Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

STUBBY Antenna

71K views 114 replies 58 participants last post by  dennmon 
#1 ·
Yea yea, I know, I should know better for asking. But, which supporting vendor on the forum here sells small stubby antennas for the solstice?

I would like a 4 inch antenna or anything smaller. If there is nothing that small, what is the next smallest size up?

Thanks, and happy motoring.

#56 ·
hatetowait said:
went to check on some other things and got some shots of the stub
and I also forgot that I like it for the ease of use with my car cover....
Thanks for the info, hatetowait! I ordered this antenna today. :)

#57 ·
The ONSTAR antenna WIL NOT WORK, all you get is static, it has to do with the frequency the antenna is designed to work with, I tried the analog ONSTAR version and the Digital and neither worked.

#58 ·
Clipping the OEM antenna

Has anyone tried just clipping about 1/2 to 3/4 the length off of the OEM antenna? Would it still work after this? Would it look like crap? Look ok?

#59 ·
Road Trip said:
Has anyone tried just clipping about 1/2 to 3/4 the length off of the OEM antenna? Would it still work after this? Would it look like crap? Look ok?
I think somebody cut it down to 1/2 size, then capped the end off with "something". Try a little searching. There were a couple of lengthy antenna threads, where different mods were tried and discussed.

#60 ·
dengel said:
I think somebody cut it down to 1/2 size, then capped the end off with "something". Try a little searching. There were a couple of lengthy antenna threads, where different mods were tried and discussed.
Found it here:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13478&highlight=Antenna

"The OEM mast is great does not Whistle. A few of us tried a bunch of other mast and waisted our money.

We went back to the OEM mast and just cut it at the length we wanted and heat shrinked tube around the tip. Cheaper at a lot better."

#61 ·
Road Trip said:
I did clip the factory antenna right down to the base and then sanded the end flat and then sanded a small bevel on the end and it looks ok. I had to paint it cause the end I sanded was raw metal. If someone can tell me how to post a couple of pictures, I will try later today.

Sly-all but onstar,tint,lil,chromies and ECM in the mail!!!:cool:

#62 ·
I don't have my Solstice yet...can someone tell me how tall the factory antenna is? Thanks guys....and gals.

#64 ·
lol! Ok, anyone know how many *inches* tall it is?! I'm using a tape measure to try and visualize what it looks like stock, then using a tape measure to figure out what the aftermarket ones look like. I can not wait to get to goto my first Solstice meeting so I can look at everyones cars to see what this stuff looks like in the real world!

I still have not seen on one the street yet. I have only seen 3 in person, all were on a showroom floor. Not even a test drive before ordering mine.

#65 ·
I believe is 31" long.

#66 ·
Color Me Excited/color My Sol Sly

I just talked to my salesman, he thinks my Vin Number should be in this Monday. So you know what that means my SLY ONE should be here soon. Hope I'am not being too eager but I just purchased a couple of after market items for the car.The day I pick her up I'am going to have the service department put on all my jazzy stuff, like the kappa windjammer (screen) a set of Lil chromies, front bra, and lastly the G-Series stubby antenna. I'am old-school when I drive out of the dealership, all I want to have to do to the car is to put wax on it, and a fine woman and gas in it. Voncion/SolBad

#68 ·
:thumbs:
AAHSUM said:
I did clip the factory antenna right down to the base and then sanded the end flat and then sanded a small bevel on the end and it looks ok. I had to paint it cause the end I sanded was raw metal. If someone can tell me how to post a couple of pictures, I will try later today.

Sly-all but onstar,tint,lil,chromies and ECM in the mail!!!:cool:
I did the same thing and left in at 12" from base to tip. I bevled the tip and repainted it. Looks great! I will try and post a pic tonight.

#69 ·
Just Got My Stubby

MAIL PERSON JUST DELIVERED MY CHROME G-SERIES STUBBY ANTENNA. NOW IF I ONLY HAD MY RIDE TO PUT THE :cuss: THING ON. COME ON GM!! YOU SHOULD'VE HAD MORE CONFIDENCE IN THIS CAR AND ANTISIPATED THE DEMAND. ITS THE "THEORY OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND" ECONOMICS 101 ".

#97 ·
MAIL PERSON JUST DELIVERED MY CHROME G-SERIES STUBBY ANTENNA. NOW IF I ONLY HAD MY RIDE TO PUT THE :cuss: THING ON. COME ON GM!! YOU SHOULD'VE HAD MORE CONFIDENCE IN THIS CAR AND ANTISIPATED THE DEMAND. ITS THE "THEORY OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND" ECONOMICS 101 ".
Did you ever get the G series on? I'm trying to decide between the O and the G.

#71 ·
MSG_McKee said:
I like the smaller antenna, but I do want it to have range as well. Maybe someone will combine to two :thumbs: (looks and range)
I am using a 12" stainless steel antenna. This one cost me $25.00 or something like that. It has excellent reception. I didn't notice any difference from the stock one. It also has interchangable rings at the tip and base. They come in various colors and you can pretty much match the color of your Sol.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle door

#75 ·
The 4" stubby that hatetowait recommended works great and looks awesome! Thanks hatetowait! Got it on ebay for $13.98. I mostly listen to XM and CDs, but my local stations come in really well. And now it's not in the way when putting the top down on the passenger side. I'm very happy! :thumbs:

#76 ·
waste "O" money

fenderbender02 said:
It really isn't that bad. I don't normally listen to free radio but I did test it out and every channel I would listen to comes in crystal clear. Good luck!
I have the same one - and I am getting rid of it if anyone wants to buy it. It looks good, but it is totally useless. I can't receive any terrestrial radio stations clearly, so what's the point? Why not just cap the hole the old antenna left? And it's not like I am in the boonies; I live in the Metro NYC area.
I have XM in all my cars, but I still listen to the good old FM daily as well. If any one out there has some legitimate feedback on another antenna, i'm all ears; but the feedback in this thread lead me to believe that the "O" would work... waste "O" money...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.