Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - Another "CW" hobby
View Single Post
post #71 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:26 PM
syjos

Garage
I made the switch to computer DJ'ing around 2010. Up until then most DJ software was aimed at "scratching", which I don't do. Additionally, the software utilized MP3's which I did not embrace because of the degraded sound, especially the loss of low bass with the small file size. Large hard drives were either not available or cost prohibited then so reducing the MP3 file size was the norm.

By 2010 large hard drives were affordable and the DJ software had started allowing other formats to be used for music conversion. I bought Native Instruments Traktor software which interfaced with Denons Pro DJ MIDI Controller. It has a built in digital analog converter via USB and the rack mounted controller replicates all the buttons, knobs, display and functions of the Denon Dual Deck Pro DJ CD Player that I have been using for over 20 years. This made transitioning to computer DJ stress free because of the controllers familiarity. With the controller replicating the CD player functions, I did not have to navigate the computer with a mouse and keyboard. I can read all the songs information on the controllers display and start, stop and manipulate a song with the buttons.

All the music was converted using FLAC and Apple Lossless to about 50% of the original file size. This is considered CD quality.

I'm currently in the process of converting all my non DJ music to the hard drive.

Last edited by syjos; 02-09-2019 at 04:24 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome