Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Component speakers or not

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  volarium 
#1 ·
I have a Monsoon system and have already replaced the head unit. I plan to replace the Sub with the Pioneer (because easy), but I also want to replace the door and front pillar speakers (but keep the factory amp).

My question is simply, should there be a preference between buying component speakers
  • Infinity Reference REF-6530cx - 6-1/2" component speaker system

Versus just buying separate speakers and using the factory wiring
  • Infinity Reference REF-6532ex - 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers
  • Infinity Reference REF-375tx - 3/4" textile dome tweeters

I think I read that the Monsoon system doesn't really have built in crossovers.

If the answer is to buy component speakers, would I install the tweeters in the front pillar location and run the wires from the crossover in the door, which means not using the factory wires that go to the stock tweeters?

If the answer is to just buy the separate speakers, can I just hook them up and everything will work fine?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure if the Monsoon amp has built in filters or not, so can't really answer your first question.

However, I have component speakers in mine (Alpines) with aftermarket amp. I put the crossovers in under the dash and then ran wires from there in to the doors and up to the A-pillars. The tweeters I installed in the stock locations. With a couple of notches in the tweeter frame, I got them to clip in to the stock pillar mounts just like the factory ones.

Even if you use components+Monsoon it might be easy enough to split the crossover inputs yourself and wire to the amp separately for bass/mid and tweeters.

#3 ·
Thanks Tomato, it's especially helpful to know that you mounted the crossovers under the dash, I would probably do the same. Does anyone else have any feedback regarding the wiring from the factory amp? It seems easier to just buy separate speakers, but I'm not sure they will be split correctly from the amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.