Lights Out For Solo Cats - Page 13 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #181 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM

Any other way to get CEL from cat off?

I have the high-flow cat from Solo, and recently installed their cat-back exhaust. Unfortunately, the position of the O2 sensor bung makes it point at the frame, so I can't use one of the long extenders. I tried a shorter extender, about 1.25" long, but the code still sets. Is there another solution to keep the CEL off? My car is due for inspection by the end of this month, and I'm running out of options.

Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WintR View Post
I have the high-flow cat from Solo, and recently installed their cat-back exhaust. Unfortunately, the position of the O2 sensor bung makes it point at the frame, so I can't use one of the long extenders. I tried a shorter extender, about 1.25" long, but the code still sets. Is there another solution to keep the CEL off? My car is due for inspection by the end of this month, and I'm running out of options.
Why are you asking these questions here? Deal directly with Solo. Their representative on this forum is Steve Mariano (Spiky3480). Go to the source.

2008 Brazen Orange/Ebony GXP, 5 Spd, Full Options
F5 CAI, Dejon IC/Pipes, PCM4L, DDM Backbone, Pro-Beam, Injector Cover, Cross-bay Brace, Fuel Filter, Power Steering Relo, Solo Cat/Mach Exhaust, A-Pod, Aeroforce Gauges, Chrome Turboshield, Wind Restrictor, De-Badged, JPM Visors/Shifter/Boot, Orange Shift Ball, Calipers, Diffuser Valance, Wolo Air Horn, Trailer Hitch.

2009 Wicked Merlot/Ebony GXP, Auto, Full Options
Bone Stock

Member LISSC, SCCA
post #183 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Actually, I've tried their email, too. I finally got a response, and that was to call Jeff, at a Canadian exchange. Someone from Solo checks this area out from time to time, and I had hoped an easy fix could be posted for others to see, if they needed it.

Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
post #184 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi Wintr. Sorry to hear that you are having troubles. It would be easier to clarify over the phone but I'll give it a shot here. Were we aware that you already had our High Flow Cat when we shipped you the exhaust kit? Were there 2 O2 bungs in the front pipe of the exhaust kit. If there are 2 O2 bungs in the front exhaust pipe the rear most hole is the one to use. If the O2 extender is hitting the frame you can usually loosen the front pipe at the front and reat connection ( also loosen the extra Solo hanger ) and roll the whole pipe towards the drivers side. This will give your pipe more height and will also bring down the O2 bung enough to have the extender miss the frome. Wintr are you at all close to Buffalo or Toronto? We would be happy to do it for you at one of our stores. Please feel free to call me at 905-703-1557 ( Jeff ) Thanks and good luck.
post #185 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 AM

I don't recall anything about letting you know that I had your cat on the ordering info, but just may have not noticed; the exhaust I bought was the Quiet version for those with high-flow cats and headers. Only one O2 bung in the front pipe, and yes, to get the sensor to clear the frame with the short extender, I had to roll the pipe to the driver's side. The long extender has no chance of a fit.
I'm in St. Louis, MO, so a bit far from you; also, my normal phone can't call that number (it's pre-paid), so I have to use my other phone, which I don't have with me at work. How late in the day do you answer that phone number?

post #186 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Well, I found out what caused the code. Since I couldn't keep it from setting, I decided to put the stock cat back in. When I took the Solo cat out, I looked into it, and saw that it had half melted away. Apparently, it won't stand up to headers, their high-flow exhaust, and autocross at or near full throttle for 60 seconds.

post #187 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintR View Post
Well, I found out what caused the code. Since I couldn't keep it from setting, I decided to put the stock cat back in. When I took the Solo cat out, I looked into it, and saw that it had half melted away. Apparently, it won't stand up to headers, their high-flow exhaust, and autocross at or near full throttle for 60 seconds.
Yep, join the club.

Red Devil 07' Solstice - Sport Package ( traded in 2012' )
Black Widow 08' Solstice - GXP
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Car_Colage.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
post #188 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM

OK, so does anyone make a high flo cat that will stand up to WOT for extended periods of time?

TIA
post #189 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
now if you could work the magic on my NA

had a constant P0420 (Cat converter does not perform to GM specs) for
over a year now.

You guys checked it out a long time ago in Buffalo (unit was put on Sept. 08 in Stoney Creek and the header replaced in July 09) and you told me the CAT was performing fine and I believed Bob....still do. I also discussed this issue with Jeff at Wastegate last year. But, now, the code is unclearable.

I have a buddy who has a way to "mask" the code in the ECM so that it doesn't report and signal the engine light, but could cost me over $100.00

For now I really don't care, because I know it's not an issue..........but if I move to a different state I'm going to have to explain a lot to State Vehicle inspection.

Any suggestions to a guy that's been running SOLO for 4 years now?

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #190 of 193 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM

i also have the code, will this hurt the car in any way shape or for (performance wise). i just got the cat, and didn't put the bung on
post #191 of 193 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys. Sorry to hear about the troubles. The check engine light is just an indicator that something "may" be wrong and the light doesn't hurt the performance in any way. Having said that you don't want the light on mainly because it's an annoyance and it will also mask the engine light should it come on for something important. Converters are a wear item and usually last about 7 years with normal driving. The wide open throttle doesn't seem to hurt the cats as much as when the car runs rich. If the car is running a bit rich the damage gets exaggerated at wide open throttle. Guys if you have any specific questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at 905-703-1557 and I'll do my best to address each problem individually. Thanks.
post #192 of 193 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO View Post
Hi Guys. Sorry to hear about the troubles. The check engine light is just an indicator that something "may" be wrong and the light doesn't hurt the performance in any way. Having said that you don't want the light on mainly because it's an annoyance and it will also mask the engine light should it come on for something important. Converters are a wear item and usually last about 7 years with normal driving. The wide open throttle doesn't seem to hurt the cats as much as when the car runs rich. If the car is running a bit rich the damage gets exaggerated at wide open throttle. Guys if you have any specific questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at 905-703-1557 and I'll do my best to address each problem individually. Thanks.
Just got back from Solo outside of Toronto on the 4th of July, I had them install their 1st SQR-2 kit on a Sky and when they removed my old Solo Mach shorty w/resonator the O2 sensor was burned off and the high flow cat was totally empty, and all the wadding was melted and almost totally blocking the resonator. After the New SQR-2 and new high flow cat was installed the car has never run better. Dave and Randy at DDM spent hours and hours trying to figure out why the car was missing and throwing codes, the car just never seemed to run good for any length of time. I'm wondering now if the cat problem and the plugged resonator may have been the problem all along. Oh and yes my sevice dealer was able to clear the codes and my check engine light is off for the 1st time in 2 years. I know that a supercharged engine normally runs a little richer, I just hope the rich condition doesn't cause the wadding to melt again.
post #193 of 193 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Sky View Post
Just got back from Solo outside of Toronto on the 4th of July, I had them install their 1st SQR-2 kit on a Sky and when they removed my old Solo Mach shorty w/resonator the O2 sensor was burned off and the high flow cat was totally empty, and all the wadding was melted and almost totally blocking the resonator. After the New SQR-2 and new high flow cat was installed the car has never run better. Dave and Randy at DDM spent hours and hours trying to figure out why the car was missing and throwing codes, the car just never seemed to run good for any length of time. I'm wondering now if the cat problem and the plugged resonator may have been the problem all along. Oh and yes my sevice dealer was able to clear the codes and my check engine light is off for the 1st time in 2 years. I know that a supercharged engine normally runs a little richer, I just hope the rich condition doesn't cause the wadding to melt again.
How long was the previous set up in?

2008 Sky Midnight Blue, Redline, DDM Backbone, Probeam & Venom braces, DDM/JPM Diamond stitched leather/Alcantara 2 cup console, Wind Restrictor V2 & Blue lighted doorsills, HPTuned to 310HP/350 torque, ASAP Graphics Blue Logo & SKY side light overlays, MRZ Blue Anodized Engine Bay covers, Putco Nitro Blue Halogen Hi/Lo beam & Fog Lights, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Dashboss datalogger, Curt Redline hitch with a Draw-Tite Cargo Carrier supporting a Koolatron Cargo Box colour matching the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: