Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Foot Well Lighting

47K views 148 replies 46 participants last post by  wmf246 
#1 · (Edited)
For those wanting to add LED lighting to the foot well and tie them into the map light so they will dim out like the map lights here is a short tutorial for the proper connections. I have the standard mirror and have OnStar so if you have the same mirror these instructions will work for you. You do not need to install a relay with this setup. I used 9 inch led strips that have adhesive strips purchased from Advanced Auto.

Remove the sun visors and the pull down on the panel above the windshield it has metal clips that snap in. Once panel is down you will see a bundle of wiring running from the mirror. Gently peel back some of the binding and locate the "Gray" wire.

Be careful not to mistake it for a gray wire with a black stripe in it. Once wire is located use a wire connector like the one in picture. This wire is connected to the ground wire on the Led lights. I connected my wire here and fed it through the straps that hold the harness for the mirror

I then took small plastic ties and tied the new wire to the mirror harness so they will not rattle later when driving. I pulled down the side panel and fed the wire down and removed the side dash panel to access it.

I then went to the fuse panel on the passenger side and found a "hot" outlet that does not require the key to be on. I used slot #27 the interior lights 10amp fuse socket.

Using a fuse link I purchased at Auto Zone

I removed the center console and ran my wiring around to the passenger side fuse box.

Here is the wire connector I used to tap into the gray wire in the mirror harness.

I wired 2 led stripes and tested my setup and it worked perfect.

See less See more
#36 ·
Hello, I am an idiot when it comes to electricity...

1. I am trying to find the right fuse link (the one you have pictured) - do you have a part number for it? I have gone to the store three times and have gotten three different ones that don't fit.

2. I bought the led strips but don't understand how to wire it - do I connect the two black wires together and black/grey to black/grey and then connect the black grey to the blue connector on the fuse link?

3. Do the black wires connect to the grey wire you identified in the wiring harness?

I know I am clueless, so any help would be appreciated. thanks!

#37 · (Edited)
Sorry Jonymac, just saw your post.

Here is the fuse link I bought at autozone. It has to be the 'mini' size.

As for the wiring, I was stumped for a minute too thinking they would be wired serial, but that doesn't work. You have to connect all the positive wires, (white on my led's), to the blue connector on the fuse link, and all the ground wires, (black on my led's), to the grey wire I identified in the harness.

#40 ·
I added a couple more strips at the top of the windshield, behind the visors. I found that the lights in the mirror over powered the red on the floor, so I disconnected the gray wire from the mirror and used it to light up the red LEDs up there. Now only the LEDs come on when the doors open/unlock. The map lights only come on when you use the buttons on the mirror. I tried to take some pics, but they didn't come out too good. I'll try again another time.

#41 ·
I did something along the same lines as BLK GXP using 4 small led pods. I put one on each side of the visors. Also disconeccted the mirror lamps from the gray wire. Put a switch in by the drivers visor inside edge to operate the now red interior lighting. I have some pix, but not on my laptop, so I will post sometime when I get home.

#42 ·
I used the same kind of LED strips that I put under the dash. I stuck them to the part of the windshield that is blacked out. I took the gray wire out of the mirror harness and connected it to the - negative wire on the LED strips. I connected the + positive on the LED strips to the blue wire in the mirror harness, but left it connected to the mirror as well. Now I have soft red glow on the top of the dash as well as below. If I need more light, I just have to push the buttons on the mirror. Maybe later I'll add a switch to turn them on as well.

Here's some pics. The first two are with the trim removed. With it back in place you can not see the strips at all from a normal seated position. They are slightly noticeable from outside the front of the car when lit.

Right side:

Left side:

Soft red glow:

#43 ·
I'm home now, so here are my pix:

The LED pods, there are 4 across the trim atop the windshield. Red on/off switch by drivers inside pod.

At night through drivers door, top up.

Another, lower angle shows center pods.

#44 ·
Quandry! Thanks guys for all your help. I wired up blue led strips in the footwells - looks freakin awesome. HOWEVER! Everything seemed fine - they dimmed and turned off along with the mirror lights as expected. I then came out to my car like 10 minutes later, and the buggers were on again - not my mirror lights, just the footwell lights! Opened the door, they flickered quickly once, closed the door, after 20 seconds they dimmed with the mirror lights as expected and went off. 10 or so minutes later - they mysteriously came on again - I waited to see if they would og off, but an hour later they were still on. I disconencted them in the mean time hoping to not run down the battery. They are wired as described above. Any ideas?

#45 ·
There is probably not enough load to turn them completely off. The gray wire is controlled by the BCM, and the circuit never truly opens completely. You can either add a resistor in series with the LEDs or wire in a relay to isolate the LEDs from the BCM circuit. LEDs alone draw very little current. Some that you buy have resistors already wired to them. I noticed at Advanced Auto Parts they sell the resistors to help with these kinds of issues.

#46 · (Edited)
My pods never completely shut off either, but they are very very dim in the off mode. I don't notice them when night driving anymore. There not noticeable at night with the top up, unless you bend down and look through the window. The draw is minimal, I have let the car sit for four days with no problem starting. I imagine the draw is still there with the mirror lights, just so little draw they didn't glow at all like the LEDs do.

#47 ·
Mine do shutoff completely - the problem is that they turn fully back on 10 minutes after I leave the car and stay that way! I do not know what kind of timer is in the system to turn them on and not the mirror lights. You would think the mirror lights would turn on too after 10 minutes. Any info on resisters - size, type, how to wire in etc?

#50 ·
Update: I rewired the footwell LEDs this past weekend. No more problems! Woohoo! They dim and turn fully off with the mirror lights and now do not magically turn back on after 10 minutes. Still don't know why this was happening, but now its not, so I am very happy!

#52 ·
No resister - just rewired the whole thing - don't know anythnig bout resisters - maybe I had a short or something. Replaced the fuse link and installed 2 new 5 amp breakers in it. Now that I think about it, I was also replacing the throttle body at the time with a big bore throttle body from Saturn Motorsports and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour so the computer would relearn the throttle position and clear my pesky CEL. Soooo - maybe the computer reset contributed to fixing things. I know - crappy troubleshooting methodology, but it works now!

#55 · (Edited)
Love this mod and after previous help from BLK GXP and this awesome forum thread here I think I can do the wiring without sending my car up in smoke.

I want to do RED LED lighting to go with the dash. Since these lights are only going to come on when the door is opened and closed they can be as bright as they make them.

Here are my questions:

Which LEDS are the best and brightest to use? Who makes them and what size do I want for the foot wells?

Is everyone using the adhesive backing that just stick on to mount the LEDs in place ~ or ~ is there a better method for mounting the LEDs?

Related question... Has anyone had trouble with the adhesive weakening and the led bars drop down after awhile?

I see some have actually replaced the actual dome mirror lights with RED LEDS... How is that done and again which LED mfg do I want to order? (an actual part number would be extremely helpful so that I dont order the wrong thing) FYI - I have a 2008 GXP with the Onstar controls - I know that makes a difference.

Final question... I have the wiring down (I think)... Based on the fact that I have absolutely nothing electrical parts wise here... Does someone have a complete shopping list put together including all the electrical pieces, connectors, wires, relays, taps, and wiring I need to complete this project? - (again actual part/model numbers would be great and very much appreciated)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to a complete novice like myself.

#58 ·
This is a great mod GM should incorporate into future Solstice models and offer it as an accessory kit to current owners for purchase. Great post and info.... Just wish someone one list a comprehensive/complete parts list (with model numbers) needed to complete the installation of this awesome mod.

#59 ·
Brazen Orange : This is a great mod GM should incorporate into future Solstice models and offer it as an accessory kit to current owners for purchase. Great post and info.... Just wish someone one list a comprehensive/complete parts list (with model numbers) needed to complete the installation of this awesome mod.
What future models ?

Kappasphere, et al, are the more likely source for a kit. This type of thing is way too niche-market for an OEM.

#60 ·
No soldering needed, just some wire ends and wire and a pair of crimps Get a fuse holder from Autozone Part #BP/HHA (don't forget the fuses to fit it I used 3 amp) I might add that the fuses are hard to insert into the holder so don't be afraid to apply a little muscle. A 8 or 9 inch led strip will work fine, can also be gotten at AutoZone and follow the install instructions from this post and you are in business.

#63 ·
Has anyone here replaced the white bulbs in map lights with colored LED lights? If so, if so what did you get (model number please) and where did you get it from? I am looking for something in red to match the instrumentation amd I want them to be bright.

#64 · (Edited)
Ok - After doing alot of looking on line and what is posted on this thread I have narrowed it down to three options here for the LED footwell lighting and now I am looking for some advice from someone who has done the mod.

I am looking at one or a combo of the following:

1 - 2 OPTX 9" bars shown at the beginning of this thread in RED

2 - 2 Oznium 9.5" flexable strips in RED

http://www.oznium.com/product_photos/large/1716.jpg

3 - Multiple Oznium Mini Modules (Straight or Oval) in RED

http://www.oznium.com/product_photos/large/2703.jpg

I want something that is going to be very bright.

I am looking for input and advice from soneone who has done the mod. I am asking because I am not sure if it was easy to mount a straight bar like the OPTX, if a flexible bar might make it easier, or if 3 mini modules mounted in the left and right footwells might be the best way to go kind of like the white square modules AztekzRpurty used here vs the straight bar.

Key is what would work best and be the brightest.

Thanks!!!