coast, north Georgia / Tennessee, and several other places.

If I do another major event, it will be a Route 66 Run....all of Route 66. But's that's 2018 at the earliest.

#74 ·
So my suggestion that you take over as a National director is falling on deaf ears.:cryin:

Sooner, I have driven a lot of them, and I know how great they are, and how beautiful the area is, no question.

Ours was supposed to move to different areas when it started, but decided it was easier on the promoters to do it in one area. Ours is ran by the same group. A different set up.

I know it is a long haul for me to Arkansas, but to eastern Canada takes me out of the scenario, as would Florida, or New York or for that matter the eastern states. Just feel pretty certain, most living in those states feel the same about California, Oregon or Washington, BC. Central locations give the National being a true blending of people from across the country, in the current situation, you get a few, but most within a two or three state drive, I would imagine.

I plan to attend as many as I can, but most will be west of the Mississippi for me. I missed Oregon, just up the road, because of time and travel, medical reasons added.

What did happen with our system, was that the Canadian bunch organized their own National. Some of us traveled to it and most of the main core from Canada come Ouray.

I will admit that we are seeing comments on our forum about a change, but we have over 400 vehicles projected this year, 39 vendors, 3 semi's and a city that whole heartedly endorses our every action. Not to mention our sign up day for this year will be at 10am on 2April, Rocky Mountain Time. It sold out in 37 minutes last year, and they expect it to be quicker this year.

#75 ·
My opinion is that as the owners average age climbs, they will be less willing to drive long distances to attend events. I can easily see where there are multiple "regional / national" events so more people can attend. The up side, as stated above of a roving event is a change in location and scenery etc. The down side is that because of the roving nature, the attendance is highly restricted. And as a result, the number of people who get to enjoy an event annually is greatly reduced. If we had a number of regional events that each attracted 100-200 cars from a two day travel radius, then conceivably many people could enjoy attending a "national" than now are able to do.

There are several towns in Colorado that have expressed a high interest in working with us to establish a 3 or 5 day event. And would provide a lot of local support.

I have been considering a low effort regional that includes a few "big" events and leaves it up to the attendees to do most of the work. For example, if we decided to "host" and event at Estes Park or Moab, the organizers could talk with the city, get them to host the event. Find two or three hotels that would be willing to offer event rates without any contracts or money exchanging hands. Pick a local venue for the group events such as the car shows, staging areas for a few runs and for social gathering. Instead of having multiple hosted runs, create social events in an appropriate venue and let individuals or groups chose from a list of local runs which they wish to explore. Hold a few hosted runs but generally the theme is they show up and they do as much or as little as they want to do while having plenty of time to socialize and share bench racing together.

That could be a pretty low energy event on the organizers yet still give people in the region an opportunity to gather together and have a good time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.