GXP RCD - Exhaust Kit- Solo Performance - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:21 PM

Is that 3" all the way or 3" split into 2 1/2" ?
Good Luck and God Bless, Bill Ivins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Bill. The 3" mandrel pipe has a transition at the stamped Y pipe ( the best for flow ) into two 2 1/2 dual pipes. The transition into the dual 2 1/2 inch pipes doesn't restrict it as it's almost 5 inches worth of flow. The 2 1/2 also fits better around the rear diff. Thanks.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO View Post
Hi Bill. The 3" mandrel pipe has a transition at the stamped Y pipe ( the best for flow ) into two 2 1/2 dual pipes. The transition into the dual 2 1/2 inch pipes doesn't restrict it as it's almost 5 inches worth of flow. The 2 1/2 also fits better around the rear diff. Thanks.
I am just trying to understand your explanation, so please excuse my question, but I am an engineer and I can't help but get wrapped up in the small details.

I am trying to understand where you are getting the 5 inches of flow. If the pipes are all circular, then two 2 1/2" pipes aren't really equivalent to one 5" pipe. Two 2 1/2" pipes would be closer to one 3 1/2" pipe in cross sectional area.

So are you saying that the Y pipe opens the flow up to 5 inches and then restricts it back down going into the 2 1/2" pipes, or were you just using the 5 inches as a rough estimate for the amount of flow through the two 2 1/2" pipes?

I would think that going from 3" of flow to an equivalent of 3 1/2" area of flow is still an improvement, and certainly wouldn't restrict flow in any way, right?

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
I am just trying to understand your explanation, so please excuse my question, but I am an engineer and I can't help but get wrapped up in the small details.

I am trying to understand where you are getting the 5 inches of flow. If the pipes are all circular, then two 2 1/2" pipes aren't really equivalent to one 5" pipe. Two 2 1/2" pipes would be closer to one 3 1/2" pipe in cross sectional area.
That's hysterical, but I guess your right . I had to google the formula for area of a circle as it's been a while so I wasn't sure I was remembering correctly, but I have to agree, cross section of two 2 1/2" pipes is roughly equal to one single 3 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
I would think that going from 3" of flow to an equivalent of 3 1/2" area of flow is still an improvement, and certainly wouldn't restrict flow in any way, right?

Current: '11 Challenger SRT 392, 6spd manual, B+G tune, WE sequential taillights.

Sold: 07 Solstice, black, 5spd manual, convenience, preferred, and premium packages, LSD, Monsoon, XM, A/C, ABS, chrome wheels.
Mods: DDM Stage II SC, Probeam, Race Backbone. Solo SQR-2 catback. Norm's first Solstice rear fascia. JPM center console. DashHawk.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dengel. Yes you're right. I didn't know the exact formula but what I was trying to point out is that the two 2 1/2 pipes don't restrict the system from the 3" front pipe. These small things are good to know. Thanks.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:42 AM

I have a question Jeff (raises hand)! If and when I where to order this killer exhaust, would it at all be practical to ask if there where any way the exhaust tips could be molded/bent so that they would be more streamlined with the rear valence of the car? Is it considerably more difficult? Thanks!
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi Lazy Eye. We tried, tried, and retried, different tips, heights, angles etc. and have found what we believe to be the very best tip, length and placement. Tips are certainly a personal taste and depending on what you want we might be able to alter them a bit. One word of caution, even the same tip that's out a bit further or hangs 3/4 of an inch lower, or points down, drastically changes the look of the rear end. In our opinion all of the examples I've just mentioned change it for the worse. Also you may be looking at the pics while the car is up in the air. The look changes a lot when the car is on the ground. Hope this helps.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to spiky3480
I thought that posting a picture of Norm's new diffuser on here combined with your GXP RCD II exhaust system would help people see what it looks like with different fascia in the rear. Here is the link to what the RCD II looks like with the center outlet diffuser: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...79&postcount=1

SOLO Performance
[email protected]
516-655-9002

2007 Mysterious GXP

Supporting Member of Solstice Forum

Exhaust Sound Clips
Camaro and G8 Solo Exhaust Sound Clips
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiky3480 View Post
I thought that posting a picture of Norm's new diffuser on here combined with your GXP RCD II exhaust system would help people see what it looks like with different fascia in the rear. Here is the link to what the RCD II looks like with the center outlet diffuser: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...79&postcount=1
Very nice Spiky!!!! BTW, does the rear valance come painted or do we have to get a body shop to paint it?

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to spiky3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mena661 View Post
Very nice Spiky!!!! BTW, does the rear valance come painted or do we have to get a body shop to paint it?
It comes painted if you ask him to have it painted.

To All: Keep in mind, though, that this is to promote the GXP RCD II exhaust system from SOLO Performance and not the diffuser...there is another thread that I started on the diffuser which is located here

SOLO Performance
[email protected]
516-655-9002

2007 Mysterious GXP

Supporting Member of Solstice Forum

Exhaust Sound Clips
Camaro and G8 Solo Exhaust Sound Clips
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Can anyone tell me how does the sound compare for the Solo GXP RCD II versus the GXP Solo Mach Shortie? Is there a stacked version of the GXP RCD II still available?
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rally. Thanks for your interest. The GXP-RCD and Mach Shorty sound the same. They bot use our 11" dual in dual out muffler. We do have the stacked version available too. I'm on holidays till Sat. I can only check PM's when we come into town so I may not respond right away. Thanks so much.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
Thanks Jeff. Instructions were awesome. I'll let everyone know here how long the dealer took. Hopefully if they're good, not more than an hour. I read the instructions on removing the rear fascia and it doesn't look that difficult. I'm not sure what they'll say about having to cut the black plastic stiffening piece behind the fascia though. Will it be less supportive now being cut up like that? I'm guessing so.
Hi Brendand,
which plastic piece are you talking about here. Can it be unbolted instead of cut?

Thanks.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to sprz31
never mind i didn't read before saying something stupid

Last edited by sprz31; 06-20-2009 at 08:49 AM.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

From All Of Us at Solo Performance...

GXP RCD - Exhaust Kit- Solo Performance-solo-xmas-card-2012-.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: