Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Exploratory thread for nassam 2023 (n.c./s.c./ga)

7K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  druid-2 
#1 · (Edited)
THIS IS AN EXPLORATORY THREAD TO DETERMINE IF THERE IS ENOUGH INTEREST IN HOSTING THE EVENT

if you are interested in being an active planner, please post here

#2 · (Edited)
Since the OP has edited his first post I am deleting all comments not directly related to his inquiry to avoid any confusion to potential volunteers.
I will delete this post later today.

Reactions: sirwm
#3 ·
Mike, I am interested in helping set this up, but the odds of my attending the event are small. As suddenly came up this year (and already known for next) we do our major projects in June and July, and leaving town for a week is next to impossible. If you need map work or pre-event scouting I will be glad to do whatever I can. And who knows, I may have decided to retire by then,

#4 ·
I attended NASSAM for the first time this year. It was loads of fun. I also saw how the organizers were really doing a lot to make the event a great thing. I would like to volunteer for the upcoming years. I am not sure I can make it to Rapid City due to distance and work, but I would be very eager to help behind the scenes if needed.

Yes, I would be interested in and would volunteer to work on a NASSAM in the south eastern US.

#5 ·
Assuming the west coast folks will set up something for 2022 then NASSAM should come back towards the east. I know that MKC has all cruises and points of interest set to do WV. Even the hotel has confirmed they could handle an event. If no one comes forward for a SC or GA NASSAM 2023 then WV would be in the same area! Although maybe the MKC group should see how the MI 2021 NASSAM goes before committing !

#37 ·
except its flat and congested and you'll never get a hotel there than cam handle 150 cars...even 2 years in advance...Sorry JW

#7 ·
The early NASSAM events were about the car and the driving experience. It seems that NASSAM events are changing to destination events. Going to the beach or zoo etc. things I do on vacation and day my everyday car. I look forward to driving on twisty scenic roads during NASSAM. Hopefully we will always meet where the driving is the focus.

#8 ·
I completely agree that driving should be the focus, but my fascination with driving aimlessly has waned. In all honesty I think that if you just focus on the asphalt, fun twisty roads are pretty much the same wherever you go. I now like to drive twisty scenic roads in order to get someplace new and interesting. Part of that comes from the fact that I live in the midst of some of the most fun twisty roads in the country, and get to drive a lot of them every day when I go to work.

#9 ·
John : I understand your feelings and I have no problem with options for everyone. We that live in flat land/ farm country try to find any curves we can. I just think of the traffic and roads around places like Myrtle Beach and wouldn’t want to take my Solstice there. The same goes for me attending something here in MI that would be in Detroit. I’m not taking my car to Greenfield Village or the crazy traffic there. That’s what the family SUV is for.

#10 ·
2023 Active Planner Proposal West Virginia

As it looks like 2022 may be in the Western US, as it should be, the Michigan Kappa Club would like to move their offer and desire to host a SouthEastern U.S. NASSAM in Beckley, WV to 2023, June 19-24.

We have EVERYTHING in place from a Fall Color Tour Event in October 2018.

The Country Inn would be the host hotel with indoor and outdoor pools, Free Hot Breakfast, Fridge and Microwave in each room. A Holiday Inn and Microtel are adjacent for overflow/options. The Hotel is adjacent to the freeway, gas stations and restaurants with 60 dining options in Beckley. An attached banquet facility is more than adequate for our group. Vendor space is adequate.

We have six developed full-day runs on incredible Appalachian mountain roads. Five of the runs start right near the hotel. The Back of the Dragon/Claw of the Dragon runs are 45 minutes away by freeway in Southwest Virginia. BIO breaks are established. Lunch restaurants were very accommodating. Abbreviated versions of the long runs were created for those desiring more flexibility in their day.

Here are the reviews from the event:

"Incredible week in WV."

"We have to thank you for all your hard work, it was EPIC. We had such a great time."

"Our thanks to MKC for making us feel like family this past week in WV. We have done a lot in life, but this ranks right near the top."

"Thanks so much for including us in this great event."

"...... while attending the Greatest Driving Event of the year."

#16 ·
2023 Active Planner Proposal West Virginia

As it looks like 2022 may be in the Western US, as it should be, the Michigan Kappa Club would like to move their offer and desire to host a SouthEastern U.S. NASSAM in Beckley, WV to 2023, June 19-24.

We have EVERYTHING in place from a Fall Color Tour Event in October 2018.

The Country Inn would be the host hotel with indoor and outdoor pools, Free Hot Breakfast, Fridge and Microwave in each room. A Holiday Inn and Microtel are adjacent for overflow/options. The Hotel is adjacent to the freeway, gas stations and restaurants with 60 dining options in Beckley. An attached banquet facility is more than adequate for our group. Vendor space is adequate.

We have six developed full-day runs on incredible Appalachian mountain roads. Five of the runs start right near the hotel. The Back of the Dragon/Claw of the Dragon runs are 45 minutes away by freeway in Southwest Virginia. BIO breaks are established. Lunch restaurants were very accommodating. Abbreviated versions of the long runs were created for those desiring more flexibility in their day.

Here are the reviews from the event:

"Incredible week in WV."

"We have to thank you for all your hard work, it was EPIC. We had such a great time."

"Our thanks to MKC for making us feel like family this past week in WV. We have done a lot in life, but this ranks right near the top."

"Thanks so much for including us in this great event."

"...... while attending the Grea would be great

test Driving Event of the year."
2024 CA,MT, WA

#15 ·
in previous years, there was a national event in the Poconos ( Pa ) and Corning, NY.

Reactions: rperez01
#18 ·
San Diego, where are you? Ditto Reno or Las Vegas?

#19 ·
I'm interested in talking with some of the past planning teams. Being g able to help put 9ne together would be a blast.

Brainerd, MN is where I was thinking. They've got a track at BIR, the headwaters if the Mississippi, the Iron Range just north, lots of twisty roads along the lakes.

#22 ·
I would think you'd make the drive in half a day or so. You look like you're on the other side of WI. If you crossed at Stillwater on the St Croix River, it'd be just 2.5 to 3 hours to Brainerd I think.

BIR hosts NHRA events. Drag strip, road coase, autocross course. They hold two events called 'proving grounds' each summer. Huge events. There's a driving school too.

#29 ·
First challenge is finding people to volunteer. I’ve done two and it’s a hell of a lot of work and not inexpensive
Every year there are “discussions “ about locations. East. West. No north. No south they all come to naught without an organization willing to do the work
First find people then a location.
Everyone wants it in their back yard but without 10 or 15 people with the right skills nothing happens

jistoricslly there have been about 220 cars at every event. One had 300? But if you build it they will come

unless you have a group discussion of location is a waste of time

#30 ·
Well said.

You also need at least one person (preferably more) with car event (preferably NASSAM) experience because trying to plan one without really knowing what is involved makes a merely difficult process nearly impossible. If you don't know what you don't know about something it is hard to ask questions about it.

A minor correction: Car counts have run from 100-200+, and people from 170-350.
Canton set the record in 2010 with 203 cars and 350 people.

#31 ·
I have planned two. John has done one. Lots of lessons learned
I have all our files on my cloud including cruise plans, excel spreadsheets for tracking just about everything
Parking space assignment process
Vendor lists with POCs phone numbers and email addresses
Sponsor management process paper
Hotel agreements along with fox and donts
A roster of info for all attendees. Names addresses phone. Email
Lots of organizational history and templates

#35 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.