Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - Another "CW" hobby
View Single Post
post #67 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 PM
wspohn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Bill your back i hadn't seen a comment from you in a bit & was wondering.I have used the Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic to get my woofers worked & they did a good job. I think in previous threads you just touched on been a home audio fan. I have seen a few of those vintage units now with the usb port some look very good. When you ripped your cds what files did you use was it Flac files? I still love the warm sound out of tube amps as you can load them up with out saturation. Just bought a soul food pedal to give me that tube sound while running my axe plugged into my crate amp.
Van Audio has been the go-to for years for speaker repair here. Sadly, one of the remaining principals passed away a little while ago, so there is only one left. Hopefully he will stay in the business!

Yes, tube gear normally has 'soft' clipping when overdriven (still not a great idea in a home system, although done all the time in guitar amps).

Yes, I rip to Flac which is a compressed format that does not throw bits away - called 'lossless'. The other popular lossless format is Apple Lossless but I don't like the limitations that Apple tends to impose on their stuff.

I use dBpoweramp for ripping and Sonos to manage the music (keeps it in alphabetic order with album images and facilitates finding and playing files). Lots of options out there now.

I forget where you are living - have a good friend from law school days living in Penticton who plays bass in a local hobby band, so if you need info on where to find repairs, parts etc. up there, let me know and I can ask.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome